• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tradition Ferry Permit issuance method GONE

Dga. How much would it cost to type out a ferry permit and fax it to me? That's all the faa used to have to do. Maybe that's all you'll be required to do. Funny they haven't brought DARs up to date if they are turning it over to you?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I received this message from my FSDO PMI earlier this week:

"I wanted to give you a heads up to some changes happening at the FSDO. In the very near future, ALL SFP’s and air worthiness certificate replacements will be issued by the 2 DAR-T’s in our area. ********** in Plymouth and ************ in New Bedford." ....

Dga. How much would it cost to type out a ferry permit and fax it to me? That's all the faa used to have to do. Maybe that's all you'll be required to do. Funny they haven't brought DARs up to date if they are turning it over to you?
S2D, Reread the first sentence in the Email from my PMI. He saysALL SFP’s and air worthiness certificate replacements will be issued.

It's kind of like the situations reported in the "Ramp Check Season" thread....there are a *bunch* of *different* FAAs in the country. Some more reasonable than others. I've heard it said the largest obstacle to aviation west of the Mississippi river is the Fort Worth FSDO....

I did. What's your point??
My bad, there was a second Email which I neglected to post, sorry. It reads as follows:

"Good day everyone,
Just to be clear, there are 2 things I need to mention to you:
1) When you contact a DAR-T to have them issue an SFP, they are required to physically inspect the aircraft, so that will incur a cost to the owner. As I mentioned in the first email, I have no control, or authority over what they charge for their services.
2) These changes will not take effect under the middle of next month, and that’s just an estimate.
Sincerely,
Principal Maintenance Inspector
Flight Standards Service, General Aviation Division A
AFG-100, Boston FSDO-61"

After 8 months dicking around with field approvals that's what they told me. These were previously approved FA's. That is there polite way of denying you, with out denying you. …...But they wouldn't give me a written letter of denial, just told me they are "way too busy".

This is a pretty common tactic with bureaucrats in my experience.
I've got a FA 337 in at the Seattle FSDO for about 7 months now.
I had to laugh, a manager from the public agency which runs my airport was complaining about the FAA
not saying yes or no, just avoiding answering a request they had in.
I felt like telling him "yeah, that's just what you guys do-- how do you like it?" but figured that might not a good idea.

I’d love to be able to do “fax” ferry permits, but unlike the FAA inspectors, I have to abide by the guidance in 8130-2 and other “Orders”. Within the Orders it specifically prevents DARs from doing fax ferry permits. To do so would be cause to revoke (or not renew) my designation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I went thru the regs. Nothing in there on how they are issued so my original statement stands. They are a thing of the past. Easier to just annual it where it's at..

..Easier to just annual it where it's at..

but what if fuselage is in one pile, and wings are in another? and you are just putting it back together enough to get it home??

that's what a ferry permit is for in my world.... not just for out of annual "technical" reasons...

but what if fuselage is in one pile, and wings are in another? and you are just putting it back together enough to get it home??

that's what a ferry permit is for in my world.... not just for out of annual "technical" reasons...

Take a Go Pro. Experimental exhibition. :)

Put it together as usual and fly it home. I guess that's where the "outlaw" will have to come into play. Maybe on a weekend or holiday so there aren't any prying eyes to see. I've seen stuff get by annuals that I really wouldn't feel to fuzzy about issuing a SFP for!
John

I would suggest getting in touch with all the alphabet groups and make your voices known. They all have folks with direct contacts at FAA headquarters and can lobby on our behalf. Since this is policy, and bad policy at that, making some noise may have an impact. This is only one bad policy in recent times. I’m currently working with AOPA on the Scrapped and Destroyed policy, another bad policy move from FAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, bad policy!! Has absolutely NOTHING to contribute to safety, and in fact will most likely negatively affect safety.
John

Yah, when the rules are too stringent, they tend to be circumvented or rebelled against. Same with your horses, eh John?

This was the first issue that I've seen. They got my Email address from somewhere and sent it to me.

found some of my ferry/patch up jobs photos & uploaded them to an album... most were 300+ mile flights, one was down in King cove $1200 ticket just to get to cold bay on reeve, then a ride on crab boat to king cove,

had been 2 weeks no flights because of bad weather..

I caught the FIRST flight out/in and owner ferried the plane to cold bay then and put it in pen airs hanger... of course FAA was in town(cold bay), glad i remembered to sign back of ferry permit/log entry

I sure miss going out and patching them up for ferry flights, but so many helicopters up here now, so no need I guess....

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=MXdMekl4NWU4QlhLZkFJS0tRSElid2NBbHVHZVl3

many more might be on undeveloped rolls of film... 16 + years old... anyone recommend a place that developed old film, probably got close to 10 rolls....

kids these days have no idea that you had to save up $$ to buy and develop your pictures...

Last edited:
some interesting photos. Would be great if you could note how you were repairing the specific planes with the photos. Some very clever ways to get things done!

I miss the days when folks just went and did what needed doing. Instead of all hanging at the parts house we have a brew pub on every corner so sit around talking about what we used to do.

At least I am not allergic to beer.

some interesting photos. Would be great if you could note how you were repairing the specific planes with the photos. Some very clever ways to get things done!

reload page.. i did start adding comments.. as best i can recall... want to recall...

Helped recover half a dozen or so airplanes in the late 70’s. Fun to look at your pictures, brings back great memories. I was young enough to be eager to fly the ones that the insurance company had totaled...... Ferry permit? Ha ha......

Yes Mark, Now that the malinformed FAA has decided to micromanage the traditional authority of an A&P, we will reverting to the "old fashioned" method of moving damaged and out of license airplanes. :evil:

Back