Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: ADS-B Issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gdafoe View Post
    Hmm, This data comes from lots of sources looks like. I presume it is also live not just historical.Sources

This database is built and maintained from the following sources:
    • Official aircraft registries
    • Various Basestation.sqb files
    • Crowdsourced and manually collected data from various people (e.g. Oxford data analyst Martin Strohmeier)
    • openflights.org
    • ICAO Doc 8643

We accept additional aircraft data in any format (CSV, BaseStation.sqb, ...)! Just contact contact@opensky-network.org for further instructions

Gerald, Absolutely live with no delay. it's crowdsourced around the world. People get free receivers (basically little raspberry pi's with receivers plugged in) with the agreement they will provide data. You can also purchase historical information. FlightAware and FlightRadar24 are also crowdsourced in this manner.

I love data... I don't love what they might do with it all...

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I was thinking that, as long as you aren’t 1090es, where your ICAO is programmed into the transponder, what would stop someone from programming their skyBeacon or other adsb system to some other N# and ICAO code. Lots of registered airplanes that never move that one could “borrow” the ID from

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Which would mean that you’d NEVER go into any kind of ATC controlled airspace, like tower controlled, since your radio comm tail # wouldn’t match your ADS-B signal. At least on the SkyBeacon, you can’t change your data in flight......only a small window right after turning it on.
    And if that were the case, why would you spend the money to install anyway.

Break out the tin foil hats. Lots of other reasons to be concerned about this, but, not this.
    MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Gerald, Absolutely live with no delay. it's crowdsourced around the world. People get free receivers (basically little raspberry pi's with receivers plugged in) with the agreement they will provide data. You can also purchase historical information. FlightAware and FlightRadar24 are also crowdsourced in this manner.

I love data... I don't love what they might do with it all...

sj
    There it is. The FAA says if I have ADS-B installed it must be transmitting, The FAA accepted my data block form and yet my info is broadcast around the world for anyone to see. My 1090 will remain off until I choose to turn it on. I welcome the FAA to take exception to that given that they can't protect the data they're requiring me to transmit. Removing my equipment would be simple enough, if it comes to that. For you guys that need ADS-B and elected to use 1090? You should be pissed off. Where'S AOPA on this issue?
    Last edited by stewartb; 12-30-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    Likes skywagon8a, fancypants, CenterHillAg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Are people really that worried about someone tracking them?
    Unless you've got the mafia or a pissed off ex-wife after you,
    I don't get it.
    Not only is no one tracking me--
    when I try to tell people about where I went, no one even cares.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes Charlie Longley liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I imagine guys interested in where I'm hunting or fishing to look up a track? Absolutely. Would I be interested in where other guys are going? Absolutely. But in the bigger picture it doesn't matter whether anyone wants to as much as that they can. The government has no business requiring me to provide my locations to the world, especially when they've established that they support blocking that info, but can't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    What I am understanding is that, with OUT installed, it must be ON whenever I fly, period. OK, but am I then subject to FAA scrutiny for every flight with emails and phone calls coming, that I didn't have before I installed OUT (I haven't installed it yet), if for some reason they didn't get my signal (I dropped to 500' agl) or I was at the wrong altitude for a short period of time because of down-drafts or whatever? Other words I am a little wary of this "watching me".
    Looks like you're in Thompson Falls MT--
    where's the nearest "rule airspace"?
    And do you fly into it much?
    If I didn't live within 15 miles of SeaTac's mode C veil,
    and about 5 miles from NAS Whidbey's class C,
    and didn't fly into both of them quite often,
    I wouldn't have bothered installing ADS-B.

Post Thanks / Like
    MTV,
    Regarding your uAvionix unit: if you've covered this earlier, my apologies. How have you "grounded" the unit? More precisely, are the power return currents traveling through the wing structure and wing root bolts? If so, this may be the problem. The wing root bolts fret in flight, creating very brief (millisecond) interruptions in the return current from the lamps, generating consider RF noise (via gigantic variable ground loops), and perhaps affecting the power delivery to the unit. You would never see the effects in nav or landing lights, but experience shows that the RF noise is strong enough to disrupt reception in earlier GPS units. The ADS-B unit be be affected by the brief power interruptions as well.

The best solution is a direct ground wire (preferable twisted pair with the power), but short of that, a jumper around the wing root bolts should help.

Just a thought.

S
    Idaho drinks more wine per person than any other state in the country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Are people really that worried about someone tracking them?
    Unless you've got the mafia or a pissed off ex-wife after you,
    I don't get it.
    Not only is no one tracking me--
    when I try to tell people about where I went, no one even cares.
    In the old days when you (we) could go just about anywhere we pleased without a care in the World, we did not care and no one else cared. It was "Oh look, a Piper Cub! What fun!". Now it is "Let's turn him in, that rich bastid shouldn't be doing that".
    Now in the 21st century when cell phone cameras are everywhere and people who know nothing and care not one bit about aviation are prolific in complaining about anyone doing things that they do not care to do are also everywhere, we must cover our derrieres. We used to be able to land in most any field, on any beach, in any pond, fly under any bridge etc. We just can't have fun anymore. Now they mandate that we spend bug bucks to install a piece of electronics in our airplane so that they can keep track of us, so that they can violate us if we make just the tiniest slip up.

I have been reticent about this entire ADS-B thingy from the beginning. Now that the date is here, I had just about talked myself into installing a new replacement transponder which handles the ADS-B out on 1090 Mhz. With these recent bits of information which have presented themselves within the past couple of weeks, I have decided that my electronics will remain "broken". I live and fly under a class B airspace. One plane has no electrical system the other does. They will have to prove which plane I'm flying. Not this finger to them !

