• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A&P training

I always figured with the time & expense required to get an A&P myself,
it was probably cheaper & certainly easier to just work with one of my A&P or IA buddies
when it was time to do some repairs / mods or an inspection on my airplane.

But an A&P with 3 years experience can qualify to be an IA, then you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is true IF you are given the authorization to take the test. I had held my A&P for five years when I asked to test for IA. I got my pedigree read by the manager of the FSDO whom I had never met and whom had no knowledge of my skills or lack thereof . I got my letter of authorization but you would have thought I had bedded his three daughters and his wife and introduced his two sons to cocaine. Although everyone since has been professional and helpful that lambasting is still fresh in my mind and the reason for my crack in post #5.
The OP asked about a financial benefit. If you want to save money on your aircraft maintenance learn everything about your aircraft and all its parts. The guys who know their airplane inside out don't have to take it to a big FBO and write a blank check. These guys know what needs done when and how to do it and they are not A&Ps. They find a good IA and build a trust with him. They will point out the crack or broken cable strand or the flat spot on a tire. Then they do the work with his supervision. It doesn't happen overnight either. If it's too much trouble to learn about your mags, carburettor, electrical system and etc. it's going to be too much trouble to get an A&P. This also is based on you NOT being one of those guys who shouldn't be allowed to hold a screwdriver.

I have a repairman cert. on my two E-AB's. Building a airplane is a wonderful experience and you learn much. Indeed you learn enough building the first that the 2nd isn't too bad. I do not have to depend on anyone else to "legally" keep my airplanes in the air. That's great.

BUT

Does that mean that I can safely keep my airplanes flying? Maybe, maybe not. Frankly I need help, sometimes a lot of help. One does not need to know very much about engines and maybe other systems to complete a E-AB. You can buy a new engine or buy a core(or something in between) and install it well enough to pass inspection but you may not really know how to maintain it?

My point is that depending on your experience and ability it will still go a long way to be friends with a A&P/IA who knows your type of aircraft and be willing to even pay for his advice if necessary. YMMV

Over time one will learn the necessary skills but as other certified mechanics have already said, it's most reassuring to at least have another set of skilled eyes look over your work.

IMO there is no easy way to learn to "safely" maintain an airplane. But as long as you love airplanes at least it will be fun to learn. Personally I love airplanes and like working on them more than flying, but some days flying does confirm how wonderful they are. After almost 50 years i still look down and feel sorry for those poor folks tied to the ground.....

With due respect,

Jack

I agree with this 100%. I don't do it any differently. For sure at my level, it's not smart to trust only my experience/eyes on an airplane.

Here's an unsolicited thanks to Steve and Gilbert Pierce. Those guys are my go-to when I need help. I need to start sending them baked goods or something - but they might just prefer to be bothered less :lol: :lol:

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, but not for the same reasons as you intended it.

If it weren't for the E-AB category, I couldn't afford the airplane I have now.

It itsnt so much as afford an airplane but what im asking is does being an a&p help offset the cost significally owning the plane between parts and labor?

It itsnt so much as afford an airplane but what im asking is does being an a&p help offset the cost significally owning the plane between parts and labor?
Being an A&P isn't going to change the parts prices. Being an A&P, you will still need to find a friendly IA to perform the annuals. Why don't you just find the friendly IA and work with him without you having the A&P?
Back in the day, I as the local IA worked with the pilot owners on my airport with their annuals. They did most of the work and I did the inspections. They knew what I wanted and I knew what their capabilities were.

I could never have afforded to redo two airplanes without an IA who trusted me to not screw it up. Spent 14 months and 1100 hours on the 180. The IA bill was reasonable. The catch is that you must gain the trust of an IA to put their name on the line.

I've been doing all my own work for 40-some years. I'm not an A&P, but have been overseen by skilled, experienced licensed mechs. It has been a good learning experience, and I've reached a point where my IA trusts me quite a bit. And of course I do my very best to deserve that.

After doing my own overhauls and major maintenance, doing the drudge work at owner-assisted annuals assures that I continue to know the plane intimately.

The reason I got my IA was when a supposed knowlegable IA was looking over a Champ that I had just restored and recovered with Stitts he turned to me and said it was a real beauty and then asked me what grade of CANVAS I used to recover it. I just went along with him to get his signature and 3 months later I had my IA. Way to many prima donnas for me to put up with.

The A&P will save you money on maintenance. Not everyone has an A&P/IA that will work with them or allow them to work under their supervision. I don't know how old you are but think of how many years you have. It is something that cannot be taken away from you unless you do something bad. Great investment in my opinion.

Look at the details in the 8900.1 in certification of airmen. I did the experience route and had the 4800hrs of required experience. I did it because I own a maintenance business. It’s not for the faint of heart, the FAA is real careful about handing out permission to take the test. You won’t save any money. Likely cost you more as the knowledge and ability lead to more maintenance not less....once you know what your looking at, you see a lot more broken ****!

I got my A&P in 1988, working through an apprenticeship. Best thing I ever did--but I never intended to "work in the field." Going through the process I got tons of experience, and then was forced to do all the paperwork that was/is associated with it. If you're an owner working under a friendly IA, you may never get that sort of experience...depending upon the guy/gal you're working with. Therefore I'm of the opinion that if the OP wants to complete the training, then I say go for it!

Of course the logistics of the deal isn't easy. I was flight instructing in Wisconsin for a few years back in those days, so I had a LOT of time to turn wrenches over the long winter months when there wasn't much flying to be had. And even at that, it took several years to get the 30 months' experience in terms of hours of work. So it will be a challenge to do it no doubt--but I agree that it's unlikely a regimented school-based program will let you do it on a part-time basis. It seems like it would be too hard to keep track of the hours you need.

TB

I got my A&P through a one year school, was very intense! There are still a few one year schools around. I would go that route rather than part time. You will not regret getting your A&P, or your IA. If you plan on flying for a living, you will use that experience and knowledge everyday...As far as saving money on your own maint cost, you will save enough to justify the cost of A&P school. The biggest return on your A&P/IA is being able to buy airplanes that need work, flying them to build hours and then selling them. There is no need to rent airplanes.

Back