Thread: J-3 with wood spars and 0200 engine

Post Thanks / Like

J-3 with wood spars and 0200 engine

Does anyone have field approval for a J-3 with wood spars and an 0200 engine? Thank you, Julie

Post Thanks / Like
    The field approval would be for a J3C65. There is no difference between wood and metal spars. Problem is, you cannot simply use a field approval; you need the original installer or a new field approval.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does F. Atlee Dodge have field approval Drawings for this conversion?

I am asking, not saying they do.

Larry.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad has a J-3 with original wood spars. He had the engine replaced with an 0200, 100 HP engine. When the current owner of the airport where the work was done placed an ad on Barnstormers, he found out that this combination is "illegal" or not approved by the FAA. The previous owner who did the work, passed away, sadly. So, if we understand it correctly, the plane isn't "legal" with wood spars and this 0200 engine. If anyone on this thread believes otherwise, please let me know. Our Ag Pilot suggested that I post a question on this Forum to see if there is possibly anyone else who has this same setup and has been able to obtain field approval from the FAA. If so, he believes that we could use that precedence for our plane. At least it may help. Like you say, we would probably have to get a field approval on our plane. Thanks so much for any advice we can get.

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Univair is the only STC for an O-200 in a J-3. I believe it calls for the addition of a wing tank also. I know a lot of O-200 installations are field approved by limiting the RPM (red line on the tach) to 90hp........still takes a field approval.
    Thanks juliecat13 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Check over here also

www.j3-cub.com

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie - look for a 337 filed for that engine. If you don't have all the paperwork, you can get it from the FAA records branch.

If no 337 has been filed then you indeed do have an illegal installation, and it has nothing to do with the spars.

I run into this stuff fairly often, considering that I do not make a living being a mechanic. The latest was a C-90-12, and the 337 listed neither an STC nor did it have a field approval stamp in block 3. One of those two things is required.

So for a quarter century that bird went through annual after annual, and nobody caught it. Last month I got it field approved.

As I understand it, I might have gotten the last five field approvals of my career that day - but now that aircraft is legal!

Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aircraft records: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...craft_records/

The CD takes a week to a bit more by USPS and included Airworthiness (Form 337 and others) and Registered Owner records. No logbook data. If you can find another plane with the mods you want approved then obtain the records for that as a help.

Edit: Search for "JimC" here as I recall him mentioning a J-3 and O-200: https://www.supercub.org/forum/searc...archid=4755382

Gary
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 09-22-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have the face side of the 337 and N42527 is now a Bell helicopter, however N23375 is still around. Perhaps purchasing a CD of the OK City file on the airplane would be helpful. I owned 3590K for awhile, it had an 0200 although some of the paperwork might be sketchy. Or try to gain some traction with the FSDO letter, should be fun, Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0200 337.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	44568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FSDO 0200.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	44569  
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe contact JimC here if he has e-mail listed (click on his name in the searches I linked above) and ask about the combo. He's very good about helping and knows what it's all about.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is that the 100 hp STC calls out aluminum spars only. Worked on a Clipped wing Cub with the O-200 STC and wood spars. There was a field approval to derate the engine to 90 hp via RPM because the C90 is on the type certificate. I guess someone thought the O-200 was to much horse power for the wood spar. I have never seen anyone get 100 hp out of an O-200 on a Cub because they prop won't get that high an rpm. Only way I can see to do it would be via a field approval using these other 337s as acceptable data.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    The bigger issue is under CAR 4, if you only have the 12 gallon tank, maximum continuous HP is limited to 80 HP by CAR 4.620. 0.15 gallons per maximum HP except take off. .15X 80= 12

Has nothing to do with structure, only available fuel. That’s why if you look at items 9 & 10, for the C85 and C90, they are limited to 80HP “for all other operations”

Now, if you add additional fuel tanks and want to go beyond the 80HP continuous limit, structure could enter into it, and you would need to verify that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Citing the authority spelled out by the Manager, Systems and Flight Test Branch letter dated March 20, 1997 install the 0200, remark the red line on the tach to derate the engine to 90 hp, amend the W&B as required and consider it a minor alteration. He certainly has.
    Last edited by cruiser; 09-24-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Citing the authority spelled out by the Manager, Systems and Flight Test Branch letter dated March 20, 1997 install the 0200, remark the red line on the tach to derate the engine to 90 hp, amend the W&B as required and consider it a minor alteration. He certainly has.
    Can’t argue with what you have from NY ACO, but from experience, I’ve had to educate the same engineer in that office that CAR 4 is a predecessor regulation to CAR 3. They simply have no idea when it comes to old airplanes!

I’d be in agreement with 90 hp for TO, and 80 HP continuous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk