• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Big Tires

JWE

FRIEND
NC30
Any tips on how to make the holes line up on the 2 wheel halves when putting big tires on new wheels?

We'll be installing Bushwheels on the aircraft. Just trying to put the tires on the new wheels now...

Thanks in advance

Here is the tool I made and use out of a large piece of all thread and some OBS wood washers which I discovered needed some metal back up washers. Goes in the middle and you can get to all the nuts on the wheel.

IMG_20190717_125611.jpg

IMG_20190717_125600_1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_125611.jpg
    IMG_20190717_125611.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,039
  • IMG_20190717_125600_1.jpg
    IMG_20190717_125600_1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,858
Stick a couple long Phillips screwdrivers thru bolt holes to align things before snugging up Steve’s nifty tool

Stick a couple long Phillips screwdrivers thru bolt holes to align things before snugging up Steve’s nifty tool

I put the through bolts in before the tool to alighn everything but you just can't get the nuts started.

2 long pieces of 1/4” all-thread [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to put about 1 psi in the tire. The inner hole will expand and allow the rim to fit in easy. Really makes a difference when trying to mount up a set for a Beaver.
DENNY

I like to put about 1 psi in the tire. The inner hole will expand and allow the rim to fit in easy. Really makes a difference when trying to mount up a set for a Beaver.
DENNY
Yes, that and give the wheel and the inside diameter of the tire (if ABW) or tube a dusting of talc. I use Gold Bond.

Are you guys using talc powder when installing Bushwheels (31’s)? Have heard not to with Bushwheels.

Thanks

Kurt

Talc is used so the tube slides inside a tire and centers up and reduces the risk of getting folds in the tube when air is added. I have seen no reason to use talc when installing Bushwheels. I do apply electrical tape to the back side of the wheel where the valve stem exits and then squirt black silicone in the hole to keep sand and grit out of the inside of the wheel.

Talc is used so the tube slides inside a tire and centers up and reduces the risk of getting folds in the tube when air is added. I have seen no reason to use talc when installing Bushwheels. I do apply electrical tape to the back side of the wheel where the valve stem exits and then squirt black silicone in the hole to keep sand and grit out of the inside of the wheel.

Excellent idea on filling the hole!

Thanks

Kurt

Back