• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Does your C180 cylinder baffle look like this?

So I went down to look for saggy mounts... they don't look too saggy to me... click to enlarge.

mount1.pngmount2.png

Attachments

• mount1.png
    mount1.png
    736.2 KB · Views: 182
  • mount2.png
    mount2.png
    838.5 KB · Views: 165
SJ, I was just giving you a rash, because I know I read somewhere that Tinnerman nuts require type B screws, due to difference in thread pitch and very slight difference in root diameter between type A and type B. In my experience the type B screws seem to hold better.

The Specification Chart part of this page https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/tinnerman2.php?clickkey=5485 indicates type B.

However, page 68 in this pdf seems to permit either. https://spaenaur.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Tinnerman-Products-C67-C101.pdf

So now I'm confused. Can you pros out there set me straight (with certainty, rather than just opinion)?

I do not have it on my P-Ponked 180

Attachments

• 2008-12-31 155 (1280x778).jpg
    2008-12-31 155 (1280x778).jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 255
The three variables. Balance tube, induction, and fuel flow. But that said, I wonder if that baffle increases heat at #5 or reduces it.

There is a very old Cessna SB that calls for the addition of that #5 baffle for the IO470 to even out cooling.

I had an O-520 in an L-19 Bird Dog and could never figure out why???? they put the oil cooler in front of the cylinders, blocking the cooling air, and perhaps pre-heating the air going over the cylinders? Am I just being stupid, or was this a bad idea? :Gwhoa:

The cooler doesn't block any air. There's a baffle behind the cooler to prevent air from going down in front of #5. The cooling of #5 comes from the pressure cowl doing it's job. Ram air to an exposed head isn't very important judging by how both my front cylinders are blocked and I have really even temps as a result. The dam in front of #6 improves the cooling of #4 in my engine. Maybe I'll pull the shroud on #5 and see if the temp distribution changes. Naw, too much work. It's been a journey to get my temps where they are. I'm not messing with it.

The question remains, does the #5 shroud increase or decrease the CHT at #5?

A brief search of the Skywagon site says #5 shroud reduces #5 CHT by 25*. That's what I remembered being told when told to add it.

Back