• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tradition Ferry Permit issuance method GONE

Boston FSDO point blank told me no, they will not issue a ferry permit. Recently tried portland and they are way too busy to even call me back. Busy doing what? Hell if i know

Nutty. I s'pose the practical result for many folks will be to simply ignore ferry permits. Strikes me as pure nonsense that an A&P shouldn't be able to tell if a mechanical condition is too iffy to justify flying as-is.

Thanks Steve and Stewart for stirring the pot. We here under control of the Northeast division of the FAA have yet to receive any guidance from our illustrious FAA types overturning their excuse to sit on their butts and not answering the phone.

Oh man Steve, ya done good with the restraint. No campfire vocabulary. I'm impressed! :lol::lol:

4B9B77C8-.png

Attachments

• 4B9B77C8-.png
    4B9B77C8-.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 841
We just got a memo last week that says DARs can issue ferry permits via email for past due inspections due to Covid. Not sure how long it will last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just got a memo last week that says DARs can issue ferry permits via email for past due inspections due to Covid. Not sure how long it will last.

Note that it is only FSDO DARs (DAR-T) that can issue the special flight permits. MIDO DARs (DAR-F) are not authorized. So make sure you're talking to the correct DAR.

Called my Inspector at the FISDO late yesterday afternoon and left a message to get a ferry permit, got a call back at 8:05 this morning and a nice 5 minute talk had a ferry permit coming to my email. The Fargo FISDO is still great to work with as always.
Good to hear.

I'm MIDO-only (DAR-F), so I won't be messing with these special flight permits. Wonder how many will actually be issued under this authorization. It would be interesting to know.

I’ve only done about a dozen SFPs since I’ve been a DAR (except when I worked at a repair station, then it was about a weekly exercise). It will be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here we are ten months after the notice in post #1. Doesn't it give all you folks a nice fuzzy feeling at how prompt and competent our FAA people are?
This Email came today to all the IAs in our district.
*****************************************************************************************************************

Good afternoon,
Well the day has finally arrived. The Boston FSDO website has been updated. Which means the FSDO is no longer issuing SFP’s and air worthiness certificate replacements.

If you remember, I had told you all this change was coming, I did not know it would take this long. This change has been directed down from headquarters in response to direction from Congress.

The 2 DAR’s in our area Pete Connor & Chris Cunningham have their contact info on the website.

There has been a change to the requirement of the DAR to physically inspect the aircraft before issuing an SFP. Depending on the reason for the SFP, they may still require a physical inspection; but they can issue an SFO without a physical inspection. You will still have to perform an inspection as you now do. Basically they can do exactly what an inspector can do now. So that should make the process the same as when you contacted the office, but there will be a fee charged by the DAR. The FAA does not set the fees the designees charge.

Remember, it is the operators responsibility to operate the aircraft within its annual inspection time period, not yours. I know many of you take care of it for your customers, which is fine, that is not the issue. I would remind your customers that there will be a consequence to flying an aircraft out of annual, or with some mechanical issue not resolved.

I have included the website here, I urge you to look it over. There are other changes that affect pilot certificates as well.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/bos/

Sincerely,
David Cardullo
Principal Maintenance Inspector
Flight Standards Service, General Aviation Division A
AFG-100, Boston FSDO-61
Ph: 781-238-7517 Email: david.cardullo@faa.gov
Click here to submit feedback on our service

0f6nxNKJzPPnh5WAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Your insurance won't be any good - but the way I hear it, a lot of folks are choosing to go bare anyway.

I have a friend with serious assets who is renting his airplanes out for student instruction assuming that naming them on the policy covers him while giving instruction.

I worry about doing my own maintenance without a mechanic's liability policy. A good lawyer told me it was probably covered by my aircraft liability policy.

Anybody know what these ferry permits will cost? A DER has very real expenses staying current and insured.

Life is risk. Accept what you’re comfortable with, walk away from what you’re not. I refuse to stay home and “what if” myself to death. I very seldom put non-family members in my airplane, and I try not to crash into anyone else. Beyond that, there’s a lot to be said for don’t ask, don’t tell.

Back