Thread: Bearhawk LSA

Post Thanks / Like

Bearhawk LSA

I've been busy getting this Super Cub done and the conformity inspection paperwork in order for the DAR, more on that soon. But I started this Bearhawk LSA project a few months ago and thought I would post some pictures and info for those who may be interested. This is a factory Bearhawk kit, a few things were done by another builder before I got it but not much. I just finished covering the fuselage and painting with Stewart's System in Idaho Snow. The interior will be a two tone brown / tan leather and fabric side panels. Thinking of an orange and brown stripe of some sort on the outside. Panel will be a single glass unit, probably a G3X and it will run a two axis auto pilot. Matco wheels and brakes, 21 inch tires, Bearhawk 8" tailwheel. I made some mods to install a full skylight and dual throttle quadrants. Engine will be O200 base with the C-85 parts for 110 hp or so, Catto prop.
    I really like this little plane, beautiful quality on the kit from Bearhawk Aircraft. More to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0556.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	397.2 KB 
ID:	44272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0554.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	44273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0547.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	44274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0552.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	44275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0544.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	44276  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0543.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	44277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0542.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	44278  
    Thanks stknrddr thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nce

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful. Cub eater for sure.

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice! I've been trying to help another person with making a choice for an airplane. I recently recommend he look at the Patrol. Very difficult finding one for sale. Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Central Vermont. Hard to find a Patrol for sale. The newest offering from Bearhawk is a side by side Patrol that’s getting a lot of interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested in the Patrol LSA, if it had flaps. I really like the wing on that thing. Bob get's the "give it plenty of square feet" thing.
    Likes WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never heard anyone who has flow an LSA say that flaps would improve it. Quite the opposite. They seem to say its perfect just the way it is.

I'm building a Patrol. I think I've seen two come up for sale in about the last 4 years.
    Likes WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcone1381;753630

I'm building a Patrol. I think I've seen two come up for sale in about the last 4 years.[/QUOTE]

Very true! I only know of one that was purchased recently and it wasn't even advertised. Sold immediately by word of mouth.

As for the side by side, ironically, this person would prefer a side by side and I mentioned to them about the new SxS coming out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcone1381 View Post
    I've never heard anyone who has flow an LSA say that flaps would improve it. Quite the opposite. They seem to say its perfect just the way it is.

I'm building a Patrol. I think I've seen two come up for sale in about the last 4 years.
    Really? Being able to dump a boat load of drag out there, in addition to any slipping going on, is something I'd be loath to give up. I'd bet they fly out of paved airports, I'm talking about off airport, or even my 400' long home strip for that matter. I can come in a bit hot thru the burbles, and still easily get it down by using an aggressive slip AND 60 degrees of flap. I'd just like to see flaps listed as an extra cost option, but I do get the keep it simple and light thing.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Flaps have been a constant discussion since the LSA came out but Bob left them out on purpose, simpler, lighter. It would change some of the structure of the wing to add flaps, rear spar would be beefier etc. The Patrol is the big flap tandem ship. To be clear there are four Bearhawk versions - 4 place, Patrol, Patrol SxS (or Companion) and LSA. An electric ultralight might make it's way in the lineup.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want an LSA with flaps, build a non-electric Patrol with a light O-360 or O-320 and a Cato prop.

The flap on the Patrol is huge. Its 8' 8" long with a 21" cord. (30 sq ft) As a comparison, the Patrol's flap are is 27% the size of an RV6's entire wing (110 sq ft). The next on-line compliant about the Patrol flap is that its not a flower style. Its a plane flap....simple & light.

A simple non-electric Cato propped Patrol will weigh less than 1100 lbs. It has a 2000 lbs advertised MGW but the designer has approved 2200 lbs for a takeoff gross weight with a 2000 lb landing gross weight. Can a 182 can carry that much weight?

I almost built an LSA, but chose the Patrol because Bob Barrows asked me if I wanted a Super cub type aircraft or a J3 type of aircraft. But this is a Bearhawk LSA thread, not Patrol thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine is on and the cowl and boot cowl area are coming along. The motor was built up by Bob Barrows - O200A with forged Wiesco pistons he has made up for a 9.3/1 compression and the ability to run it up a little higher RPM, like 3200. O200 cam, platinum spark plugs, Bob's spun oil reservoir, MA-3SPA carb. It will run a Catto 74/42 prop.
    The windshield fairing and nose bowl are roughed out, Skylight is in, Floor boards and side panels are pretty much done, covered in brown Aerotex fabric.
    On to the panel, it will have a Garmin G5, GMC 507 AutoPilot controler, GTR200 radio, Aera 660 GPS, GTX345w all in one transponder ADSB and GR EIS4000 engine monitor. I believe it will be the first LSA model with autopilot so a little learning curve with a strong rudder airplane. Seats are at Oregon Aero for two tone leather in brown / tan.
    Should be a real good looking machine. Final paint scheme will incorporate Orange and Brown to the Idaho Snow. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	45235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	45236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	45237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	45238
    Thanks bcone1381 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone hears of a Bearhawk for sale, let me know as I am in the market for one.
    Let's go Flying!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Which version are you looking for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for in order of preference would be Companion, Patrol, 4 place
    Let's go Flying!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    MileHighPeter,

