Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ADS-B Issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    I just noticed this unusual nav light installation on a local Cub.
    Maybe applicable to mounting a Tailbeacon?
    It would be a lot less noticeable if the sealant matched the paint.
    I don't think the tailBeacon would work in that configuration.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    A related issue:
    I have a uAvionix for ADS-B Out, Stratus 2 for ADS-B In, and Foreflight on an iPhone for displaying ADS-B In data. I suspect this is a pretty common configuration.

On startup, I would see ADS-B No Towers on Foreflight. Makes sense, as I'm on the ground.

During the takeoff roll, Foreflight would display ADS-B lost (or something to that effect). Every time. Sometimes ADS-B would return, sometimes not.

What was happening is that "ADS-B" displayed by Foreflight was referring to the uAvionix unit, which of course is not ADS-B In. The iPhone was connecting to the uAvionix Wifi first. uAvionix turns off the WiFi after reaching a certain speed (user settable). For whatever reason, the iPhone wouldn't always reconnect to the Stratus, leaving me to fiddling around to get a connection in flight.

The solution is to disable Auto-Join for the uAvionix network; you'll need to manually join if you want to change settings, which is rare. AFAICT, on the iPhone you must be joined to the uAvionix network to change this setting.

Hope this helps someone.
    Idaho drinks more wine per person than any other state in the country.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am way too old for all that. I can still do compass and a watch if I have to. Like Martha, I need a Sectional chart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    would they play nice together??? noise wise??
    If you can get past the looks, it should function. That beacon is one of the Whelen slow flash, incandescent types (70509 I think?) not a true strobe. It pulls a fairly low amount of power and the slow on/off should keep the noise to a minimum.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed my Tailbeacon yesterday, about as easy as they say it is.
    Literally about 10-15 minutes to install & another 10-15 minutes to program with tablet--
    including a fair amount of fumbling around.
    Did a short 10 minute flight in some nearby class C airspace as a test.
    When I went online to check the results, everything looked good on the PAPR report except for one thing:
    under "missing elements", "flight ID" was red-tagged.
    Gonna call uAvionix later today and ask them about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tailbeacon.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	340.7 KB 
ID:	44809

FWIW I did notice later that the tailbeacon unit was not a tight fit onto the base,
    there was some wiggle which I figured would cause some vibration which would probably not be a good thing.
    So I added some foil tape onto the base to get a snug fit.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes JeffZ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    ….Did a short 10 minute flight in some nearby class C airspace as a test.
    When I went online to check the results, everything looked good on the PAPR report except for one thing:
    under "missing elements", "flight ID" was red-tagged.
    Gonna call uAvionix later today and ask them about it.....
    The tech support guy at uAvionix told me the misreporting was undoubtedly at the beginning of the flight,
    and was due to my old equipment (specifically the encoder) not being warmed up enough.
    He suggested turning on the avionics several minutes before takeoff.
    Kinda like what was related very early on in this thread--
    except that the guy blamed my old encoder instead of the GPS in my new Tailbeacon.
    Thanks Tennessee thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Flew my 30-minutes-in-rule-airspace ADS-B test flight yesterday.
    Got 3 green on the GAIRS report,
    so I applied for my rebate last night.
    Got an email from them today, wanting a copy of either the bill of sale for my device,
    or the 337 for the installation. Sent them the 337.
    Hopefully a "the check's in the mail" email will be forthcoming soon.

FWIW this is a recent addition to the FAA's rebate webpage
    https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/

Rebate reservation applications will be available for the last time on Friday, October 11, 2019
    at 1 pm Eastern Daylight Time (
    EDT
    ). There will be a limited number of rebates available. Please note that getting to the application page does not guarantee that you will get a reservation.

Anyone who hasn't got a rebate yet, better try to get one while you still can.
    Last edited by hotrod180; 10-10-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one of those conversations with the ADS-B Nazis in DC as well. The guy was polite, but inflexible. He told me my altitude reporting wasn't working correctly (actually, it wasn't reporting pressure altitude at all) and suggested I return the unit to the manufacturer. I told him I was aware of the problem, the unit had been to the manufacturer numerous times without resolution and I was actively working on the issue with the manufacturer. Then he said I would not be allowed to fly in ADS-B airspace with a unit that wasn't passing. OK, so ADS-B isn't even a rule yet (and most ATC facilities couldn't receive ADS-B information a year ago when I had this conversation with them), so what air space was considered to be "ADS-B Air space" since the rule doesn't apply until 2020? I was flying in a remote area nowhere near any controlled air space and was staying far away from controlled air space while I worked on the problem. Additionally, the first flight with any ADS-B unit is a test flight since you don't know for sure it is functioning correctly until you pull a performance report, how can he tell me I'm not allowed to fly the unit for troubleshooting and diagnostic purposes? Pulling a function report is how I know it is or isn't working correctly, and what needs to be addressed. Many first, second or multiple flights often times have issues with the ADS-B out. That's why we pull the reports, is so we can find and resolve the issues.

