• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New to this

207pilot

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to supercubs. I've been mostly flying 172's and 152's and want to do something different, fly more and fly my own plane. I flew a husky and I like it a lot. And while I cant afford a Husky I think a SC is the closest I can get.

I have a few questions about what to look for in buying a SC. I have a few that I'm looking at and would like to get something within the next month or two. Basically I want to use it to explore. Prob 50% paved runway and 50% not. I'd like to get comfortable landing off airport as well. I would like to take it on longer trips a few times a year. Maybe as far as Florida or Michigan or Nashville. All from Maine.

1. What should I be looking for in a cub?

2. What is considered a high TT? and should a high TT scare me?

3. How easy is it to add extended baggage and a baggage door?

4. How easy is it to switch props and wheels? (if you have 2 sets of each) can this be done my me or have to be a mechanic?

5. What do you think of the Charlie Center wing kit? Is it good?

6. Can 150,160, 180 hp engines be put in any cub or only certain year? how do I find this out?

7. Does the year really matter? is a 1951 cub any different than a 1970 for example? Seems like it matters a whole lot in a car but maybe not an airplane?

6. Any other specific things I should look for in a SC?

7. Any tips on the airplane buying experience in general?

Thanks Everyone! I'm excited about buying a plane, but want to make sure I'm making the correct choice. Any help would be great!

Welcome 207, where in Maine are you? There are several very Super Cub knowledgeable members here in Maine. There may be one near you.

Welcome. You're doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions. I've always thought that the worst of buying anything is to have enough money in your pocket and a fever that blocks out discrimination, due diligence. Without friends, I'd never got through aircraft ownership successfully.

My only thought about SC choice is What do you mean by exploring? My notion of exploring is on floats. Distant travel would be one of Van's taildraggers, fast, good short-field and off-airport, reasonable baggage. These are only tips I can offer at this time. Pete's advice is good way to start.

Lots of good questions, but before selecting a type of airplane, fully define the mission. Once the mission is defined, then select an airplane and modifications/options that satisfy the mission requirements.

There are lots of STC options in the PA-18 series. Your mission should influence which ones will enhance that mission. Those STCs will likely increase your investment in the airplane, so if on a budget choose wisely. A stock PA-18-150 is a very capable airplane for likely 80% of the Super Cub buying public. For a nimble light weight great flying airplane, a 90hp PA-18 or a PA-18-105 Special without flaps can’t be beat, but you sacrifice load carrying capability. It’s only when you start going to the extreme off field stuff that big tires, extended gear, longer props, and modified wings come to play.

Given your limited tailwheel and off field experience, I would suggest a bone stock Cub and fly the heck out of it for a couple years to learn the capability and drawbacks of that airplane. Then either modify it to suite your needs or sell it and get one already modified the way you want. If you get one all tricked out the way you “think” you want it, I’ll guarantee that in a year or 2 you will want to change it because it really doesn’t fit the way you want to fly anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your size is also a factor. I am 6' 4" and 205 and am 71 yo. I sold my SuperCub because I just didn't fit in it well. Can't beat a light C-180 IMHO.

You need to find an IA that has cub experience. Dan would be great. You will find a lot of money pits and problem cubs that look nice but will cost you a lot in the long run. Extended baggage and large baggage doors are nice but trying to add them can snowball real quick. A belly pod a simple way to add storage and keeps the CG in line. Changing props and tires requires a logbook entry, Not hard to do and your IA may sign it off for you. I would not recommend anything less than a 150 HP cub for what you have described. A large percentage of cubs have had damage that could be a good thing if fuselage was replaced or properly repaired in a jig, bad thing if not done right. Lycoming engines don't like to sit, a low time motor that is 20 years old may have issues. Don't fall in love with any plane until approved by your IA!!!! Usually any money you put into any aircraft as an upgrade will not come back at resale. Nothing wrong with buying a beater cub and flying it for a few years to see what you want.
DENNY

With due respect, Spend a couple weeks reading every applicable thread on this forum. After you do that you may have the ability to ask pointed questions rather than loading them in a shotgun and shooting at the moon. Pay your dues so to speak, no one can pay them for you......

And ditto everything in post #9.

I will vouch for Steve's article. I carried it with me while I was on my quest for a super cub. There is also a lot and I mean a lot of knowledge on this forum. Lot's of questions as mentioned above. I looked at a lot of cub's before I bought mine with most of the mods I wanted. Buy the plane not the paint. Chip

I live just north of Bangor. PM me your contact info I will call you when wecget to Belfast. We generally have a varied gaggle of planes from newer to older. You should go up to Sugarloaf and have Sawyer put you in the front seat of his cub for a couple hours he will answer a lot of your questions Sugarloaf Aviation

As Larry said come over to Bowman fly in 24-25. I will get you in my Carbon Cub for a ride

jim

I live just north of Bangor. PM me your contact info I will call you when wecget to Belfast. We generally have a varied gaggle of planes from newer to older. You should go up to Sugarloaf and have Sawyer put you in the front seat of his cub for a couple hours he will answer a lot of your questions Sugarloaf Aviation

As Larry said come over to Bowman fly in 24-25. I will get you in my Carbon Cub for a ride

jim

Beware of that potato guy and his cub... every single person that has flown a Carbon Cub has cried daily if they could not afford one. Sort of like getting your first ride in a P-51.8):lol:

I would suggest you test one out to see if you A. like sitting in it, B. like flying in it, C. Your other half likes it. If that all is a yes, the continue.

I opted for a belly pod over the baggage door. Never regretted it.

Think of a Cub as aircraft legos. Most parts will fit, not all will do what you want. Center wings are fine if that is your choice, but other mods will give the same results. Most all wing mods come with penalties of speed and handling also. A standard bow tip with VG's is about the most enjoyable thing to fly you ever felt.;-)

Dan Dufault is in Lincolnville.

Thanks, I will look him up

Come to our Fly in on August 24th at Bowman Field in Livermore Falls. There will be a bunch of Supercub guys there that would be happy to show you around a Cub.

Larry.

I would love too, but unfortunately I will be at work. I work offshore on an oil rig. I'll be at the Greenville Fly-In though!

With due respect, Spend a couple weeks reading every applicable thread on this forum. After you do that you may have the ability to ask pointed questions rather than loading them in a shotgun and shooting at the moon. Pay your dues so to speak, no one can pay them for you......

And ditto everything in post #9.

Thanks, I've searched a bunch on this forum, but ill keep searching. Lot of good info

Awesome, just read it, thanks for the info!

jim

Thanks for the offer for your ride in the Carbon Cub, that would be amazing! Ill send you a PM now. I unfortunately wont make that fly-in as Ill be at work still. I work on an oil rig. But I will be at the Greenville Fly-In in September!

Last edited:
Back