• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

“Safe and Quiet Skies Act”

mike mcs repair

chugiak AK
http://www.kinyradio.com/news/news-of-the-north/congressman-introduces-bill-impacting-air-tours/

Washington, DC (KINY) - Congressman Ed Case, D-Hawaii, will introduce the "Safe and Quiet Skies Act" that directs the Federal Aviation Administration to adopt tighter safety regulations...............

......Require that tour flights fly above the 1,500-foot altitude over actual ground at all times with very limited exceptions for emergencies and takeoff/landing Require tour flights over occupied areas (including residential, commercial and recreational areas) to be no louder than 55 dbA, the same level of noise commonly allowed for residential areas
Allow states and localities to impose additional requirements – stricter than the minimum national requirements called for in the act – on tour flights
Require that all regulations under this Act, in addition to any updates to any Air Tours Common Procedure Manuals (voluntary understandings between operators and the FAA), include public engagement
Prohibit tour flights over military installations, national cemeteries, national wilderness areas, national parks, and national wildlife refuges;
Apply the “sterile cockpit rule” to tour flights, which requires that pilots only focus on safely operating the aircraft and would define tour-giving and narrating as outside of the duties required for safe operation

Require FAA to implement NTSB recommendations regarding Part 135 regulations, which most tour flights fly under........

Maybe for his very rich neighborhood but not for the rest of the world.
The engineering needed to meet 55Db is not available with any foreseeable technology with an aircraft. Heck there are very few over the highway trucks that can get even remotely close to 55Db on any scale.

Yes you would be correct on that. I have spent a large part of my life working in motorsports, road course cars and motorcycles. Out east here 89Db from a distance from the track is common requirement and is not always easy to achieve with a muffled vehicle. My own car would commonly fail due to carburetor noise, not exhaust.
Where I live the main road is a bit over 1/3 mile away through the woods and set lower in a valley. One turn under the railroad with a light grade to climb one direction out of. The common traffic, not just trucks can commonly be over 80Db and higher with certain weather conditions. The train going by is about 100Db on some days.
I am also 5 miles from the Rutland VT airport, The planes that overfly us, their propellers exceed 55DB by quit a large margin and they are well beyond 1500 feet from us. The C130s are generally only 500' over the house, they are cool. Heck they are not as loud as the C402s climbing out every day which are a few miles away.
Some days the turbine traffic at the airport is over that desired sound level and that is with 3 tiers of hills exceeding 2000' between us and the airport that is again 5+ miles away.
I question if this one persons proposal could even be granted a sound level study especially since many of the tour operators in his region operate helicopters.
If truck tires are over 80 Db a quarter + mile away how can one just simple make propellers and rotorblades magically become quite.
For all of you that have camped at OSH, how loud are the tires on the concrete portions of the highway near FLD and OSH?

Normal conversation is around 60db. Sunday dinner at in-laws 100 with hand waving at 90mph.

Sadly, there is a growing sentiment of "y'all shouldn't be having fun that I can't/won't/am unwilling to have".

He needs to be dropped off about half way between here and there and see how long he can tread water!
John

Back