• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Snowshoe Lake crash: Wing spar inspection - why it’s important?

"The aircraft, which was owned by the pilot," Was this an owner maintained airplane? Or owner not maintained?
"
The passenger,...... was in the rear part of the tandem-seat Piper, but no seat was installed." No seat?
"
Lap belts were installed in both the front and rear seating positions, but neither occupant wore them." ????????

Three points which raise further questions and observations, which I shall keep to myself.

The report notes that punch testing IAW the AD was performed post-crash. Only one perceptible dent resulted. That says to me that the punch test is worthless.

When we restored my PA-11 shop air blown through the old struts created a cloud of rust. That was after passing punch tests per AD performed before I owned the plane. We replaced the struts and forks.

Gary

Punch test on struts or longerons are USELESS!!! you have better chance winning the lottery daily then lining up on an internal rust “inverted pit”!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

There are a lot of squares in that graph paper but I also look up the strut with the borescope and oil the struts. It doesn't look like this was done by the maintainer of this aircraft. I can not imagine sitting on my safety belts. I feel uncomfortable in my truck driving on the airport without my set belt and put on my belts to taxi to the fuel pump. Have seen to many people step on the brakes and go forward with nothing to stop them until the airplane is on it's nose. Not a pleasant sound or fix. Looks like many reasons that two people died in this case.

Back