Thread: Information needed

Post Thanks / Like

Information needed

I am getting ready to fly a J-3, non transponder, non electric, cub from Alaska to Washington through Canada. I have a US FAA transponder waiver. Iíll be leaving TOK crossing to Whitehorse, following the highway and then south to Washington. I have found that above 54 degrees transponders are not required.

Are transponders required south of 54 degrees only in airspace which normally requires transponders or elsewhere? Is a Canadian transponder waiver available or required? I know that my US waiver covers crossing US borders at least when not crossing an ADIZ.

If anyone knows for sure I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks. Stu

Post Thanks / Like
    An Aircraft that’s never been equipped with an electrical system is not required to have a transponder.

MTV
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    An Aircraft that’s never been equipped with an electrical system is not required to have a transponder.

MTV
    i know that is true in the US, is it true in Canada as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have flown through Canada from Alaska a dozen times. Never needed a transponder. Wanted to know for sure and searched everywhere and only found ambiguous answers. Wrote to the CAA and received an automated response saying that they would get back to me in more than a month, my flight date was set for tomorrow.

I received two phone calls yesterday from an administrator with the CAA. He went out of his way to call since he saw that time was an issue. He advised that south of latitude 54 degrees wich is where the rules were not clear at least to me, that no transponder is required by Canada except in that airspace around busy airports which specifically require transponders. There is no additional transponder requirement for foreign aircraft or transiting aircraft

i complement Canada for being helpful and for being a good neighbor. Stu
    Thanks brown bear thanked for this post
    Likes cubdriver2, skywagon8a, flylow liked this post