• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trig TY 91 Comm Radio ??

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
Anyone using a Trig TY 91 radio? Just looking for any and all feedback about this unit. Considering installing it in my Cub project. Thanks

Good quality radio. Not an especially easy install as it has a separate control head on the panel and a R/T box mounted where ever you want. Makes for a more complex wire harness. But that feature also works well in a Cub panel if you have some type of obstruction behind the panel, since the control head is only about three inches deep, with the connector. It's also a handy radio if you need to control it from two seats as you can install two separate control heads to work the one R/T.

And, as I always do (sigh)I recommend a stand alone intercom with ANY radio. Quicker/easier to adjust on the fly and you can choose models of intercoms to fill your needs, such as more than two seats, extreme high volume, etc.

Web

I like mine. I’ve been using it for 4 years with no issues, except it doesn’t really like -30 but what electronic thing does(it says that in the specs)

The separate R/T box makes it nice. I’ve mounted that on the back on the tube away from the panel.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Did a search on here and didn't turn up those links, so thanks Steve. Looks like the Trig TY 91 is a good unit. I've read where some say 6 watts output is not adequate, some say it's fine. My project is a J-3 converted to a PA-11, so I won't be flying in the Flight levels or crossing the pond. What's the general consensus on 6 watt output? I even talked to a few radio shops and get conflicting feedback. Would like to here from the users. Thanks again, appreciate the info.

Love Trig, would absolutely do it again. It’s a Cub you won’t talk to Center at a hundred miles but for reasonable distances I’ve Approach tell me that I’ve got the best com of the area cub fleet. Really like that you can have a 796 feed it frequencies into standby and the monitor function for the standby frequency is really handy. The menu is easy to understand and use but dimming is manual. Thought I had an issue with it pulled it out and sent it in and received it back with shipping charge only (was out of warranty) plus new mounting bezel and they updated the firmware just in case. but Turned out to be a bad Mag that had killed a new P-lead filter.

Did a search on here and didn't turn up those links, so thanks Steve. Looks like the Trig TY 91 is a good unit. I've read where some say 6 watts output is not adequate, some say it's fine. My project is a J-3 converted to a PA-11, so I won't be flying in the Flight levels or crossing the pond. What's the general consensus on 6 watt output? I even talked to a few radio shops and get conflicting feedback. Would like to here from the users. Thanks again, appreciate the info.

If some one tells you that 6 watts is not enough power, stop talking to them and move away. They don't know crap about radios.

On or near the ground, even a 10 watt radio won't perform well. With a couple of hundred feet of altitude any com radio should start to gain range. Power rating has less to do with range than items such as antenna installation, altitude of the aircraft and terrain. No one, under normal circumstances, NEEDS more than five or six watts.

Web

We were bar hopping on the Brazos River on a Sunday morning with a customer bringing the last Super Cub I rebuilt dowm from Amarillo for the annual. He could hear us and we could hear him at 120 miles out. Has a TY91 radio, I have a KY97 and Tony has a TY91 and we could both talk to him and hear him and we were down in the river.

We were bar hopping on the Brazos River on a Sunday morning with a customer bringing the last Super Cub I rebuilt dowm from Amarillo for the annual. He could hear us and we could hear him at 120 miles out. Has a TY91 radio, I have a KY97 and Tony has a TY91 and we could both talk to him and hear him and we were down in the river.

Sounds like 5 watts does the job. Doubt I'll be doing any transmission of 120 miles, more like 12 miles LOL. Thanks for all the info. I think I've narrowed my choice down.

Back