• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Commonwealth SkyRanger 185

Hi all,

A friend just clued me into the existence of this thread. There's a pretty active Skyranger owners group online as well as resources (paperwork, digitized blueprints, etc) online. Message me off-thread with questions, or if you'd like to be added to that mailing group to ask questions to the gang at large.

-David Pablo Cohn, Commonwealth NC33395

Nice to see the old Skyranger on here!
It was almost my first airplane, there one here at Pushaw Lake in the mid 70's. Yellow and Blue ceconite recent cover, mid time C85 that ran great. On Federal 1500 skis . Asking price $2000. I went out to look at it and owner offered to let me fly it. I was firmilar with 65 Champs and 65 Tcrafts. He demonstrated a T/O with it
And it similar to the Tcraft in performance. Flew very similar. I played around with it for 1/2 hr and decided to buy it. He then says" let me have it" from about 300'agl he pushes the nose over and opens her up wide open and does a perfect loop right off the deck to show me "what she would do" ........ When we got out of it he says" whatcha think" I was sure if he was asking about the plane or his 200' loop I was still trying to recover from!
I told him I liked it and would need to arrange my finances for purchasing.
He then says" if it will help ya I will take $ 1800 for her".
I had saved $900 that summer and called my Dad all excited about the "SkyRanger" and the possibilities of "borrowing $900 for the purchase" he listened to my story and informed me
That probably the last thing on earth I needed was " a skiplane to play with" when I was soposed to be going to college........... He then informed me there were institutions called "Banks"
That might be another Avenue to pursue, but his recomendation was to forget it .......
So I never bought it and have regreated ever since! Lol. Fun little taildragger that seamed to do about anything a Chief or Tcraft did for "half price".

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

We had one on the field here for a few yrs. in the mid to late seventies. I flew it some along with t-crafts and a chief. It flew great and was roomier that the T-craft or Chief, but was heavy and underpowered with the 85HP. The rudder was also small for crosswind landings. As I look back on it now it was built like a tank and needed an0320. It worked ok on skies as long as the snow conditions were favorable, but used a lot or room. I was told recently that there was one for sale in the area, but don't know anything about it.

Back