• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 / 14 Firewall Drawings

New member here, I'm looking for the same drawing. The IPC calls out 24275-00 for early airplanes and 10691-00 for 12-354 and subsequent. The latter part number may be just a Univair number as that is the IPC I have, not an original. That is the part number for the fuselage cowl assembly, not just the firewall.

Also, if anyone could share any pictures of the bottom of the boot cowl that would be appreciated. My project came with a new Univair boot cowl that is very...unfinished.

Casey

I have a complete PA12 boot cowl/firewall left over from an earlier project. Really good condition I can get you some pics or measurements off of if that would help. I have PA12 fuselage prints. They are the large, original prints that could be copied. I don't have them digitized.

Do these help?

IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1529.JPG IMG_1366.JPG IMG_1539.JPG

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 273
D71A7006-3FB3-4A30-8DAD-6EFCECCA8903.jpegThis is an Atlee Firewalli

Attachments

• D71A7006-3FB3-4A30-8DAD-6EFCECCA8903.jpeg
    D71A7006-3FB3-4A30-8DAD-6EFCECCA8903.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 441

That Atlee firewall sure looks nice, do you have a drawing you use for making the recess in the lower boot cowl? My skins don't line up very well where the sides meet the bottom.

That Atlee firewall sure looks nice, do you have a drawing you use for making the recess in the lower boot cowl? My skins don't line up very well where the sides meet the bottom.

I had to drill the rivets out of the center of the last Univair bootcowl I installed and then pulled everything up and made an inside doubler. There are some pictures in this photo album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fu4cKYK2yQclL1An2

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, if my project had not come with a new Univair fuselage cowl assembly I would definitely get a firewall from Clyde or Atlee. I'm trying to control costs even though I know that's a lost cause with an airplane.

Steve, do you have a link to the photo album you mentioned?

Also, sorry to rkirk77 for jumping all over his thread. I'll be starting plenty in the future once I get everything organized.

Regarding fabrication of boot cowls on a -12. If you are making new, face the lip of the cowl forward. This is how the later 47s and PA-14 were made. If you don’t, you will have to fabricate or reuse the L brackets to hold the cowl support brackets. See the above picture of the blue one. It is the older style with the L brackets. By facing the lip forward you can order the galvanized brackets Clyde Smith makes and rivet them between the boot cowl and the firewall. Makes everything stronger. Not hard or expensive. Give Clyde a call.

I’ve got a new Atlee stainless firewall on my airplane with a new boot cowl. The project came with Atlee PA-18 style L brackets. I had to modify the support brackets to accept them. The airplane has the Studdard short mount which required the forward part of the brackets to be trimmed too...that was done in 1968. As far as I know this airplane hasn’t flown since the 70’s. Hopefully, be back in the air this summer. 820 hours TTAF.

For those of you who have replaced the firewall. Do you run the cables higher or lower like original? I’ve seen some that have a fairly clean lower interior firewall and assume those cable penetrations are higher. Also, do you like the 2 piece firewall brackets or just use grommets?

I’ve got a new Atlee stainless firewall on my airplane with a new boot cowl. The project came with Atlee PA-18 style L brackets. I had to modify the support brackets to accept them. The airplane has the Studdard short mount which required the forward part of the brackets to be trimmed too...that was done in 1968. As far as I know this airplane hasn’t flown since the 70’s. Hopefully, be back in the air this summer. 820 hours TTAF.

For those of you who have replaced the firewall. Do you run the cables higher or lower like original? I’ve seen some that have a fairly clean lower interior firewall and assume those cable penetrations are higher. Also, do you like the 2 piece firewall brackets or just use grommets?

Have only used grommets, or some custom ones I make that have a solid face you just poke the proper size hole through.

Yes you have to trim the brackets. They purposely make them extra long.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back