• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Millennium failure

astjp2

Utah/Alaska
I was asked to come look at a customer's airplane, they had a cylinder failure. This is on an o-300, but the jug is the same as the 0-200. C-90, and the c-85. Total time was 1400. Pilot landed safely. Compressions were good on the last annual. I dont think any routine inspection would have found this fatigue failure, the barrel actually broke and about 1.5" was still in the head. Since a lot of cub drivers use the small continentals, I thought I would pass this information along. I will be submitting a service difficulty report to the FAA. I hope no one else has to encounter this. Timimage4[1].jpegimage1[1].jpegimage2[1].jpeg

Attachments

• image3[1].jpeg
    image3[1].jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 160
  • image4[1].jpeg
    image4[1].jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 218
  • image1[1].jpeg
    image1[1].jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 223
  • image2[1].jpeg
    image2[1].jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 191
Won’t show on normal compression check. Rings are above crack. The various ADs have yo do a soppy water check with piston BDC if I recall correctly. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Most if not all of the superior AD's were on big continental and lycomings...I have not seen one on the small continentals.

Last edited:
Inspecting a C85 with Millennium cylinders new in 2018 with 40 hours on them. Seeing some possible oil seeping from the barrel to head interface on two cylinders. One showing slightly more than the other, the other two look to be ok. The oil is not from the pushrod tubes or rocker covers. Will be doing a compression check and a soap test similar to the ECI AD to see if there is a problem with these cylinders.

Attachments

• IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 136
Back