• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dented Fuel Tank

MZ18

MN
The top of my right fuel tank has been dented to where the top of the filler cap is now basically flush with the top of the wing tank cover. It hasn't been sucked in by a blocked vent, it was pushed on too hard by someone while unscrewing the fuel cap. It's a real pain now to remove the fuel cap, any suggestions on best method to pull the dent out?

I make my living, or use to among other things doing PDR(paintless dent removal) might be a good chance your dent could be fixed by a good tech. Check around at the Car lots to see who they use. Shouldn’t be a problem for a good guy!

could you make some kind of a T tool that hinges at the intersection of the T insert and pull it back up. just my first thought.

Make a tool like a large toggle bolt and pull on it. It should pop right out.
CB-toggleBolt__21706.1536080783.png

Attachments

• CB-toggleBolt__21706.1536080783.png
    CB-toggleBolt__21706.1536080783.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 849
I second Doug's approach, a J hook with a suitable handle for you to pull up on. Work it around the filler so you pull up evenly. It should not take allot of effort.
There are other methods such as air pressure to inflate the tank but that has it's risks involved, primarily these tanks are not real happy with much more than a few pounds, some tanks can split a seam with as little as 5psi. Gas welded tanks generally hold up better than Tig welded tanks.
If you choose to inflate a tank always fill it with water to greatly decrease the amount of energy the air can create. It can take quite a few sunny days to dry a tank that has been water filled before connecting it to go back into service.
But as you say it was pushed down so it should pull up easily enough.

Ah, Steve's toggle as well.

Eye bolt through an old fuel cap. Twist fuel cap on & pull on eye bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Check the neck where it attaches to the tank and make sure it isn’t cracking. I had a pacer tank that the neck was pushed down from resting gas cans on the filler neck and it cracked when it was pulled out. Could have been a bad deal if it had been rained on or washed

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Times seven on the look for cracks around the neck. And don’t ask how I know that.

MTV

Correct me please but are -18 fuel tanks not vented through the caps only ?

I managed to get a Maule main, the old pillow type up to 20psi before the seams began to open. the dents that became nice and smooth became dents again.

Last edited:
Back