Thread: Alaska Cruise.. what to see/do?

Post Thanks / Like

Alaska Cruise.. what to see/do?

On an Alaska Cruise, Whittier/Vancouver. Ports start tomorrow, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan on consecutive days.
    Just wondering if anyone might have suggestions on things to do or see. There are lots of shore excursions listed but most just look like “tourist-y fluff.
    Bob D

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob

Since you know your schedule I highly recommend you set up your own "excursions". Call Taquan Air in ketchikan and charter a Beaver for an hour or two to take you "flight seeing". They will probably take you on a tour around Misty Fiords and that will be most excellent.

Call a local outfitter to take you fishing for a few hours

Although it was through the boat and "touristy" we did the panning for gold excursion in Skagway and it was fun. But I also had a 10 year old son and part of the fun was watching him discover gold.

Enjoy the scenery and cruise. Best vacation I took with the family and cemented my desire to go back in my own floatplane. This is my fourth summer flying floats in Southeast Alaska. Having a ball and living the dream, all due to that cruise.

Best of luck

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Likes CharlieN, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In Juneau. I am sure your cruise offers a flight seeing trip to Taku River Lodge. Take it! We did it 4 years ago and it is an amazing flight in a Turbine Beaver, on floats. My wife rode in the right seat (she is a high time seaplane pilot, but been away from it for several years). Stunning, very remote lodge and great food.

I second Bill Rusk’s suggestion to charter a Beaver in Ketchikan. Again, beautiful country. Again, my wife was in the right seat. For us, it was a trip of a lifetime.
    -Brad
    Likes okmike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Juneau-

outdoors: Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls (taxi, no tour group necessary) Perseverance Trail up behind downtown (walking distance from cruise ships -Up Gold Street past the last houses over wooden bridge)

flight-seeing: several helicopter operators all offering similar packages, Wings Airways Turbine Otters operate right downtown very near cruise ship berths. Flight to a remote lodge at base of picturesque glacier/icefall

food/drink: Amalga Distillery downtown, Alaskan Brewing in the Lemon Creek area (free tasters and good brew. Can taxi here) Deckhand Dave’s (fish tacos) downtown food stall area. Tracy’s Crab Shack ($$$$ but tasty).

Skagway:
    tours: Alaska Mountain Guides (easy to moderate rock climbing for ages 5-70 as well as zip line canopy tour) National Park Service walking tour (good history for gold rush era if you are into that sort of thing. Otherwise a stop off at their office gives lots of good information relating to the history of the region etc. Ocean Raft Alaska- high powered vessel cruising the rocky shoreline at high speed looking at waterfalls/wildlife
    White Pass Klondike Railroad famous railway tour. Long tour but scenic and if weather is poor a good option. Bring snack etc.

Flight-seeing : Temsco Helicopter or Mountain Flying Service operating a Beaver into Glacier Bay for tours.

Food/drink: Red Onion (Pizza) Starfire (good Thai food) Skagway Brew Comapny beer and food

Ketchikan: not as familiar with offerings here but certainly flightseeing into Misty Fjords as well as fishing on a charter vessel. I’d look into fishing sooner rather than later as they tend to book up pretty quick and in advance.
    Thanks Taledrger thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if she still does it, but I used to know a gal who offered sea kayak trips in the Misty Fjords.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, in Ketchikan, and knowing that you're looking at flightseeing, wife and I took a boat cruise through Misty Fjords when we were there in 2015(?) and it was the best boat trip we've been on in Alaska, bar none...admittedly, it was a bluebird day which is rare....
    Back In Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Wife and I just went on this trip end of June into July, from Vancouver to Whittier, and then by train up to Denali. In Ketchikan we did a float plane ride over the Fjords and landed at a resort and were served all you can eat Dungeness Crab. If I remember right the float plane company was Misty Fjords Air, very nice people. In Juneau we did the whale watching, saw a lot of whales, even got pictures. Also
    in Juneau take your friends to the Red Dog Saloon, tourist-y but neat, and buy a round of Duck Farts, you won't be disappointed if you like that sort of thing. We did a dog sled thing in Skagway but wasn't impressed, we were there on Sunday so not much going on.

Everything we did was probably tourist-y but for a Texas flatlander it was a trip of a lifetime, probably my favorite thing was on the boat outside our room on the balcony watching beautiful scenery go by at about 15 knots, have fun!!
    Wes Schwarz
    Likes Runway51 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I live near Admiralty Inlet, that's where the cruise ships from Seattle pass out of Puget Sound on their way to Alaska.
    Sunday evening there's always 2 or 3 big ones heading out.
    I'm often out flying then and have to yet to see people outside taking in the beautiful scenery--
    unpacking in their room, I guess,
    or more likely already eating & drinking inside (and gambling?).
    They don't know what they're missing--
    I went on a local whale watching trip a couple years ago,
    and the scenery is just as awesome from 10' MSL as it is from higher up in an airplane.
    It does give a lot different perspective though!
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    You will save lots of money booking your tours directly where possible. This is harder on international cruises but completely doable for any Alaska port. All the suggestions are good, you won't hit them all and leave something for the next time. Cruises do a great job of showing people a lot of Alaska quickly. About 40% come back on their own and explore more although few do it as thoroughly as Bill!
    Enjoy your time up here!