• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

WI Seaplane Operations Foreflight KML Map File

Paul Jackson

PATRON
MN
For WI Seaplane Pilots I created a custom map in Foreflight that highlights all of the legal, limited and prohibited water landing spots in the State. I also made pins to get you the info you need for limited lakes and Federal lands.

I created a KML map overlay file that you can turn on and off in Foreflight. I used Google Earth to map out the guide that the State of WI publishes for seaplane operations.

There isn't a ban on the lakes that are depicted. The State of Wisconsin directs a pilot to contact the designated authority. The affected lakes are in orange and I have pinned each lake or area with the name of the oversight authority.

The overlay is in KML file format. If you import the file here to your iPad (I used Dropbox to get it between the computer and the iPad) and then select the file now that it resides on your iPad and export it to Foreflight. Foreflight should open automatically and upload as a file in custom content and you select map at the right to send it to the map. To get it to display on the map go to maps and select it to display it. It should reside just below Fuel:Jet A on the bottom right of the list.

The map should improve situational awareness and gets the information out in front of you in a easy format to use in the cockpit.

If anybody has suggestions I will gladly add them to the file and update it. If you have good boat dock gas places, float plane friendly restaurants, etc let me know and I will create pins and add them to the mix.

Here is a link to the file in Dropbox to download it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7radbv75u5eawuy/Wisconsin%20Seaplane%20Restrictions%20v1.kml?dl=0

MN is in their airport directory. WI I got from the web on their aeronautics division web page. I think the WI data is a bit neglected. I picked up a 180 last fall in Northern Wisconsin and asked about the limits on a nearby lake and it was the first they had heard of it.....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Looking forward to trying it out, Paul.
Thanks
WI ( and I’m sure other states as well) have a number of lakes that have restrictions, which don't necessarily mean you can't operate on/off of the lake. The restriction may mean landings and departures more than 1,000’ from shore only or certain hour are restricted... these lakes are listed by the State without including the details.
I am going to try and identify these and have them updated in the SPA Water Landing Directory as a project for this summer.

Updates would be appreciated.....there were many in Wisconsin that were call local authorities.......that made me bet many are out of date.

I also would like to see a clean up the private seaplane bases....my guess is most are no longer maintained.

MN is in their airport directory. WI I got from the web on their aeronautics division web page.

Does that mean there’s a MN kml file like this? I searched but didn’t see anything. Thanks for doing WI. Works great!

Gregg

It's completely against forum policy to bump a thread so I will just make a useless post and make the MN file thread appear to the top of the threads.....look for it Gregg but don't tell the crabby guy that runs this forum I moved it for you......

Back