• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

MN Seaplane Operations Foreflight KML Map File

Paul Jackson

PATRON
MN
For MN Seaplane Pilots I created a custom map in Foreflight that highlights all of the legal, limited and prohibited water landing spots in the State. I also made pins to get you the info you need for limited lakes and Federal lands.

I created a KML map overlay file that you can turn on and off in Foreflight. I used Google Earth to map out the guide that the State of MN publishes for seaplane operations.

I outlined the 7 county metro area in red. Green was used to mark (fill in) legal seaplane lakes with no restrictions on them within the 7 county metro area. Orange was used to denote lakes with limitations and they have a pin on them with those limitations in the notes. I also used red to mark lakes that are prohibited from operations within State Parks throughout the State. For Federal lakes I used pins and some notes on them to delineate limitations within that Federal area. Note that any body of water that is not green within the 7 county metro area is prohibited for seaplane operations.

The overlay is in KML file format. If you import the file here to your iPad (I used Dropbox to get it between the computer and the iPad) and then select the file now that it resides on your iPad and export it to Foreflight. Foreflight should open automatically and upload as a file in custom content and you select map at the right to send it to the map. To get it to display on the map go to maps and select it to display it. It should reside just below Fuel:Jet A on the bottom right of the list.

The map should improve situational awareness and gets the information out in front of you in a easy format to use in the cockpit.

If anybody has suggestions I will gladly add them to the file and update it. If you have good boat dock gas places, restaurants, etc let me know and I will create pins and add them to the mix.

Here is a link to the file in Dropbox to download it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7zeyz1i7n5u4pt/MN%20Seaplane%20Operations%20Map%20v1.kml?dl=0

Paul,

Great work helping pilots to navigate a sometimes very confusing system of open, closed and dunno waters!

This is something SPA should have been doing years ago.

MTV

This is not a bump it is just a clever way to move the thread to the top so a completely innocent party can access the KMZ file......

Paul,

Is it possible to covert the file to an extension that will work on an Android device....?
E

Only if the application uses layers and not waypoints as a user input. A kml is a layer placed over a map. I don't see that as an option on the Android apps I have reviewed.

PJJ

Thanks for your map Paul. I think lower Red Lake may be off limits.

I don't see any limits on Red Lake in the MN Airport Directory. That doesn't mean there aren't some local ones that aren't published there. The tribe's DNR site also doesn't have a reference to float plane operations other than to note only tribal member boats may be used on certain lakes. Here is their website https://www.redlakednr.org/fisheries/fishing-regulations/

If you have something definitive I will note it.

PJJ

Paul, google airplane impounded on lower red lake,mn. Should lead to article published by Minneapolis Tribune on 9 February 2002. Sorry i couldn’t put link in reply.

The plane that was confiscated on Lower Red Lake was takin because the men were fishing illegally on the rez.

I think the guy that got caught poaching on the rez got his plane back.

Last edited:
Back