Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Loading/Unloading big heavy dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Loading/Unloading big heavy dogs

Well, my wife now has a Rottweiler and it's time to introduce him to flight. Last check he is 110 lbs and 1.5 years of age, still has some filling out to do. I am not interested in hoisting this fella in and out of the 12 with my back. Full 15 gallon fuel jugs are plenty of wrasslin' and they don't squirm and claw fabric.

Going to wrap the back seat in carpet for paw traction and certainly harness him in. Got the mutt muffs covered, he likes wearing them. She will be riding with him for his comfort in case he gets spooked and also she will be on the trottle side to deter him from too much interest in the power knob.

So....since it is a proven fact that pilots are dog people, and I am not wanting to re invent the wheel, here is my question: Anyone here have a light weight, Piper portable(I have the full blown extended baggage) doggy ramp/step/loading/unloading system in mind or in use?

Thanks again, Joe
    "Always looking up"
    Likes Delta Cub, JeffP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My 125lb rott trusted me and would get in anything i asked her to, she loved riding in anything that moved, planes, boats, truck you name it. getting her in the plane was easy but out took a bit especially on floats, her favourite way to exit was to put her paws on my shoulders and kinda bear hug me but at 125lbs that was better for her then me. They are a smart breed and will figure out how they want to exit if you leave it up to them.
    Is this your first rottweiler? If it is you will find he may pick one person and be very very attached, one of my favourite breeds!

Post Thanks / Like
    There's folding - 2 or 3 piece - ramps available online. Maybe one that once folded would fit next to the seat on the door side or back in the baggage. Harness and mutt muffs are a good accessory. Watch as they enter or exit as feet and claws find fabric cover interesting.

Rottweilers are great and a neighbor at the airport has one. She's one for fun with my Airedale and likes to sit on my feet and eat treats. Lays flat and low until another dog passes then leaps straight up with legs extended to surprise.

Gary
    Likes skukum12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes skukum12, Tennessee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a more suitable airplane?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cub, he is my first Rott and my wife's sixth I believe. He is thoroughly attached to both of us and this is so even though we adopted him at just over a year of age.

Gary, this guy loves to "scare" us by laying flat even in plain sight. We had a nice neighborhood dog that would routinely cross our property to go see his girlfriend. Well our boy Otis was outside on the runner, went flat and silent when he saw the canine Romeo coming. Otis sprung to life barking(never attacked, we do keep him on a tight leash)and put the fear of God in him. My wife said it was unreal how fast Romeo turned and burned back through the brush and trees not bothering with the driveway he came by. Been about 7 months and haven't seen him since.
    "Always looking up"