• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Gear part number location?

daedgerton

PATRON
Arlington, VA
I need to replace a left 3x3 PA18 gear leg... I can't seem to find in the logs / recipts / 337's which brand (AA or Atlee) the gear leg is as I would like them to match. Does this even matter? Any idea where I can find a part number on the gear legs so I can determine who made it?

IMG_0943.jpegIMG_0944.jpeg
IMG_0945.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0943.jpeg
    IMG_0943.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0944.jpeg
    IMG_0944.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0945.jpeg
    IMG_0945.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 198
Answer is none of the companies you mentioned. As best I can tell. Top like a normal or Atlee But don’t recognize that bottom welded on ears....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Answer is none of the companies you mentioned. As best I can tell. Top like a normal or Atlee But don’t recognize that bottom welded on ears....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Cool, appreciate that, I'll see if I can find some receipts... Maybe Univair?

It's definitely not AA, I have a set of those here that I'm fitting to a "Javelin"(stretched converted Tri-Pacer++++)

Cub Crafters is the only manufacturer of 3X3 gear, that is 3" extended and 3" forward. Doesn't look like any of the 3" gear I have seen. Only manufacturer's that I know of of 3" extended gear are Airframes, Atlee Dodge and Cub Crafters. Univair makes a heavy duty gear but am not aware of an extended gear. I do not recognize the way the way the fitting is fabricated to attach to the lower shock strut. Those gear look like EXPparts experimental gear to me, not certified. Some pictures of their standard gear and my experience here. https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?50611-Experimental-Parts

To add to what Steve said, 3x3 gear has a front leg that's forward of perpendicular to the fuselage, not 90 deg. What I'm seeing in the pic looks like 90 degrees. That may be 3" extended, but I'm not seeing the 3" forward. That doesn't look like anything I've ever seen. Frankly, if you're not packing an O-360 I don't see the need (and don't personally care for) the forward axle position. It makes the tail quite heavy. Myself, I'd get new FAD gear and shock struts and be done with it. Or CC if you truly need the 3" forward.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I think it’s prudent to just replace both sides with AA or FAD and be done with it. The surprises you find!

I have a Backcountry Cub with the landing gear having been built by Javron. It is the stock sized gear but in looking at it, it appears to be identical to yours in every respect except for the extra 3". Your step was welded on, mine was not. I think you have an experimental gear.

Back