• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Defending Ourselves with a Hand Gun From a Bear Attack: A Retrospective Study

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
I just read this article and found it interesting, and important for us to consider.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/ha...zUhm_PzxDxfX3g1GSbb7dvAC-MEkP3Q#axzz5zKHCC3tV

There have been threads on this topic before, but this is the first retrospective study that I have seen which documents effectiveness of defending ourselves from a bear with a handgun. I found it interesting that even a .22 caliber was effective in several cases.

I'm going to keep on carrying my 44 Magnum S&W when I fly over bear country.

Randy

I have hunted and shot black bears (No Grizzlys here) with both the .357 and 44 Mag in handguns. Both got the job done well, but the 44 would be my choice. I don't hunt them anymore, but do carry a side arm always when fishing as we have abundant populations of blacks, and some of them are big. I would't shoot one unless it was life or death and then hope that 15 rounds of .357 sig will be good enough LOL. At close range I don't feel undergunned.

I am pretty surprised to read about the effectiveness of even a .22 caliber pistol. I am with you, supercrow, in that I'll keep my 44 magnum, thank you!

Randy

I've always carried a 22 riffle in the plane so I could piss the bear off and then he'd finish me off. Now you tell me it'll kill him! LOL

Back in the day the Northern Stores, Hudson Bay Company, etc... stocked the 22 hornet and 22 Savage Hi-Power when they hit the market. We're talking 1912-1930's. A lot of bigger game like Polar bear were taken when faced with opportunity as these natives were out hunting fox and seals or anything else that might sustain their families. I just watched the Grizzly Man. Me thinks naming bears and speaking baby talk is the path out of harms way. LMAO

Last edited:
Its like reading armed citizen.

But in the northeast this scenario doesn’t come up very often...

“The next morning, approached the outhouse with toilet paper in one hand and the Python in the other. “

Every big game animal in North America can be taken with a bow and arrow. It is much more about shot placement than size of the bullet. Just saying. I have gone from a .44 backup to a 9 mm because I can double/triple tap with much better accuracy.
DENNY

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3878690

Glenn is a neighbor on the lake my cabin is on.

Brett, his son, was right there but had to wait for a shot that would kill the bear and not his dad.

Both Brett and Glenn are licensed guides with plenty of bear hunts under the belt.

Since this mauling I have never seen either them without a .454 strapped to their chest.

They put Glen back together, he lost an eye and moves slower. Just saw him last week.

I haven't talked to Brett about it for over a year, but have heard him say it's a one shot situation at amazing speeds more than once.

I don't ever want to find out what works and doesn't in real life. Brett did and that's good enough for me.

"and a Python in the other"...you are talking about a handgun, right? :p

lol... well, I laughed when I read it, but it's a quote out of the link Randy posted at top. It didn't say he had a garden snake in his other.... perhaps I should have posted more of the text! lol!

Back in the day the Northern Stores, Hudson Bay Company, etc... stocked the 22 hornet and 22 Savage Hi-Power when they hit the market. We're talking 1912-1930's. A lot of bigger game like Polar bear were taken when faced with opportunity as these natives were out hunting fox and seals or anything else that might sustain their families. I just watched the Grizzly Man. Me thinks naming bears and speaking baby talk is the path out of harms way. LMAO

Didn't Tim end-up on the menu along with his poor girlfriend?

I seem to recall a recent thread on bears/handguns several pages long. It convinced me that while I've long been a lover of handguns, a 12 ga. pump would be my choice. Maybe one of those Shockwave 12 ga. "Pistols".......

23322_2.jpg

Jack

Back