• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sensenich composite propellers VS Borer Prop

scottsville

Hi,

Looking for anyone that has some experience with the Sensenich Composite prop? Was looking at getting a 82/42 borer prop for my super cub 150 but stopped by Airframes Alaska and saw the sensenich composite. Does anyone know how the pull compared to the Borer prop? Also how well they hold up on off airport shenanigans.

Thank you

Maybe Ford will chime in. He has or had one. I’d kind of like a pirep also from somebody like Tom that run them all on the same plane.

I tried the composite adjustable Sensenich and although well built, easy to change pitch and good performance, it caused high cylinder head temps probably due to the shape of the blades close to the hub. Sent it back.

Tom used a very low pitch and said it had better pull than his Catto but only went 85 mph. I talked to several people who where running the Sensenich wood prop a year or so ago. Seemed to lose performance over a Borer slightly but saved weight on the nose. The riveted leading edge is approved but the bonded leading edge has been supposedly been going through certification for almost 2 years. The rivet leading edge can be replaced a few times where the bonded can be replacedas many times as needed. I am not holding my breath on it or their ground adjustable that they might get approved. My Borer is in really bad shape but holding off in hopes that Catto gets an STC eventually.

Like Tcraft, I too ran a ground adjustable 76" Sensenich on my C90 until I wrecked it. I did not have a borer on prior, but it was a game changer for me in achieving all the performance out of 90hp. It did change my oil temps like Tcraft stated, and I struggled with it at first until I was able to modify the cowl to provide proper cooling. But well worth it for me to keep the prop. The GA Sensenich is not certified, and as Steve mentioned, I would not expect it to be.

Not to get off-topic, but for anyone that has the experience...

Are the same cooling issues noted on the whirlwind ground adjustable prop as folks are seeing on the sensenich?

Not to get off-topic, but for anyone that has the experience...

Are the same cooling issues noted on the whirlwind ground adjustable prop as folks are seeing on the sensenich?
I have been flying the Whirlwind all summer and noted in my early flights that the cyl and oil temps go down noticeably when the large spinner is on the prop versus no spinner. I suppose makes a smoother transition into the nose bowl. The hub on this adjustable prop is not very streamlined and I suspect it upsets quite a lot of air.

But I did not notice any overall difference in temps going from the borer to the whirlwind.

Cam,

If Tim ever flys with me again I'll take a look at his Whirlwind, but looking at the images posted on the respective websites, which of course is worth exactly you think it is, the Whirlwind may appear to flare out of the round root barrel into the airfoil shape faster than the Sensenich. Or, it maybe the camera or blade angle at photo time.

There was some discussion in a thread a few years ago about the possibility of the composite blades being able to load the engine better throughout the range that it was simply working harder. Not being an aerodynamicist all I can say is if you can turn equal or greater rpm for any given parameter, than I wouldn't think the engine could be working any harder.

pb

http://www.sensenich.com/shop/aircr...o-320-o-360-ground-adjustable-stol-propeller/
https://whirlwindpropellers.com/aircraft/product/ga200l-stol/

Tom used a very low pitch and said it had better pull than his Catto but only went 85 mph. I talked to several people who where running the Sensenich wood prop a year or so ago. Seemed to lose performance over a Borer slightly but saved weight on the nose. The riveted leading edge is approved but the bonded leading edge has been supposedly been going through certification for almost 2 years. The rivet leading edge can be replaced a few times where the bonded can be replacedas many times as needed. I am not holding my breath on it or their ground adjustable that they might get approved. My Borer is in really bad shape but holding off in hopes that Catto gets an STC eventually.

Thank you Steve for your info. Dennis Smith has been telling me about the Catto as well and been waiting. I have a cruise prop and in these hot summer days it doesn't do so well on leaving earth. My cub is heavy so trying to loose some weight but still get the pull. I don't see any body running the wood composite prop so was worried about it. Thanks Again Scott

Like Steve, my borer needs some work but I’ve been holding out for Catto to get certified. I’m beginning to think it’s not ever gonna happen. Catto has been saying it’s coming for years.

I’ll venture out and say it’s not going to happen. Buy the prop, pick up some SuperCub.org member approved McCatto stickers or if you notice the Sensenich sticker is identical on certified and non certified..... so if not buying it now, when?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

How about changes in performance?
I can fine tune the whirlwind to perform just like the borer (only faster) or can adjust to either side of it. Best of both worlds; only thing better would be constant speed prop. I like it.

Back