• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Say again the price of that Jeep...

Scouter

SPONSOR
Exeter Maine
Like many of you I have a jeep wrangler that I use to putz around in, mainly to take the wife and grandkids to the ice cream drive in. Its pretty impressive how many in this group have a jeep of one flavor or another.
They are sorta a poor vehicle, cold, noisy, dont handle well but I love em. Im on my 20th version. Was driving the jeep before I had a liscence, and my kids all learned to drive in a jeep. My first joint venture was with the two boys when we rebuilt a wrecked TJ for their first car.

Ive been watching the inventory grow at a local jeep dealer, the 2020s are out now. They unloaded a couple of Unlimited Rubicons yesterday, with the new colors, one Bikini Blue and the other Mojito green.
These are the top of the line, with every option except hared top.

Window sticker at $59999

Almost $60K for a rag top jeep. Holy batman,keep on movin

Jim
26FADDBC-DFA1-45A1-938E-DF8B6A577DF0.jpeg

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,807
  • 26FADDBC-DFA1-45A1-938E-DF8B6A577DF0.jpeg
    26FADDBC-DFA1-45A1-938E-DF8B6A577DF0.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 2,257
And is that blue one now in front of your garage with the last of the summer snow in the yard?
So what is the story of that tough little Cornbinder in your avatar under your screen name? :wink:

My grandfather had a Jeep and that is what I learned to drive on the levee roads of the Mississippi River. My brother got one in high school and I worked on it. Swore them off after that. ;)

I feel your pain... I got my 1st Jeep when I was 17. Cost me $1200. I’ve owned Jeep’s for the last 35 years.
They fall into the same category as cubs. Not the best at anything, price makes no sense when using logic to justify, but pretty good at everything, unlimited mods & accessories.
Like a cub no matter what your parked next to people always at least glance at it.

They have come a long way since my 78 CJ5.

She was a Mercedes girl when I met her. Now my Jeep smells girly & is always clean!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile appIMG_0838.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 294
And is that blue one now in front of your garage with the last of the summer snow in the yard?
So what is the story of that tough little Cornbinder in your avatar under your screen name? :wink:

Negative on the blue jeep, the 09 is still in front of the hangar. Im looking around for a 4 door version. Get a bit sporty when most of the grandkids get in the back to head for the ice cream. Reminds me a lot of 3 boys in the back of the station wagon, better than any WWF wresttiling. Drove my folks to the edge. The sales manager told me that the modern jeep wrangler wins the prize by far for holding its resale value of of any car.

In a previous life, I was flying Scouts. I had 3 over ten years. Wonderful airplane, the last one was a sweetheart. Some medical stuff forced me to Light Sport, now I fly the cubcrafters flag over the hangar. Suppose I should change the avatar. My brother had one of the last cornbinder Scouts they made. You could hear it rusting in the night. Im not kidding

John thats a sweet rubicon. 3.5 inch lift?

Jim

hate to rain on a parade, have had 3 heaps, mainly grand cherokees 98 and newer, electrical problems galore, no more. all the wiring i cant believe they can carry electricity there such a small gauge. electrical dampner doors nightmare. windows ugh.

It's interesting the commonality I see as I get to know more of the big tire guys. My first car was a '74 CJ5 it wasn't pretty but it would do everything I asked of it. I've owned six other CJ5's of various flavors and one Wrangler since that time, then the aviation bug got hold of me and now I spend most of my fun time with the plane.

Love my TJ. Tow it behind my RV. Perfect for that because you can tow it 4 down. Driving it makes me smile! I ditched the soft top for a hard top.

Last edited:
I like jeeps - used to have one. But I needed more space and versatility so I got a 4Runner. My Dad has one for 20 something years and that truck wouldn’t quit. Mine’s 34 years old this year and runs like a top!

c0a6df460b4152d60e123a0e757bc7a9.jpg

Too funny. When I thought about buying a Jeep, a buddy told me they were terrible vehicles-drove crappy, couldn't haul anything, cold, noisy--he thought they were great.
Twenty years later, I still have mine and he still has his. The closest I get to 4 wheeling is driving on the grass in front of my hangar.

I've owned 8 or 10, newest was a 62 pickup. Oldest daughters first vehicle was a 2wd 10 year old Comanche. I have a friend who has driven nothing but 2WD Comanches since they came out, even today. He has a rustfree spare he bought down south in storage waiting for the one he's driving to die

Glenn

They are now a Chrysler product......or if you prefer, a Fiat product......GROSS!

That oughta get em going!

MTV

Fiat. Fix it Again Tony. Toyotas for me, the worse Toyota is better then the best Chevy, Ford, etc. Says a guy born and raised 20 miles away from the River Rouge Detroit plants.

My most dependable vehicles are built with chop sticks.....my fun ones are built with wrenches!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

My first at seventeen was a 64 CJ, 4 cly F-head if I remember correctly 134 ci. Pulled the body, welded and repaired the floor painted her red with black soft top. Dick Cepek supplied the Armstong Tru-Trac flotation tires which looking at gave me the same thrill then as my Bushwheels do now. That poor little engine struggled to turn them much over 50 but it ran the beaches on the Cape, took us camping, skiing, carried a few deer and more than a few kegs of beer. Would get so cold inside you needed a scraper to keep the inside windshield clear and drove in a old army mummy bag to keep from freezing to death. It is the vehicle that I carry my most fond memories of.

