• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dakota Cub wings!

bob turner

Been almost a half century since I replaced metal spars. I am halfway through such a replacement, and am really, really pleased with the fit of Dakota spars. They are drilled for everything except leading edges (really hard to pre-drill for them). All rib holes line up perfectly with the old Dakota ribs.

Not only that, but I asked them to expedite the spars, and they arrived in just a shade over a week. Cannot beat that!

In the olden days, you measured and drilled your own rib attach holes. Not wildly difficult, but way, way better to have Dakota drill them.

Happy!

now the question, are the attach holes(at fuselage) at the proper height on rear spars, or off like Univairs???(or was piper not same as it drawing)

Well, I am replacing Dakota spars with Dakota spars. Before the wing got bent, it fit perfectly. I double checked the front spar, thinking I had to drill the fuel tank attach holes. Nope - already there, and perfect. I will double check the rear spar this afternoon, but it won’t be exact - the attach hardware is already pressed in.

now the question, are the attach holes(at fuselage) at the proper height on rear spars, or off like Univairs???(or was piper not same as it drawing)

I have change quite a few spars using both Univair and Dakota and have not found an issue. Can you elaborate?

I have change quite a few spars using both Univair and Dakota and have not found an issue. Can you elaborate?

the hole is higher or lower on rear spars from Univair... or piper messed up...

even had one i measured that was replaced in 1976 with a univair that was off.....

you can lay a strait edge on top cap of spar and measure down to main attach hole

edit: I should specify it is -18 rear spar

These are PA-11 spars. The holes seem to match the original Piper J-3 spars. I did not take precision measurements, since the ferrules were already pressed in.

Back