• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Felt behind interior panels

Sam D

SPONSOR
Petaluma, CA
Morning all. I’ve noticed that the Piper plans call for felt on the fuselage tubes behind the interior panels. I assume this is for sound dampening. I don’t think I’ve seen this discussed whether folks follow this, skip it or do something else. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Self adhesive Velcro can be purchased in 1/2” - 3/4” wide roll, toss the stiff side and
use the fuzzy side on tubes in areas where panels may rattle.

I have seen some felt-type materials that will hold water. Be careful about anything that can absorb and hold moisture. It's tough on tubing and it is usually where you can't see it.

Self adhesive Velcro can be purchased in 1/2” - 3/4” wide roll, toss the stiff side and
use the fuzzy side on tubes in areas where panels may rattle.

I used a wrap of velcro fuzzy around the wingroot vent cans in my C180 to prevent them from rattling & self-opening.
Worked great.

The SAE50 felt Piper used works well, same thing is on the tank straps. Never seen it hold water. I buy it in bulk in different widths.

Back