• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Seper Cub vs Cub - fuselage

MDECARLI

Hi boys,
I am big fan of aircrafts, models from Czech Rep
I for example do master for resin kits models in 1/72
I like fly on old machines, and...
I flown on L4 a few years ago
and
I flown last week on L18C (ex USAF, anf Luftwafe)

I have one question about fuselage
I did sudy many many drawing, but I still not know correct diferent

- 1st have Cub and Super Cub the same breadth ? in not - what many cm is diferent in cocpit ?
- 2nd have fuselage the same side view ?

Drawing see - fuselages the same from instrument panel
¨but
I think that Super Cub is "slightly bloated"

I would like truth from experts
Thanks Martin Decarli
Czech Republic

J3, PA11 and the Super Cub PA18 are the same dimensions. The fit in the same fuselage jig with an adapter for the front spar fittings. The seat is oin a different location. I believe the instrument panel is in about the same place.

Yes, I have all the drawings and the jig and have repaired quite a few J3, PA11 and PA18 fuselages. Width is identical.

I have bolted many PA-18 engine mounts directly on to J-3 fuselages to make Restricted category 135HP and 150 J-3's. Same width, minus some braces; and the bird cage differs. I've actually had people tell me the J-3 birdcage has some strength advantages, but of course you have the wing spars slightly blocking your view - and they can be safety hazard for your head. With the fad for sitting super high in the seats with big cushions that could be a problem, but I always preferred to be more centered in the fuselage and have a better grip on the stick. You tend to hold on tight when you're terrified. :Gwhoa:

cu 37.jpgcu 34.jpgcu 70.jpgJá Piper.jpg

Attachments

• cu 37.jpg
    cu 37.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 328
  • cu 34.jpg
    cu 34.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 215
  • cu 70.jpg
    cu 70.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Já Piper.jpg
    Já Piper.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 266
Super Cub (L18C ex Luftwaffe) over Stutgart /Germany)
and replica L4H over Prague
Thank You for infou about fuselage !!!
I really believed that L18 is wider....

PS Yes, I know, bird cage is diferent...

Interesting replies - I did not know that the J-3 and PA-18 used the same jig and I always assumed that the PA-18 fuselage was way stronger than a J-3. What dictates gross weight - the fuselage or the wings? I expect the undercarriage also has heavier tubing in the 18? It’s interesting to me because the J-3 gross cannot be increased over 1320 lbs while 18s come in 1500 and 1750 flavors and can be upped to 2000 plus...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Yes Brandsman - many my friend thit to today that fuselage from 18 is bigger.....
PS All plastic kits in world also have fuselage wider

PS II I did master for J3 1/72 plastic kits and I did fusselage
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]slightly narrower :-:)-:)-(J 3 2.jpgJ 3 4.jpg[/COLOR]​
cu 31.jpg

Attachments

• cu 31.jpg
    cu 31.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 192
  • J 3 2.jpg
    J 3 2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 182
  • J 3 4.jpg
    J 3 4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 185
The dimensions are the same. The PA18 has more tubing and heavier duty gear/strut attach fittings. The landing gear on a PA18 is the same part number as the higher groww weigh J3.

Steve, if you don’t mind the question, have you ever compared the J-5A to a PA-12 in terms of fuselage structures? I imagine they are not identical but must be pretty close.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I have no experience with the J5 and limited with the PA12. I would obtain drawings for each fuselage from the Cub Club and compare.

Back