• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Intercom issue

OLDCROWE

FRIEND
Meanwhile,...
Have a friend with a PS Engineering PM 1000 II in a Pacer which after the plane sat for a couple of months when after life and weather got in the way. Then when he got back in it he could only hear in the left ear only and must turn up volume on both radio and intercom to have any hope to catch radio call. Intercom volume seems OK, but is left side only. so far he has cleaned his headset plugs and I've loaned him a confirmed good DC Clark Onex to test.

Does this sound wiring or DOA intercom?

Kirby

PM 1000II is a mono intercom. If you plug a stereo headset in, it will only have audio on one ear cup.

Also, volume for intercom is controlled at the intercom box, with pilot volume on the left knob, and co-pilot/pax volume on the right knob. Radio volume is controlled at the radio itself.

Plug in an old school mono headset first and check for audio in both ears. Then, if still low com volume, re rack the radio and check to see if the 'Isolate' switch on the face of the intercom, is set to 'All'.

Web

Has he flown the plane or just checked everything on the ground? I have a 182 equipped with the finest avionics Narco offered in 1977, and it has similar performance after sitting for a few months or if I park outside in damp weather. A 2 hr flight gets everything warmed up and back to normal.

I no longer fly in the rain with my SL-40 and PM-501. Have no idea what is happening, but it goes into transmit mode. Mark Scheuer assures me it is not the intercom, which worked fine for two decades, even in the rain.

The Cubs are gradually being converted to the GTR-200, which has a superb internal intercom for open cockpit applications. Its RF squelch sucks, but we have learned to live with local RF interference.

Back