What I learned is that the guy in DC only seemed to understand 1090-ES functionality, and had extremely limited knowledge of the interaction between a UAT-Out unit and the transponder. And they seem to be completely inflexible when it comes to giving any leeway to diagnose and repair a problem. His only solution was that it had to be shipped back to the manufacturer for repairs even though that wasn't going to affect the issue one way or the other since I was having a dynamic interaction problem that was only showing up in flight.

I finally swapped ADS-B units between my planes effectively moving the problem unit to a different registration number while I resolved the issue. This particular unit seemed to have chronic issues with query and reply communications between it and my transponders, both of which are newer digital transponders. It would work perfectly on the ground, then get a failing error rate on the pressure altitude once I was in the air. If I remember right >2% error rate is failing. I was able to eventually resolve the issue, but the FAA telling me I wasn't allowed to turn it on wasn't helpful in the resolution.

-Cub Builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Applied for my rebate wed evening, sent the requested 337 documentation Thursday morning,
    and received a "check's in the mail" email Thursday afternoon.
    Looking forward to getting my rebate soon--
    FWIW a buddy of mine installed his Tailbeacon on sept 27,
    and just got his rebate check yesterday-- so about a 2 week wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Builder View Post
    I had one of those conversations with the ADS-B Nazis in DC as well. The guy was polite, but inflexible. He told me my altitude reporting wasn't working correctly (actually, it wasn't reporting pressure altitude at all) and suggested I return the unit to the manufacturer. I told him I was aware of the problem, the unit had been to the manufacturer numerous times without resolution and I was actively working on the issue with the manufacturer. Then he said I would not be allowed to fly in ADS-B airspace with a unit that wasn't passing. OK, so ADS-B isn't even a rule yet (and most ATC facilities couldn't receive ADS-B information a year ago when I had this conversation with them), so what air space was considered to be "ADS-B Air space" since the rule doesn't apply until 2020? I was flying in a remote area nowhere near any controlled air space and was staying far away from controlled air space while I worked on the problem. Additionally, the first flight with any ADS-B unit is a test flight since you don't know for sure it is functioning correctly until you pull a performance report, how can he tell me I'm not allowed to fly the unit for troubleshooting and diagnostic purposes? Pulling a function report is how I know it is or isn't working correctly, and what needs to be addressed. Many first, second or multiple flights often times have issues with the ADS-B out. That's why we pull the reports, is so we can find and resolve the issues.

What I learned is that the guy in DC only seemed to understand 1090-ES functionality, and had extremely limited knowledge of the interaction between a UAT-Out unit and the transponder. And they seem to be completely inflexible when it comes to giving any leeway to diagnose and repair a problem. His only solution was that it had to be shipped back to the manufacturer for repairs even though that wasn't going to affect the issue one way or the other since I was having a dynamic interaction problem that was only showing up in flight.

I finally swapped ADS-B units between my planes effectively moving the problem unit to a different registration number while I resolved the issue. This particular unit seemed to have chronic issues with query and reply communications between it and my transponders, both of which are newer digital transponders. It would work perfectly on the ground, then get a failing error rate on the pressure altitude once I was in the air. If I remember right >2% error rate is failing. I was able to eventually resolve the issue, but the FAA telling me I wasn't allowed to turn it on wasn't helpful in the resolution.

-Cub Builder
    Interesting. The gent I spoke with, as I was experiencing similar problems never suggested I shouldn’t fly the airplane. The instruction not to fly the airplane in ADS-B airspace, he explained to me simply meant I shouldn’t fly the plane in B, C, or above 10,000 AFTER the 2020 deadline. He told me to upload the latest firmware, and fly it again. I asked what the consequences would be if it continued to fail. His response was that he’d “block” my ADS-B signal in their system, but I’d still be legal to fly outside ADS-B airspace.
    I subsequently got a positive report after uploading the firmware.
    MTV
    Likes Skywalker liked this post