I'd suggest you talk to Dave (Bearhawk Builder), and then order a Companion kit to be shipped to his place for assembly. If you've not seen one of his builds, you've missed out. Highly recommended.

pb
    Thanks MileHighPeter, Bearhawk Builder thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How about patrol LSA knockoff. O-320 200 since IRAN, Flaps, 40 gal fuel, tundra tires, double puck groves, catto, 810# empty, for less than a no engine or instruments kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got any pics?
    Let's go Flying!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, Oh ya, you can fly it home!

PM me with # and I'll text you some pic's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by don d View Post
    Yep, Oh ya, you can fly it home!

PM me with # and I'll text you some pic's.
    You have this for sale? I know someone looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    My number is 219-405-9725...Thanks
    Let's go Flying!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Reluctantly for sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by don d View Post
    How about patrol LSA knockoff. O-320 200 since IRAN, Flaps, 40 gal fuel, tundra tires, double puck groves, catto, 810# empty, for less than a no engine or instruments kit?
    810 empty, thats good. im 100 heavier than that with no flaps and a 90.

Post Thanks / Like
    This plane was built before the Patrol was available. Does have patrol wingtips! Has nothing on it that doesn't produce lift. Wieghed 775 with O 235 and metal prop.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no flying Companions yet, first kit was just delivered. Patrols are hard to come by and seem to get snatched up fast. I see you posted on the Bearhawk forum, good place to keep your eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighPeter View Post
    Looking for in order of preference would be Companion, Patrol, 4 place

Post Thanks / Like
    Panel is laid out and cut, I'm having Green Mountain Avionics wire up the interface between the G5 - 660 - GMC auto pilot / servos and the GTX ADSB transponder. Everything fits fine, I would have preferred to use the Trig units but the owner wants all Garmin. Grand Rapids EIS is a nice simple unit, it's all wired up and ready to go in the panel once finished. I'll have the panel powder coated white and then flat black and etch the labels through the black only, nice look. The exhaust came yesterday from Clint at Vetterman. We don't hear enough good stories about vendors but I have to say Clint does a great job, this exhaust system fit like a glove and is a work of art, Nice Job!!
    Carbon Fiber Spinner is cut and mated up to the Catto Prop, which is another beautiful piece.
    Floor boards are out for powder coating. Seats are due from Oregon Aero mid December.
    I made a set of engine baffles which is a lot of work since there really is nothing out there that made sense to start with for the LSA Bearhawk. The Patrol and Four Place builders can use a Vans kit to start with and modify from there but I didn't find anything that made sense for the O200 so had to start from scratch. They came out pretty good.
    Bottom cowl lip is next, not sure if it will be 5052 or fiberglass.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	45917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	45918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	45919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	45920

Post Thanks / Like
    the spun aluminum oil sump is sortve cool, are they still being made? how thick of aluminum did you go on your baffles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob Barrows makes the oil sump, they are on his website randbaircraft.com
    .040 baffles with some beef up areas

Post Thanks / Like
    that cabin heat box, the triangle shape one you have on there, i wish i had one of those, makes plumbing the exhaust heat alot easier, and they dont stick out so far. added a picture for others hope you dont mind?
    Last edited by tempdoug; 11-30-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Likes CamTom12, Bearhawk Builder liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Made one from a realestate sign and another from top of 55 gal barrel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if it's really required, but I usually see O-200s with the support bracket that attaches from the forward intake spider stud to the top of the airbox just behind the filter. Even with that support installed, I found my airbox cracked where the main body attaches to the flanged tube. Seems to be a common problem. I can see how the crossover exhaust might not allow for the bracket to fit in this case. They can be found cheap on ebay - Continental P/N A3591.
    Thanks Bearhawk Builder thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fancypants View Post
    Not sure if it's really required, but I usually see O-200s with the support bracket that attaches from the forward intake spider stud to the top of the airbox just behind the filter. Even with that support installed, I found my airbox cracked where the main body attaches to the flanged tube. Seems to be a common problem. I can see how the crossover exhaust might not allow for the bracket to fit in this case. They can be found cheap on ebay - Continental P/N A3591.
    Or Made.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a different mixture control lever for the MA3-PA carb for the O-200. This lever moves fore / aft and is aligned with the center of the oil tank. I understand there is another lever that moves more side / side like this one pictured. I haven't had much success in finding where to get that lever or what model it might be found on. Cessna 150 maybe?
    Any thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	46099

Post Thanks / Like
    My Marvel MA-3SPA p/n 10-4252 came with the side-to-side lever pictured above. Looks like their mixture levers all start with p/n 155-

https://msacarbs.com/?s=155+mix+leve...&type_aws=true

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I’ll give them a call