• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

"Owner Maintenance" in the US?

Yep, I did mine in '88 and had a helluva time because I kept getting motion sickness from the microfische reader pages moving!! Still got the test written before lunch and got a 100%, but didn't feel like eating.
John

The guy I took the test with from the FSDO marked one of mine wrong even though I had the reference that showed I was correct. He said nobody gets 100 on the IA test! Guess you had a better inspector!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I did mine in '88 and had a helluva time because I kept getting motion sickness from the microfische reader pages moving!! Still got the test written before lunch and got a 100%, but didn't feel like eating.
John
You got the AD search right and still had time to finish the test?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I did my IA in 2003. It cost $70, and was a computer type test. Took about 30 minutes. Almost easier to do that than it is to do the yearly recurrent. Maybe they toughened it up since then?

Maybe owner maintenance should require owners taking a class? Get interviewed for competency like a Repairman Cert requires? Not every owner is qualified to work on airplanes but some are. A Repairman approach could make sense.

Maybe owner maintenance should require owners taking a class? Get interviewed for competency like a Repairman Cert requires? Not every owner is qualified to work on airplanes but some are. A Repairman approach could make sense.

Ya, my IA tells me if I see something broken, the only hand tool he wants me to use is a cell phone......... :)

I have no A&P but like many hobbyists whose passion is aviation I can gas weld, Tig weld, do fabric work, I spliced a spar on my J3, I’ve installed floats, skis, ground valves and seats on cylinders, rigged wings, made control cables, etc etc. building experimentals and restoring/refurbishing vintage birds....there are many many in the same boat...give a written and practical (repairman test) if you will or something like that. Those of us who love this kind of thing will do it, some will have others do their work. I believe there will be a few slip shod owners, hell there are now....most will take it seriously and do the right thing. This topic will have as many opinions as can be found in politics and the battle will probably be long. I do believe that many would find value and benefit greatly by a new rule such as this.

You got the AD search right and still had time to finish the test?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Yeah...I was on fire! Started at just a shade after 7am and was done about 12:15. First IA exam that Bob Speicher gave. Leo said he was really groaning, figuring he was going to be there all day!
John

Now my question will be where do the IA ‘s stand. Will there still be a requirement of annual inspections. It seems that may be the case, this will be a can of worms if the FAA half asses the program as they have a tendency to do.

Back