• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ADS-B Issues

Anyone know why I loose TISB service when I’m well within coverage? Today it blinked on and off 3 or 4 times. As you can see at the bottom of the image I had an excellent signal but not always getting an uplink.

View attachment 46311

Have you resolved your issue? I had the same issue with the gdl39, ended up sending it in and getting a refurbished one back.

For you folks who are knowledgeable about this topic, is there any prohibition against removing ADSB equipment if an owner no longer intends to fly in rule airspace?

FWIW if I didn't pretty much have to fly in rule airspace, I wouldn't have installed ADS-B.
Kinda funny, some people gripe about having to have it,
but others install it voluntarily even if they rarely if ever fly in rule airspace.

Have you resolved your issue? I had the same issue with the gdl39, ended up sending it in and getting a refurbished one back.

I don't think the problem is with my equipment. I think it is with their system. The last few flights everything has been working as it should.

Nothing in the rule says you must install it, or keep it, only that if it’s installed, it must be on, with certain exceptions.
I could certainly see a situation where a plane equipped is sold to someone who doesn’t fly in rule airspace. In that case, no reason they couldn’t remove it.

To follow up on earlier discussion of turning off the ADS-B, AOPA’s online news the other day said the FAA has told AOPA that “Intentional” turning off the signal will be treated harshly, as in possible certificate action. I ASSUME this would be in rule airspace, maybe. The FAA did say that “unintentional” violations, such as faulty equipment, etc will be treated with “education” as opposed to enforcement. Again, for now at least, I suspect this is just in rule airspace, but......

MTV

So given all the discussion, if one were to remove or deactivate the transponder in accordance with the provisions of 91.213(d), and the ADSB out is still installed, would you be considered in violation of 91.225(f)? All this assuming you are not in “rule” airspace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So given all the discussion, if one were to remove or deactivate the transponder in accordance with the provisions of 91.213(d), and the ADSB out is still installed, would you be considered in violation of 91.225(f)? All this assuming you are not in “rule” airspace.
Do you know of an ADS-B out system that does not use a transponder as part of it's functions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only required in specified airspace. Outside of that airspace, I would argue that it is NOT required and therefore not required to be activated. Common sense dictates that if it were removed/not required it could not be any sort of violation. If it were never switched on at all, it would be a tough one to find and enforce.

Web

Back