• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Time for an OKLAHOMA Fly-in.

OLDCROWE

FRIEND
Meanwhile,...
Super Cub.org members fly-in at the Crowe Bar Ranch (sorry we don’t have an identifier yet).
Where: Stone Bluff Oklahoma which is approximately 20 miles South East of Tulsa and roughly 4 miles NNNW of the Haskell Oklahoma Airport (2K9). We are situated on the South side of the Arkansas River 1.5 miles West of the highway 72 bridge over the River which runs N/S between Coweta and Haskell).

Foreflight 890409BF-E9E2-4C9D-B863-F133553C5DF3.jpg

When: November 1-3, 2019.

What to expect:

• Early November is typically great weather in Northeast Oklahoma with green grass, cool evenings and few bugs because we usually have a frost by then, we’ll update as the date gets closer.
  • Laid-back Oklahoma hospitality.
  • Good food (it’s Oklahoma so yes there will be GOOD BBQ!)
  • Tent camping on Oklahoma Bermuda grass. Outdoor power is available in a couple of spots for those who may need a breathing apparatus or to recharge some other device.
  • A great night sky with epic sun sets and rises.
  • Enough Bald Eagles to keep you on your toes when flying.

What you’ll need:

• Tie-downs.
  • Typical tent camping stuff, we’ll post the forecast as it gets close.
  • Lawn chair(s).
  • Campfire stories.
  • Your own adult beverages.
  • Fishing thingies if you're so inclined.
  • A few $ for the donation Jar, please.

What’s planned:

• Friday afternoon arrival with Dinner in the hanger, if you plan to get here early let me know and we’ll trade lunch for set up help.
  • Saturday Breakfast is likely a fly-out possible to Ponca City (KPNC) for the monthly booster club breakfast or elsewhere.
  • On the way back, we’ll likely stop in at Will Rogers Birthplace (OK37) and maybe the Museum if we can arrange ground transport.
  • Afternoon/Evening River run or maybe land a few nearby strips, lots of options, we’ll have a list.
  • Saturday Dinner, In the Hanger, hopefully epic (and no I'm not cooking the great OK18 steak feed ever again).
  • Fire Pit worthy of back country aviation tales.
  • Sunday Breakfast and blast-off.

Restrictions:

• Tail wheel only. Well, except for Mike and Patty’s sweet straight tail 182.
  • Supporting members of SC.org at least one per aircraft please.
  • Our strip is a lot of fun but not for beginners, we are located on a ridge top 140’ above the Arkansas River bottom land on one end and a rugged canyon on the other with about 1200’ x 40’ useable feet in between that you’ll approach often thru a sinker just before the cut in the trees on final. The strip is up-hill both directions and surrounded by trees (can be sporty in a blow, especially if from the SE) and the windsock is close/adjacent to the strip. If you're not sure, please reach out to me and we'll talk about it so you can make an informed decision. Worst case wind wise go into Haskell and we'll pick you up until it settles down.
  • The non-cub minimum allowable (main) tire size is 8.00’s.
  • NO BUZZING. This is our home and we do have (a few) neighbors. Besides there is plenty of room to play on the river.
  • Landing South use LEFT traffic (little or no wind preferred).
  • Landing North use RIGHT traffic and just keep it in tight (inside of the pine trees on the hill).
  • Please depart North if possible.
  • Fuel is available OTHER places, (Muscogee, Claremore, Okmulgee, Sand Springs and Haskell in a pinch) just be sure to get here with 1.5-2 hours on board to be safe and make it to Ponca (there is fuel there) on Saturday morning.
  • No Night Ops! The deer and the coyotes don’t like it, so if you find yourself arriving more 15 minutes after sunset, please divert to Haskell (it sorta has lights) and call for a ride.
  • No individual campfires.
  • BYOB.
  • Attendance is limited to the first 25 planes to notify me by PM.

Please post questions and let me know by PM if you you’re planning on it as we’ll be coordinating meals, porta-pots and other such necessities so the sooner we know the better things will be.

Lastly, I’m not Pilot-In-Command YOU ARE and as such everything is at YOUR risk in accordance with The Oklahoma Recreational Aviation Use Statute.

Attachments

• 890409BF-E9E2-4C9D-B863-F133553C5DF3.jpg
    890409BF-E9E2-4C9D-B863-F133553C5DF3.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
This sounds like fun, put me down, sent you a pm of my contact number if needed.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Teaser pics, still spots available.

3CA22C54-7726-47E6-A538-F3A532D48581.jpg
F393B640-C87A-4E9F-8477-F1BEF202D249.jpg
River is running good, but still some bars to crawl.

Attachments

• 3CA22C54-7726-47E6-A538-F3A532D48581.jpg
    3CA22C54-7726-47E6-A538-F3A532D48581.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 256
  • F393B640-C87A-4E9F-8477-F1BEF202D249.jpg
    F393B640-C87A-4E9F-8477-F1BEF202D249.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 285
You would think I would have learned to not listen to Eaton about where to land. Guess I’m a slow learner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Eaton. Those videos are promotional videos for gas shocks and tail springs. Pretty sure you could license them to SuperCubs north or Acme. It’s not often a SuperCub resonates like a 170 on spring gear.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Wow Eaton. Those videos are promotional videos for gas shocks and tail springs. Pretty sure you could license them to SuperCubs north or Acme. It’s not often a SuperCub resonates like a 170 on spring gear.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

It was pretty funny, after I landed Ford asked how it was? I said. “It’s fine, come on down”. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop in at OK18 during the Weekend

Kirby,

Looks like a lot of fun - especially with the cast of characters that have already shown an interest:lol:.

