• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub gear legs and tailwheel assembly weight?

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I am cubless right now and only have the Ponked C-180. I wish I would have kept some of my old Cub weight and balance info.

How much does the average Scott 3200 tail wheel assembly weigh ( with tire) and what would a set of supercub main gear probably weigh with 31 inch ABWs?

I am trying to figure an approximate useful load on floats. I know that EDO 2000s weigh 263 with S.C. rigging. Just trying to figure out if my guess of about 100 pounds in wheels and gear legs is close.

Not exactly what you are asking for, but for what it's worth. My 3" extended s. cub. gear with bungees and hydrasorbs, cleveland wheels and brakes and 26 inch goodyears weight 100lbs. 31's would up that considerably. Forgot to add that both gear legs have alum angle long fueling steps. Hopes this helps a little.

So that was 100 lbs without your tailwheel weight?
I keep thinking my old PA-11 with PA-18-95 gear and 26 inch Goodyears, plus the tailwheel was around 100 pounds when I removed it for floats.

I am trying to guess-ta-mate the useful legal load for a 1935 gross weight PA-12 on EDO 2000s... if it currently weighs 1250 on big tires.
1250-100= 1150.....plus 263 for EDO 2000s, = 1413 empty. With a 1935 gross that only gives a 522 pound legal load. Only 400 pounds with 20 gallons of fuel.

Alex
31 inch tires are 32 lbs ea.
wheels and brakes 8.8 ea side.
So you,ve got 82 lbs just in tires and wheels.
Rest of gear with cables etc. heavy duty gear 1 1/2 “ springs, Long steps, EST 35 - 40 lbs.

120 ish is closer.

248 for the floats is what I recall. That may have been new, and with one rudder.

A 1250 lb 12 with big tires and gross wt increase is a light one.

Gear legs ((and other gear parts) very GREATLY in weight depending on manufacture and versions

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

FWIW, AD Alum fueling step weighs 7 lbs, just pounded one in the ground to stake up my leaning apricot tree.
31”s make better fueling steps ;-)

Last edited:
Yes, true. My fueling step is from Javron and weighs about a pound and a half. Much less than the AD one.

Bill

Cubpilot2
I have weighed 3 sets of Cub rigged EDO 2000s, on the digital truck scales up by the local dump. 259, 265 and 271. After deducting the weight of my snowmachine trailer.
Probably depends on the layers of paint and how many times they have been ground on...

I agree that 1250 sounds a wee bit on the light side. That is what the owner said about his super cool looking 12. It probably needs to be run onto some scales. ...

Just doing some calculations.
My Ponked 180 is great for fishing guiding, lake kayaking, heading out to our remote cabin or flight seeing,,,, BUT it does not work for float ratings. So of course this last summer everybody wanted float ratings and hardly anyone wanted to go fishing or kayaking.
So I am thinking about going back to a Cub for ratings.
12s will do just fine, but on check-ride day the weight and balance needs to work out.

Last year I removed the original gear, wheels, and brakes, from an early 50's super cub to replace with new heavy duty gear. The original did not have hydrasorbs and weighed 60 lbs. not including tailwheel.

Alex, From the official EDO weight and balance affidavit:
PA-18 on EDO 2000 the complete installation is 263 pounds at +14" aft of wing leading edge.
PA-12 on EDO 2000 the complete installation is 265 pounds at +14.2" aft of wing leading edge.
Add 4 pounds @ 15" for the spreader fairing kit.

The PA-12 aft fuselage fittings are slightly larger than the -18.
The -12 front fittings have a aluminum plate which extends under the shock cord truss. These two things account for the extra 2 pounds.
So, if the -12 has a -18 gear use the -18 numbers.

I think the info here is enough to SWAG my calculations for a possible useful. There are a lot of highly modified 12s out there with very creative weight and balance sheets.
Boy, the prices have really jumped on 12s.
I like the extra side room for instructing so I can see around the client.

Back