• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Cooler on 160 horse

kevinbarton1

San Antonio, TX
Has anyone put the 160 HP STC on and how did you mount the oil cooler. When I try to use the mounting bracketry it contacts the starter battery post.

Here it is finished, note the little dogleg in the leg that goes by the battery connection.

E0981B37-09CA-4864-B424-4FA09FD89238.jpeg

Attachments

• E0981B37-09CA-4864-B424-4FA09FD89238.jpeg
    E0981B37-09CA-4864-B424-4FA09FD89238.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Hi there I have a 160 wide deck with a rear mounted oil cooler works great

we have a narrow deck, and thought about putting a rear mount on it, but the cooler itself doesn't have any mounting points, so you have to use the brackets that go around the fittings.

OLDCROWE, thanks for the pic, I can have that modification done fairly easily.

If you have a cooler up front leave it. Putting it in the back makes it a pain when you have to work on mags or anything else on that side. It was a fad for a while to move them but not worth it.
DENNY

What starter are you using? I have installed the NL SkyTec and cut that lug off and pried the rear tube out just a hair.
IMG_20181031_140646.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181031_140646.jpg
    IMG_20181031_140646.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,062
IMG_0755.JPG

I used a sky tech 122-12PM and modified the bracket. I was able to mock it up on my old case before installing it on overhauled engine.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 194
I completely re-did mine also. I did it a little differently than Craig, but similar idea. Craig, next time I see you we should compare, just for grins.

Anyone been having problems with the Skytech starters? Have heard mixed reviews lately. Thanks for any info

Anyone been having problems with the Skytech starters? Have heard mixed reviews lately. Thanks for any info
Never had good service out of PM/LS starters on 180 hp engines. Have had excellent service out of them on 150/160s. Great service with the NLs on all engines and have installed a couple of the XLT starters and will see how the last.

yes.
I had a new one fail in 10 hours on an O-320 from some sort of internal corrosion.
the factory warranted it very quick and covered the freight.

Put that one on and the solenoid failed in 12 hours. Again factory quickly replaced with a new one.

in the mean time I switched to a B&C and have had no troubles.

I now have a brand new spare 122 NL on the shelf in Anchorage if anyone is interested.

FYI. I’ve been running a 122 NL on my 180 hp and it has worked great for 400 plus hours.

I went to an aft mounted cooler on a 160 wide deck. If I had it to do over again, I would leave it up front. The problem is PlanePower STC requires you to move the oil cooler. If you can avoid it, I would go to a high efficiency unit up front.

The problem is PlanePower STC requires you to move the oil cooler.
Their STC permits moving the oil cooler, without an additional STC. It's not required. I have Plane Power and front oil cooler.

Back