VTGlenn

My first Jeep was a 1975 CJ-5. It was so rotted at 7 years old that in 1982 for my senior project at the local Vo-Tech school I designed and built a new body out of 12 gauge steel. Drove that Jeep for a few years after. Quite a few Wranglers later and I still like them, but boy do they rust up here.

Owned a 87 Cherokee Limited for a while... There are days I wish I did not sell it...

Bought the oldest boy a 97 Wrangler with the 4 banger... just got through giving it a new paint job a few days ago... He is currently driving it with a Smittybilt Brief top and the soft top doors... we have a hard top with hard top doors for it also.. we have plans for the next few mods... I’m living vicariously through him.. [emoji23]

b4ca3851cb1680f30885425c2b089e3d.jpg

5e7e00a4eb7233811313de76a2f95c1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first at seventeen was a 64 CJ, 4 cly F-head if I remember correctly 134 ci. Pulled the body, welded and repaired the floor painted her red with black soft top. Dick Cepek supplied the Armstong Tru-Trac flotation tires which looking at gave me the same thrill then as my Bushwheels do now. That poor little engine struggled to turn them much over 50 but it ran the beaches on the Cape, took us camping, skiing, carried a few deer and more than a few kegs of beer. Would get so cold inside you needed a scraper to keep the inside windshield clear and drove in a old army mummy bag to keep from freezing to death. It is the vehicle that I carry my most fond memories of.

VTGlenn

glenn
be sure to ask the silver hair girl about going on dates with a farmers son in a ragtops 78 cj 5 at -26
more the time I picked her up for dinner, she had some smoking high heels and a black leather miniskirt
We went to the mud fest. Don’t know why she hangs around ����

jim

I have a less intense memory, when I got out of high school I had if I recall a '73 CJ-5, if I remember it was about the last of the SWB versions.
October into November I had not put the sides on the top yet. Turns out my lady friend was not as cold tolerant as I was. Damn she was a good one too. Oh well. By spring I was into the car I still drive today.

I bought a ‘73 Landcruiser in high school, still got it. Poor things been upside down a few times but always ready for more adventure.
Everytime something broke I’d build it stronger. Japan meets Detroit, GM driveline, ford 9”
Did a frame up restoration a few years ago, now I don’t wanna get it dirty :oops:
7AF5FDBC-8E25-4823-97F4-E60262B82796.jpg

073DDBB6-94FF-4DB3-ABC9-A735ADE1FCCA.jpeg

Attachments

• 7AF5FDBC-8E25-4823-97F4-E60262B82796.jpg
    7AF5FDBC-8E25-4823-97F4-E60262B82796.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 073DDBB6-94FF-4DB3-ABC9-A735ADE1FCCA.jpeg
    073DDBB6-94FF-4DB3-ABC9-A735ADE1FCCA.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 218
Bought my first one last winter. The cub analogy is spot on. Leaky, noisy, rough riding, and durable (eccept the stuff that has the crysler symbol on it). Straight six (amc)and running gear looks stout. Happy so far while i to am getting some electrical gremlins fixed. Notice when its warm outside the oil pressure is down around 20 psi. Normal or am i in for a pump? Ive tried everything from dyno and synth 10-30 and am now using havoline 10-40 with a quart of lucas.

20190823_191032.jpg

Attachments

• 20190823_191032.jpg
    20190823_191032.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 183
Oh, and im looking for a used wheel for a full size spare if anyone has one laying around. 15" wheel and i believe its the 4.5x5 bolt pattern. Its a 1996. Thanks

I bought a ‘73 Landcruiser in high school, still got it. Poor things been upside down a few times but always ready for more adventure.
Everytime something broke I’d build it stronger. Japan meets Detroit, GM driveline, ford 9”
Did a frame up restoration a few years ago, now I don’t wanna get it dirty :oops:
View attachment 44186

View attachment 44187

Way back in my hang gliding days, a buddy who had one of those Toys and I were driving down a steep switchback, when his (unrestrained) battery jumped out of the bracket and shorted out against the brake line, and this was a single, not dual/ brake line system. When it burned a hole in the line, we lost all fluid, a one in a million chance but it happened. Luckily it happened just right and he was able to nose it into the switchback, otherwise we would have been bailing out. The next day we hand carried a new battery up the mountain, and crept it down in low low, no problem. Great rigs!

You guys have it all wrong I got to buy a 1999 Husky and floats last fall and all it cost me was a new Jeep Wrangler for my Wife! The Wrangler is one of the top vehicles for holding resale value. Its a Jeep thing better than having to buy her a Chevy Tahoe!

Resale value? below is a photo of what my FJ looked like when I bought it, bone stock for $2500.00
The one pictured is now listed for $75k
Ive probably spent about that on mine since I’ve owned it and I’d be hard pressed to get $30k for it.
Doh!
shoulda listened to my dad..
6B56523A-81F0-4F6F-B360-0FF330348BB6.jpg

Attachments

• 6B56523A-81F0-4F6F-B360-0FF330348BB6.jpg
    6B56523A-81F0-4F6F-B360-0FF330348BB6.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 207
Back