I wanted to extend an invitation to you and your guest to stop in at OK18 during the weekend. Our place is only 40 NM North East of your place and right on the way to that "Rocky Place" below Grand Lake dam. Neighbors love to see the airplanes coming in and out of here, so feel free to fly wherever you want.

The crappie fishing from the dock is usually pretty good that time of year, and we have a number of rods and reels ready to go into service. We could even set a trot line and might catch part of a Super Cub floating back down from that "Rocky Place" upstream. If you would like to schedule something more formal, let me know.

As you stated in your original post, the PIC is in charge of their airplane and all the decision making associated with flying it - so land at your own risk. If pilots would like a brief, I am happy to provide one if they would like to PM me. Pretty sure that if they can handle your place, OK18 would be a breeze.

Hope to see some of the SuperCub.org bunch in November.

All the Best,

Clayton

Well, looks like I’m out. I got a text tonight from some family coming to visit on the same weekend - I’ll be glad to see them but wish it wasn’t the same weekend!

Well, looks like I’m out. I got a text tonight from some family coming to visit on the same weekend - I’ll be glad to see them but wish it wasn’t the same weekend!

Sorry for waffling. My family had to reschedule for the weekend after, I'm back free and planning to attend!

Looks like were going to have a good trun out and there's is still room for a few more. A bit early for a Wx prediction but since we've already had a freeze the bugs are in check. In preperation for we had a food test run for Saturday nights dinner a copuple of weeks ago with my daughters pre-wedding party and were going to scale it up from there so keep signing up and I'll post a list of who I have so far shortly.o

Fly in central
B75E247E-B8D3-4135-82A5-D4BC258C5D6E.jpeg
Dinner
6A99C648-DE24-4FE1-9081-873613BD7E87.jpeg

Attachments

• B75E247E-B8D3-4135-82A5-D4BC258C5D6E.jpeg
    B75E247E-B8D3-4135-82A5-D4BC258C5D6E.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 221
  • 6A99C648-DE24-4FE1-9081-873613BD7E87.jpeg
    6A99C648-DE24-4FE1-9081-873613BD7E87.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
The long range weather looks quite promising and we're just about full so if you're on the fence it's time to commit!

Friday arrivals, sunset on 11/1 is 6:28ish so plan on being on the ground no later than 6:45. Also it's the new moon so should be a great night sky. If you're late remember Haskell is just 5 miles SSE and they have lights and have widened the majority of their runway (tie downs spots are against the fence in-between the big hanger and the fuel tank) and we will be happy to come get late arrivals rather than anyone risk a dark landing on unfamiliar terrain especially when the deer are moving.

A few days prior I'll update on the winds and such.

Kirby

Last edited:
80D572F8-7AC0-4AD9-A106-A9674C9B3981.jpeg

Looks like good sleeping weather, we’re up on the bluff overlooking the River so usually several degrees warmer than forecast in the mornings and the hangers heated.

Attachments

• 80D572F8-7AC0-4AD9-A106-A9674C9B3981.jpeg
    80D572F8-7AC0-4AD9-A106-A9674C9B3981.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Menu update:

Friday Dinner - Chili (both Beef and Turkey), Baked Potatoes, Fruit Salad, and Chocolate Sheet Cake.

Saturday Breakfast - Coffee, OJ and a snack followed by the epic Ponca City (KPNC) Booster Breakfast (about a Cub hour away).

Saturday Lunch - Food truck (working on it) at Sand Springs (KOWP)

Saturday Dinner - Meat, lots of (smoked) Meat (Chicken, Pork Loin, Brisket, and Sausage), Twice Baked Potato Casserole, Green Beans, Rolls, and followed by Apple Crisp & Pumpkin Nut Cake.

Sunday Breakfast - Breakfast Casserole, Biscuits and Gravy, a Yogurt Bar, OJ and Coffee.

Remember, BRING YOUR OWN Adult Beverages and Pop. Also if someone wants to coordinate a beer run Friday afternoon we’ll have coolers and a vehicle available.

Saturday Plan:

Coffey and a snack beginning at first light or before in the nice warm hanger.

7:45 Fire up for departure to KPNC ( about a Cub hour away) for their epic Booster Breakfast “For a suggested $8.00 donation (and well worth it) you can have pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, biscuits & gravy, orange juice, coffee, and fruit.”

after breakfast we have a couple of primitive strips and some sand bars scoped out about 15 miles south of Ponca plus the Pawnee grass strip H-97 (with a cool over the lake approach) on the way-ish to Sand Springs for a food truck lunch and their annual Pumpkin Drop fun begins at 1:00.

For the history minded the Dog Iron Ranch OK-37 (Will Rogers birthplace) strip is fun and house and grounds are pretty interesting additionally we’ve been invited to make a run up to OK-18.

Around our place there should be sand bars (river level dependent) and we’re working on access to some grass strips within 10 miles, one is quite photogenic...

Dinner in the Hanger beginning at 6:30

Hanger flying and Fire Pit

Back