• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Cabane Vee Questions..

daedgerton

PATRON
Arlington, VA
Repairing the 12 after the ground loop... My 12 has the 18 gear STC SA669AL (Crosswinds). Ordered a cabane from FA Dodge and when to check fit and it was too short. Turns out the distance between the cabane attach points is 27 11/16 inches vs. the 25 7/8 as called for in the STC and how FA Dodge builds their cabanes...

Any thoughts? Cliff from FA Dodge has been very helpful. They are going to build me a custom one to fit. Was my fuselage widened? He mentioned that some 12's were not built in Lock Haven and had slight differences..

See pictures below:
IMG_1117.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1122.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 278
Depends on who manufactured the weld on fittings and how they got welded on. Usually you use the cabine v as a jig to make sure everything is straight when welding. Atlee sells the tabs and everything fit perfect on mine. I wonder if your original cabine is for a PA-14 with 3” extended gear? That might explain the width problem. Ask Cliff to measure one for a -14 with extended gear.

Depends on who manufactured the weld on fittings and how they got welded on. Usually you use the cabine v as a jig to make sure everything is straight when welding. Atlee sells the tabs and everything fit perfect on mine. I wonder if your original cabine is for a PA-14 with 3” extended gear? That might explain the width problem. Ask Cliff to measure one for a -14 with extended gear.

FYI.....-12 and -14 are same width down there.

Cliff is a wealth of knowledge however you slice it, tho. ........and happens to own a -12

FYI.....-12 and -14 are same width down there.

Cliff is a wealth of knowledge however you slice it, tho. ........and happens to own a -12

Yes, he has been very helpful. Our tail numbers are fairly close as well...

On another note... if you run 3 in extended gear do you need a modified cabane?

Last edited:
Cabanes the same. Lower leg length are different for 3" gear. If you go with an AOSS, you should measure everything up and Burl will make sure it all works right with the cabane you have.

I am in the middle of changing my PA-12 to a PA-18 gear and have run into the same problem I had bought the cabane from Atlee and its to short to install I am going to call Atlee Dodge on Monday and see about solving this problem. My -12 serial number is 12-1866
EV

I am in the middle of changing my PA-12 to a PA-18 gear and have run into the same problem I had bought the cabane from Atlee and its to short to install I am going to call Atlee Dodge on Monday and see about solving this problem. My -12 serial number is 12-1866
EV

Atlee has been super helpful so far. My custom vee is currently under construction.

My son and I just just finished a 12 with the last Dakota airframe he built and took 6 in gear and cabane of old frame that had cub gear stc and fit right on new frame . I will measure width

Have you talked to Charlie at Crosswind STOL? Wondered if he might know why the difference.

Yes, I did speak with him. He said that the standard width is 25 7/8 per the SA669AL drawing. I pulled out the drawing (pictured above) and yes, the drawing states 25 7/8 but the tape measure doesn't lie!

Yes, I did speak with him. He said that the standard width is 25 7/8 per the SA669AL drawing. I pulled out the drawing (pictured above) and yes, the drawing states 25 7/8 but the tape measure doesn't lie!
Could it be as simple as you ordering a cabane V for a PA-18 instead of for a PA-12 with an -18 gear? The V would be wider for a -12.

Atlee grumbled about my -12 cabane not complying with the STC since that STC was used for my PMA’d replacement airframe. But Atlee grumbled about a lot of things. ;)

A friend mentioned that a PA-18 cabane for a 4 inch wider fuselage might fit. I'm just going to go with the one Atlee is making me at 27 11/16. will post pics once I get it....

Back