Post Thanks / Like
    And let’s not forget user fees. There is and will be a group in Congress that will constantly seek to tax out aviation activities. Mode S transponders, and now ADSB gives the government the tools to easily track and charge for the use of airspace we already own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks flynlow thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY, Travelair3000, skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I flew yesterday, in anonymous mode,
    after which I requested a PAPR.
    To my surprise, I did get a report.
    So it is anonymous to everyone BUT the government, after all.
    I guess the "scrambled signal" isn't quite as scrambled as I thought.
    I did the same thing today. I flew to an ADSB towered area to the east with my UAT (Garmin GDL82) in anonymous mode. An hour or so after landing I requested a Performance Report using my N number and their system had no problem finding me.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Thanks fancypants thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know why I loose TISB service when I’m well within coverage? Today it blinked on and off 3 or 4 times. As you can see at the bottom of the image I had an excellent signal but not always getting an uplink.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E997A70-6F4C-4BAA-99F2-998E917FAE21.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	46311
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Those who are worried about privacy might find this of interest.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/december/24/ads-b-privacy-now-available

Post Thanks / Like
    Those who are worried about privacy might find this of interest.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/december/24/ads-b-privacy-now-available
    Not for us little guys...
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    Anyone know why I loose TISB service when I’m well within coverage? Today it blinked on and off 3 or 4 times. As you can see at the bottom of the image I had an excellent signal but not always getting an uplink.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E997A70-6F4C-4BAA-99F2-998E917FAE21.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	46311
    Because it's an FAA system????

Sorry, Dan, couldn't resist....

MTV
    Likes spinner2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So with no ADS B, and flying near a class B or C airspace with just a transponder can one still get flight following?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    So with no ADS B, and flying near a class B or C airspace with just a transponder can one still get flight following?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    My understanding is yes, though make sure you’re not too close to the class B. From the mode C veil inward is where ADS-B is required at a class B.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ADAPT program allows you to fly in ADS-b space as long as you have a mode c xponder. It gives you authorization from FAA but ATC can turn you down if they are busy, if you dont need to talk to atc than you are golden with the ADAPT authorization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie747 View Post
    The ADAPT program allows you to fly in ADS-b space as long as you have a mode c xponder. It gives you authorization from FAA but ATC can turn you down if they are busy, if you dont need to talk to atc than you are golden with the ADAPT authorization.
    The FAA has developed the ADS-B Deviation Authorization Preflight Tool (ADAPT) to manage these authorization requests.
    In order to be considered for an ADS-B deviation authorization with ADAPT, requests must meet the following criteria:

• Aircraft must be equipped with an operational transponder and operational altitude encoder (e. g., Mode C)
    • Request submitted no more than 24 hours before flight
    • Request submitted no less than 1 hour before flight

Please note: The FAA will not issue in-flight authorizations to operators of non-equipped aircraft, nor will air traffic control (ATC) facilities accept requests for these types of authorizations by telephone.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    The FAA has developed the ADS-B Deviation Authorization Preflight Tool (ADAPT) to manage these authorization requests.
    In order to be considered for an ADS-B deviation authorization with ADAPT, requests must meet the following criteria:

• Aircraft must be equipped with an operational transponder and operational altitude encoder (e. g., Mode C)
    • Request submitted no more than 24 hours before flight
    • Request submitted no less than 1 hour before flight

Please note: The FAA will not issue in-flight authorizations to operators of non-equipped aircraft, nor will air traffic control (ATC) facilities accept requests for these types of authorizations by telephone.
    Yes, just a mode C transponder and you’re in like Flynn

Post Thanks / Like
    Not if ATC decides they’re busy. ATC still has to agree.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    From a different forum, a controller in Chicago posted this, they don’t even monitor who is or isn’t ADSB
    As a controller at the busiest stand alone TRACON in the country I will say that we haven't been briefed on what to do reference ADS-B. We don't even monitor it on the scopes even though the ability exists. Not sure what ATC is or isn't doing around the rest of the country but if you were to fly into Chicago, it wouldn't be any different than last month. Maybe that will change soon and I'll try to report back if we are briefed differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Not if ATC decides they’re busy. ATC still has to agree.

MTV
    This thread has allot of good info and questions,
    So, to me this brings up a question about deviations, thinking to the near future such as this coming Oshkosh. Probably even Sun & Fun.
    These will be the first real high density controlled airspace with the lowest proportion of ADS B equipped aircraft. I am curious how these events will be handled.
    Obviously they have a very well understood visual system that offers little value for the ADSB system, at least in the near future.
    But will this be a frustration for the regulators or a technical breeding ground for system and procedure analysis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    So, to me this brings up a question about deviations, thinking to the near future such as this coming Oshkosh. Probably even Sun & Fun.
    These will be the first real high density controlled airspace with the lowest proportion of ADS B equipped aircraft. I am curious how these events will be handled.
    Obviously they have a very well understood visual system that offers little value for the ADSB system, at least in the near future.
    But will this be a frustration for the regulators or a technical breeding ground for system and procedure analysis?
    First, OSH does not lie in “Rule Airspace”, so not required there.

Second, in previous years, the Airventure Notam required all transponders OFF within ~ 30 miles of OSH. This last year (2019) the Notam specifically called for transponders to remain ON. I assumed that was to take advantage of potential traffic avoidance with ADS-B.

Maybe.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    Frankly, this doesn’t surprise me at all. Have I mentioned how screwed up this program is?

MTV