Thread: Super Cub Experimental Fabric Tools required.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Cub Experimental Fabric Tools required.

My kit is ordered and wanting suggestions on Fabric Tools Required or a kit I can buy. Any suggestions on tools required or suppliers of kits for Fabric building . Super Cub PA 18 Air Tech Covering Kit .
    Likes Robbie S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The best fabric trick Mike showed me was to have lots of rib stitch needles. One for each rib. Push theem all through from one side, walk to the other side and push them back the other way. So much better than back and forth with one needle. Probably a common pro trick but I'm not a pro.
    Thanks Lowleveldevil thanked for this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    The best fabric trick Mike showed me was to have lots of rib stitch needles. One for each rib. Push theem all through from one side, walk to the other side and push them back the other way. So much better than back and forth with one needle. Probably a common pro trick but I'm not a pro.
    actually every other rib, or you step in and/or stab yourself... and I bought a half dozen of every length available since your last visit...... not sure why.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowleveldevil View Post
    My kit is ordered and wanting suggestions on Fabric Tools Required or a kit I can buy. Any suggestions on tools required or suppliers of kits for Fabric building . Super Cub PA 18 Air Tech Covering Kit .
    I'm sure Robby at Airtech can get you a list and supplies. The one thing that's really used a lot in my shop is the digital small and large irons. Stewart Systems can get both for you. Another thing that I use a bunch is an Olfa rotary cutter with a pinking blade in.
    John
    Last edited by Hardtailjohn; 10-20-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pinking shears. Know how to sharpen them. Good straight scissors. Ice pick. Good paint brushes. Good containers - I really liked the old metal tennis ball containers. Wood clothes pins. A couple small heavy blocks to help glue inspection openings.

Check out the new way to rib stitch. Way easier, much better looking, and faster. Just learned it last week.

https://youtu.be/6Y-oU1ikcAA
    Thanks Pete Schoeninger, Lowleveldevil thanked for this post
    Likes phdigger123, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    AirTech uses catalyzed materials. Very bad for your respiratory system. Get a fresh air breathing system. Iíve got a Hobby Air system thatís works well, but it isnít NIOSH approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    ..Get a fresh air breathing system. I’ve got a Hobby Air system that’s works well, but it isn’t NIOSH approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    only used fresh air system when starting out.... sold it decades ago....

and don't put the fresh air source hose outside!! when its well below zero Fahrenheit... you think drinking a milk shake fast headache is bad!!! try this!!

just use a good mask with filters... change them each year or so....

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a box of 100 single edge razor blades. They go dull very quickly, so don't hesitate to toss it and get another. Don't be afraid to use the whole box on one airplane. A sharp blade is a great and wonderful thing.

Scissors also go dull but not quite as quickly. Again, don't be afraid to toss them and buy another pair. Or sharpen them if you know how.

Don't be afraid to take a long needle and bend it to what you need, or basically make your own. So buy several shapes and sizes of needles.

An IR thermometer is great to have to check your iron temp

Several straight edges, of different lengths. 6" 12" 18" 3' 5'

Spring clamps can be very helpful

Pinking shears

Hope this helps

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Highly recommend Fiskars brand scissors and shears. If you keep them clean, they hold a fantastic cutting edge. And the edges can be touched up quickly or completely resharpened as needed.

If you just start out covering a simple item, you'll see what tools you'll want. Nothing fancy required, unless you count a digital thermometer as fancy.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ir thermometer Will lie on a shinny iron. Best on dark. Seen holes melted in fabric by a guy using one....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    My fav scissors for covering and teaching seminars is the Singer Nano point. With a pair of these, a Florian Rotary Pinker, and a standard Fiskars Pinking sheers I'm all set for cutting fabric. Digital irons are the only way to go; IR checking temps will not work. Even the instructions with the IR says they are very inaccurate on different materials; not to be trusted. I use the CoverRite Pocket Thermometer to occasionally check the digital and have never found them to be off by much at all. Everything you need to cover can fit in a shoe box.
    Marty

N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com
    Likes Bill Rusk, ak49flyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    only used fresh air system when starting out.... sold it decades ago....

and don't put the fresh air source hose outside!! when its well below zero Fahrenheit... you think drinking a milk shake fast headache is bad!!! try this!!

just use a good mask with filters... change them each year or so....
    That mask with fresh filters will NOT stop any of the isocyanide!!! I know, I wound up in the hospital from it...damned near dead. That's one of the main reasons what is now "Stewart System" was developed. You're literally living on borrowed time.
    John
    Likes dgapilot, phdigger123 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    Check out the new way to rib stitch. Way easier, much better looking, and faster. Just learned it last week.

https://youtu.be/6Y-oU1ikcAA
    Haven't used a modified seinne knot for over 20 years. We got the "Staggerwing knot" approved and never looked back. Way less monkey motion!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    Ir thermometer Will lie on a shinny iron. Best on dark. Seen holes melted in fabric by a guy using one....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

in a pinch, stretch a scrap of fabric tape over the face of the iron, both ends held in your iron hand. Shoot it with an ir thermometer with your free hand, kind of awkward but works.
    or .. get a digital iron..
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post