• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Smokey Bear's Birthday Picture

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
This is supposedly the original Smokey Bear (not "Smokey THE Bear" I have been scolded) rescued by this guy in the PA-12 (I think) in a fire in New Mexico a few years back (like 60).

I obviously don't know all the details, but it is an awesome picture...

smokey.jpg

Attachments

• smokey.jpg
    smokey.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 934
"The best veterinarian for treating wild animals was Dr. Edwin F. Smith, a friend of Bell’s who lived 180 miles north in Santa Fe. Bell placed the cub in a box and on May 10, 1950, the bear cub that became known as Smokey went on his first airplane ride, a 50-minute flight in a PA-12 Super Cruiser from Capitan to Santa Fe."

The rest of the story with photos here: www.piperflyer.org/piper-aircraft-co-history-info/item/1026-smokey-and-the-pipers.html

MY little guy only got a 5 minute ride but made for a good storyIMG_0009.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 169
The rumor was that the current owner of that PA-12 was going to refurbish it in the New Mexico Dept. of Fish and Game scheme and bring it to Oshkosh to display at the Federal Pavilion. Thought it might have happened this year for Smokey's 75th birthday, but apparently not...

Back