• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

lifting and launching

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Hi Guys,we are new at this game and need all the info we can get.We have a superb cub on floats. (PA-18108S).We need to make a spreader/lifting device to lift the rigged floatplane from the grass onto a trailer of some sort to do a launch off the trailer.Any advice on spreader bars, measurements would be appreciated.Our strip is 2000 feet of rough mown grass.Expecting a 10kt headwind for takeoff.Advice on a simple modified trailer.Note;floatplanes in New Zealand not that common so any inputs great.Thanks.

IMG_2772.jpg
Made this to get mine off this past week. Worked great. I needed the elevated bunk to get over the wheel fenders and added a slight angle to help the launch.

Attachments

• IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 251
Hi Guys,we are new at this game and need all the info we can get.We have a superb cub on floats. (PA-18108S).We need to make a spreader/lifting device to lift the rigged floatplane from the grass onto a trailer of some sort to do a launch off the trailer.Any advice on spreader bars, measurements would be appreciated.Our strip is 2000 feet of rough mown grass.Expecting a 10kt headwind for takeoff.Advice on a simple modified trailer.Note;floatplanes in New Zealand not that common so any inputs great.Thanks.

Get a couple friends and lift up on the tail of the plane till you can get a 6x6 under each step. Now pull down on tail till you can get a 6x6 under each float 4 or 5' in front of the first blocks. Repeat till high enough. When you get ready to put it on the trailer pull down on tail and remove front blocks and back trailer under floats. You can wiggle it on the last foot.

Glenn

If you’re going to lift the plane, you’ll need lifting eyes, preferably. Atlee Dodge sells them. Then you’ll need a spreader bar to prevent damage to your top deck. A piece of angle iron works, or similar. Cut it some longer than the width of the lifting eyes, then attach strong eyes to the spreader bar, same distance apart as the lifting eyes. To lift, attach the spreader bar to crane, attach an eye on the spreader to each lifting eye.

MTV

You guys may be missing the part where he wants to launch it off the trailer....... which I assume means he wants to fly it off of the trailer.

yes kg is correct but all info I appreciate .Would anyone have a photo of a cub actually being lifted also please.Thanks .Ron.

Blocking & Rocking takes less then a couple minutes to put a floatplane on a trailer or dolly. We do it twice a year to 5 to 7 aircraft. Simple and safe, did I mention also cheapest way

Glenn

Blocking & Rocking takes less then a couple minutes to put a floatplane on a trailer or dolly. We do it twice a year to 5 to 7 aircraft. Simple and safe, did I mention also cheapest way

Glenn
so what is blocking and rocking

Used this for years before amphibs on my pa-11, it's steerable with a water rudder. exciting the first couple times.P1040450.JPGP1040452.JPGP1040455.JPGP1040458.JPG

Attachments

• P1040450.JPG
    P1040450.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 241
  • P1040452.JPG
    P1040452.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 245
  • P1040455.JPG
    P1040455.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 228
  • P1040458.JPG
    P1040458.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 221
If you’re going to lift the plane, you’ll need lifting eyes, preferably. Atlee Dodge sells them. Then you’ll need a spreader bar to prevent damage to your top deck. A piece of angle iron works, or similar. Cut it some longer than the width of the lifting eyes, then attach strong eyes to the spreader bar, same distance apart as the lifting eyes. To lift, attach the spreader bar to crane, attach an eye on the spreader to each lifting eye.

MTV
thanks mvivion,yes we have the eyes fitted..What I would like to see is a spreader bar in place so we can make one up.

Ron,
This is what they look like........
Mt Cook boys used to know all about them??? When I lived in Wanaka they had two C 206 in Te Arnu on 3430s.20190330_133107.jpeg

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 20190330_133107.jpeg
    20190330_133107.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 245
...Our strip is 2000 feet of rough mown grass.Expecting a 10kt headwind for takeoff.Advice on a simple modified trailer.

Hi ron, How rough is your grass runway? One person's rough may be anything rougher than a golfing green. Is it just a little bumpy or does it have rolling hills?? When you have the plane on a trailer such as Gene's, pulling the trailer over rough terrain would be easy for the floats to bounce off those planks which are under his keels. I would place two long planks across the entire trailer which extend well beyond the keels of the floats just so the bouncing of the ride over the rough grass doesn't knock the floats off the trailer before you get to flying speed. Small wheels on the trailer will make for a bouncy run. Not good.

Every dolly/trailer take off is an adventure until the plane is airborne. Most often they are successful, but sometimes they are not. Been there done that, both! Besides having a head wind make sure that the density altitude is low. It's really disappointing when you get a nice lift off only to find that the plane will not fly out of ground effect settling back onto the ground and have the dolly run into the back of the floats when it catches up to you.

My version of a spreader bar. Different shackle holes for different airplanes. Made from scrap steel and shackles I had laying around.

IMG_0171.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 202
Is this a one time event to get it to the water or will you be landing the floats on the grass ? Maybe just takeoff from the grass on a dewy damp morning?

Is this a one time event to get it to the water or will you be landing the floats on the grass ? Maybe just takeoff from the grass on a dewy damp morning?

Thanks N86250,The old girl has 108 hp,don't know if we could even get a knot out of her?!

Thanks N86250,The old girl has 108 hp,don't know if we could even get a knot out of her?!
Ron,
While I can't vouch for the performance with only 108 hp, a wet grass attempt isn't out of the question. You certainly will not get tangled up with the trailer poking a hole in your floats in the process (done that with a Waco). Make sure that there are no hidden stones or other objects hidden in the grass which could damage the floats. Start the run with the stick full nose down. This will tilt the plane forward onto the curved section of the keels where there is minimum drag. Accelerate in the minimum drag position to flying speed. Accelerate to a speed greater than full flap stall speed since when you attempt to rotate the drag will go up quickly slowing the plane. Pull on full flaps when you rotate.

I have landed on thin snow and muddy grass, with the stick full back the plane will come to a stop at full power using 150 hp. When I pushed the stick forward I was able to taxi it to the hangar very easily.

I also have taken off gear up on dry grass with a Twin Bee. It used less distance taking off than it did landing.

I'd be careful about too much AOA. If flat the airplane will decide when to fly off. With the nose high it may suffer from premature ejaculation, and nobody wins when that happens. ;)

Cubdriver2 answered the first question perfectly. You said you landed it in the grass on floats and now need it on a trailer. In less than 5 min and with just blocks of wood, we get these cubs up on trailers and then reverse the process and put them away for winter storage. We do it with 2 guys even. Then we can either tow the trailer for a takeoff or back it into the water. KISS method and as Glen said cheap.58777123954__D06CFC23-04F6-40A3-AD29-0315E2E134CD.JPGIMG_0320.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 58777123954__D06CFC23-04F6-40A3-AD29-0315E2E134CD.JPG
    58777123954__D06CFC23-04F6-40A3-AD29-0315E2E134CD.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    739.7 KB · Views: 207
Back