• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stick Cover

I'm not necessarily a new member, just one that's rarely on here, since I must spend more valuable time working on the cub rebuild. I quit FB so I could get something done. Anyhow, anyone have any ideas on how to attach a homemade stick cover box to the floor? Pics would be good...

I'm not necessarily a new member, just one that's rarely on here, since I must spend more valuable time working on the cub rebuild. I quit FB so I could get something done. Anyhow, anyone have any ideas on how to attach a homemade stick cover box to the floor? Pics would be good...

Does your box have a flange? Velcro.

Does your box have a flange? Velcro.
If you plan on packing baggage around this box you should use something more secure than velcro which could be moved with a side load thereby causing possible control restriction/jamming at a most inopportune time.

Build a square box with a bottom flange and screw it to the floor, or install nut plates, or? The old shooting style in the day had the box permanently installed. Top of box just above top of stick stub. Box big enough to permit full movement of stick stub when box installed. Box topped with a removable lid, fastened by a couple PK screws. Lid has small flange which fits over top of box.

This design protects the stick stub, but quickly permits access to install the stick. Box itself is (more or less) permanently installed.

MTV

Here is my cover it has flanges and attaches with Velcro strips therefore does not require STC and is not permanent. IMG_2360.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_2360.JPG
    IMG_2360.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 213
At $475.00 for a simple piece of plastic?

I should test some industrial strength Velcro on the entire flange against the two small buckles riveted to thin plastic. I'd wager Velcro is tougher in every direction. Especially in a carbon fiber floor.

If you don't like what's available, just fab a sheet metal box and attach it to the floor with quarter turn fasteners or screws/nut plates. Triple check that the stick hub has complete freedom of movement inside the box. Log entry and done.

Web

Mike, how you be? The garrett powered OAS beaver on ampigs is hanging in Ted Stevens/ANC airport...sad but true. Uncle Sam probably didn't save up for the hot section overhaul... My box is designed with a hinged top and a springer screw as the fastener. Your method(s) of attachment is what I was thinking. Velcro maybe also. Thx.

Small bucket with appropriate cutouts and bungee corded to forward bar of rear seat frame. Can take quite a bit of weight on top and can be removed in seconds. Properly done it doesn’t move and has plenty of clearance for stub to move. Pax can set stuff on it as well. Plus you got a bucket if you need one....cutouts and all.

I have a new in the box Atlee Dodge stick cover. I no longer own my PA-18. I would entertain a reasonable offer. Email me at N5ZU(at)att.net.

SOLD!

Last edited:
I went with fabricating my own box with hinged top and a set screw for easy access to the rear stick stub, the bottom of which is fastened by nut plates countersunk through the floor boards. Waaaay cheaper than Atlee cover. Thanks for everyone's ideas...

$427.50 new. http://www.fadodge.com/rear-stick-cover/

txpacer gave me this cover for the back seat made out of plywood with a hump for the stick stub. Pretty simple and could be expanded on to close up the bottom. Works great for taking my dogs to the river.
20191023_111409.jpg

20191023_111421.jpg

20191023_111430.jpg

IMG_20190120_132204.jpg

Attachments

• 20191023_111409.jpg
    20191023_111409.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 797
  • 20191023_111421.jpg
    20191023_111421.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 786
  • 20191023_111430.jpg
    20191023_111430.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_20190120_132204.jpg
    IMG_20190120_132204.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 790
With access to a sheet metal brake, you can make a stick cover that looks "professional" in a short time. It's just a box. Fix the bottom of the box to the floor, and make a lid that slides on and fastens with a couple screws.

MTV

Surprised carbon concepts hasn’t started making them. If I remember right Atlees is heavy.

A pound and some change. Didn’t weigh mine but it felt heavier.
I am also surprised Randy hasn’t built something similar. The hardware is similar to what comes on plastic cowboy hat storage boxes.

Back