• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Shoulder Width of fat body 18 compared to 18???

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
Does anyone know offhand the should width at the front seat of a fat-body PA-18 verses a Stock PA-18?

IS it the same as a PA-12 (33 inches at the front seat shoulder and 36 in the rear) or something different?

Fat-body is a relative term I tell my wife it is just winter emergency gear. Three types of fat cubs out now. 4 in wide body (that should be 4 inches wider). Airframes experimental 3 place (same as a 12 I believe). STC 4 place cub (wider than a 12). Call Airframes Gabe may have the real numbers in his head or can tell you who to call.
DENNY

Odd that Air Frames 4 seat double wide is certified, but the 3 seat PA-12 type is not.

The 4 place is an old STC, Ron Sullivian if I remember right they just make the frame. The 3 seat is a newer project STC's take a lot of time and money.
DENNY

As I stuff myself into a my standard width airframe, it reminds me of WalMart on a Saturday afternoon...

Thanks for all the measurements. I was thinking that a AirFrames wide body would be more like a PA-12 in width. ( around 33 inches at the front seat back and 32 inches at the front of the door. ) but I guess not.
Instructing from the back seats of regular width Cubs gets to be a pain with wide shouldered clients sitting up front. For years I sat up on cushions with my head twisted sideways up in the tubing.
PA-12s work fine for instructing from the back seat, but they do not have the angle of incidence nor all the available STCs. Thus the idea for a wide body 18...

Back