• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Climb or cruise prop?

womblesd

O’Fallon, MO
Can someone tell me if this prop, on pa18-160, is a climb or cruise prop, or something in between. Thanks.

Attachments

• C51409CD-1F29-49F7-AAA3-0A5C2FD093CD.jpeg
    C51409CD-1F29-49F7-AAA3-0A5C2FD093CD.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 205
From a practical standpoint, I think that's leaning more towards the "cruise" end of the spectrum. Officially the cruise prop is 58", but that's a LOT of pitch for a 150 on a SC. For typical SC applications, I think you'd like it even better if it was a 54, but if I'm interpreting things correctly it started life as a 60, so it's already maxed out on re-pitching.

From a practical standpoint, I think that's leaning more towards the "cruise" end of the spectrum. Officially the cruise prop is 58", but that's a LOT of pitch for a 150 on a SC. For typical SC applications, I think you'd like it even better if it was a 54, but if I'm interpreting things correctly it started life as a 60, so it's already maxed out on re-pitching.
Where does this come from? I have heard it for years but never had an issue getting a prop pitched to whatever I wanted.

I always thought there was a limit of either 3 or 4 inches of allowable pitch movement in the life of a prop. I've never seen any documentation either, just heard it said more than once. Now I have a homework project.

That's a lot more (8") than I expected. When I had my Borer (different mfg. I realize) bumped from 41 to 42, I'd swear the man at the prop shop said 3" was the cumulative limit. I'll have to call them back to get my memory refreshed.

When I had my TriPacer, I had the 60” pitch prop repitched to either 53”, one inch less than the max allowed. Boy could that thing climb! Didn’t cruise very well though, but that’s what you want for banner towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found some pictures of my last visit to the prop shop and the tool used to repitch.
IMG_20180823_102638.jpg

IMG_20180823_102628.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180823_102638.jpg
    IMG_20180823_102638.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMG_20180823_102628.jpg
    IMG_20180823_102628.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,370
Don't go into the prop shop when they're repitching your prop!
Just like don't go into the kitchen of your favorite restaurant.

I called American Propeller in Redding CA. this morning, and the tech said Sensenich has a limit of 8" cumulative (as Denny's info indicated) and McCauley has no stated limit.

Back to the original question. In Alaska that prop would be called a "Ferry prop" to get your PA 18-160 back home so you can get your spare 82-43 Borer. :oops:
DENNY

I called American Propeller in Redding CA. this morning, and the tech said Sensenich has a limit of 8" cumulative (as Denny's info indicated) and McCauley has no stated limit.
For what it's worth, I have heard that the reason for the two manufacturers having different re-pitching and repairing limits is because they use different alloys of aluminum. They seem to keep this alloy close to the vest as the following is the best I could do in researching the question.

• High-strength, corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy
  • Today, aluminum propellers are often strengthened through the use of advanced aluminum alloys. For instance, the use of copper and zinc mixed with aluminum will alter its properties so that it may be both hardened and softened through the application of heat. Aluminum alloys may contain copper, manganese, magnesium, silicon, and/or chromium to increase strength and durability.

That prop is for a Cherokee C. The S5 denotes that there is an integral spacer which pushes the prop 1-1/4" away from the crankshaft flange for cowl clearance on the PA-28-160 C. Since it is now a 56" pitch it would be a standard prop if on a stock PA-18-150 in between climb and cruise.
This is Sensenich's prop application chart:
http://www.sensenich.com/wp-content...luminum_Propeller_Applications_1349891787.pdf

FWIW that same prop is also used on at least some C150/150 conversions.
Mine had a 52 pitch when I bought it, too flat.
Borrowed a friends 58 pitch, too much prop,
Took my 52 in for a repitch but had some paperwork issues with it, so I ended up buying a new one ordered at 56.
It didn't want to turn up, so took it in for a repitch.
Turns out my new "56" was more like 57 from the factory.
I had them twist it down to about 54-1/2, which was a perfect compromise--
good takeoff & climb, and good cruise too.
My C150TD was a little cleaner (& heavier) than a SC, but I think a 54 or so would be a good all-around pitch for one of those too.

With the spacer??

Yes, a 74DM6S5.
I think the whole FWF package came off a Cherokee.
An engine driven fuel pump (with electric backup) is part of the STC,
mine even still had the cooling shroud & connected scat as per a Cherokee.
Dunno why they stuck with the S5 prop, a standard spacer-less prop fit just fine with no clearance issues.

We modified our cub to 160 two years ago. The prop is a 56" sensenich. Before, when it was 150 hp it felt quite weak during takeoff, but after the mod to 160 in my opinion this pitch is spot on. We get 2500 static and 2600 on climbout. it "feels" strong and the cruise is really good for a super cub, just below 90 KT on wheels at 2400 RPM, and around 83 KTS on floats. We are really pleased with the 56". We tried a 53" also, but this pitch is too small. It jumps up on the step during takeoff on floats, but for a decent Cruise we need at least 2450 RPM.

Back