Thread: Captain Al Haynes heads West

Post Thanks / Like

Captain Al Haynes heads West

Today Captain Al Haynes headed West. I am sure many, if not all, of you remember the emergency landing piloted by Captain Haynes at the Sioux City IA airport aboard Flight 232. There are many videos out there today which chronicle the amazing job that Captain Haynes performed in dealing with total loss of the hydraulic system in the aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4tF...TQkiPXxWu65mcw

A couple of years after the Flight 232 disaster I was in the audience of a medical conference and the guest speaker was a flight surgeon/pilot from the Air National Guard...I cannot recall his name.

This pilot/physician was at the Sioux City airport when the disaster occurred. It just so happened that the National Guard unit in that region practiced emergency procedures should a disaster occur, and he was there following that rehearsal...which was held the day before the disaster. He had photographs which he had taken from his position that showed the carnage, and he had the news video, also. One of the many interesting things he pointed out was the fact that the aircraft crashed mainly in the cornfield, not on the runway, and at that time the corn was as high as an elephants eye, he pointed out. It was his feeling that this helped keep the fire contained to the extent that it did. It was his feeling that had the aircraft crashed on the runway the loss of life would be even greater. So, too, was the extremely rapid response of those rescuers, who had just exercised their skills the day before, replete with area ambulances, rescue personnel and area hospitals.

Lastly, he pointed out that the cockpit resource management, the teamwork, led by Captain Haynes, was impressive given the total loss of hydraulic systems. The veteran pilot's understanding of using power to turn the aircraft was critical, something that he felt is often glossed over in the training of younger pilots. The video link above does a great job explaining what happened, and chronicles the sequence of events which faced the crew.

Before Sully, it was Captain Haynes.

I thought this perspective would be appreciated by you folks.

Randy

Last edited by WindOnHisNose; 08-26-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    Thanks eskflyer, Delta Cub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have issues with the term "crash landing." As a professional pilot, I would never use it . The 5 oclock news loves it. That crew accomplished a miracle by coming as close as they did to an "emergency landing."
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    I have issues with the term "crash landing." As a professional pilot, I would never use it . The 5 oclock news loves it. That crew accomplished a miracle by coming as close as they did to an "emergency landing."
    Point taken. Thanks. Change has been made.

rsc
    Thanks Eddie Foy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Some really good photos from the local paper...

https://siouxcityjournal.com/photos-...15979e6.html#1

Some terrific photos of Captain Haynes through the years...

https://siouxcityjournal.com/multime...db62f8.html#16

Randy
    Thanks jrussl thanked for this post
    Likes Hardtailjohn, fobjob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I recall from trade a plane that he had to sell his sweetheart twin commanche afterwards as United screwed him in a retirement payment crisis they went through. Anyone have any more info on that?

hard to believe it was 25 years ago.......

Post Thanks / Like
    The Sioux City incident was an incredible feat of pilot skills. I'm still amazed that anybody survived, considering the aircraft had essentially no flight controls.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I still remember the first responders talking about all the survivors just walking out of the corn field.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post