• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tips on getting low mobility folks into a Skywagon.

Bill.Brine

FOUNDER
Massachusetts
My dad is 88, he is in good shape for his age; walks a few miles a day but I have noticed he is loosing upper body strength and is starting to get some balance issues.
Dad gave up his pilots license at 82 but still yearns to fly. Last time I got him flying was 2 years ago in a Husky. Getting into the Husky was a struggle then. Both of us agreed never again.
Now he is eyeing up the Skywagon thinking he can get in.
My concern is his ability to pull himself up into the front seat. Not a good place to discover you cannot do it.

My thoughts are a step ladder to climb up higher and maybe pull off the door for more access.

Anyone have experience getting low mobility folks into a Skywagon?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

"Little Giant" 3 step ladder with upper support. Folding, stable and should be able to slip in back.

Full disclosure, I've never been in a 180 but I do own the ladder.
40M

Last edited:
Remove the rail stop and slide the seat back. A step stool to elevate and drop his butt in the seat, swing feet in, and help him slide the seat forward. Add a temporary rope or belt to the V brace so he can help. If nothing else to help him lean forward so the seat will slide.

Count your blessings to still have your dad!

Remove the rail stop and slide the seat back. A step stool to elevate and drop his butt in the seat, swing feet in, and help him slide the seat forward. Add a temporary rope or belt to the V brace so he can help. If nothing else to help him lean forward so the seat will slide.

Count your blessings to still have your dad!
That's what I did with my dad at 94, seat stop/lock slid way back then used a two step library stool to get him up on the seat. Then I got in the back (rear seat removed) and pushed him forward with my feet on the rear seat frame) while he held the seat latch up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.
We will have ago at sliding the seat aft beyond the stop, using a step of some sort and rigging a pull bridle to the v brace.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Three foot tall step ladder worked great for my mom getting in the 170b, since she could use the handle on the door post for balance she could step on the top of the ladder. It actually was easier than a 172 we flew a couple of times as the gear leg was not in the way and the ladder sat over the step. Position the ladder so that the steps are perpendicular to the door opening. She used that ladder at least 100 times in the last five years she was alive. Hope your dad enjoys the flight.

Tim

My BIL who is part-owner / nearly full-time gofer for an air taxi service that does a lot of tourist flying here in AK has:

- 4-step stepladder (it's a Rube-Goldberg mod of an old wooden stepladder): used for the 185, Beaver, and 206 as needed for low mobility (whether due to age, padding or???) clients
- Medical "belt" (for lack of a better word) that they use on hip patients for the nurse to hold on when the patients are first walking: this is used by the ground staff to push / lift the client into as needed: This is primarily for the truly mobility limited as the belt won't fit the pax that are too wide to effectively climb up...ground crew form a human chair to help those folks...a duty they fight to avoid.
- A stout (I think 1/2" nylon) rope with big knots every 6" or so and a wide opening carabiner on the end: clip onto a stout brace and the clients can help by pulling on the rope.

This combo seems to work for both the big folks (too big in the wrong way to fit) as well as the truly limited mobility folks.

Not a C180. But if you can find a C177 Cardinal, that would have to be the best aircraft for those less agile then they were once.

I’d advise not strapping anything to the v-brace, they aren’t that heavy duty when pulled in that direction. I changed my vbrace last week. I PROMISE you don’t want to have to do it....

Back