• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C-180 Club hire

L18C-95

FRIEND
Oxford UK
Sometime ago I spotted, possibly in a thread here, although a search didn’t find it, that there is a mainland USA flying club that has an early C-180 for hire.

A general search brought up a sky adventure outfit in San Francisco for a late model 180, but expect that is for accompanied flights/dual.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Second attempt - is there a club in the mainland USA, with quite a wide range of aircraft, that includes an early C-180 for hire?

I understand there are a few C-180 floatplanes available in BC, but looking for one on wheels.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Why does it have to be "early?" Plus One Flyers here in San Diego has a later version in the club, and we have maybe six folks checked out and two instructors. It is drop-dead gorgeous, and we are very careful about signing folks off for solo, but there you are!

Bob excellent - doesn’t need to be early, and I knew it was in California [emoji3]

Thank you for confirming.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Early model= sports car

Late model= pickup truck

They handle differently, control force increases as the years went on.

Also, the aircraft got stronger and heavier as the years went on as they added doublers and braces where needed.

I knew they were slightly better flying, but I did not think it was dramatic. I only have a couple hundred hours in the early 180, and a lot of that was X-C. I found a lot more difference in the early Super Cubs, compared to the heavy tricked-out 180 Cubs. Now there is a sports car/schoolbus comparison!

I did get some pattern time in a J model with Sportsman plus Micro. I did not think that one flew particularly well on approach. The Club 180 is stock with the Cessna cuff, and it is a delight to handle. I only get every fifth landing, so maybe I am just optimistic?

I knew they were slightly better flying, but I did not think it was dramatic. I only have a couple hundred hours in the early 180, and a lot of that was X-C. I found a lot more difference in the early Super Cubs, compared to the heavy tricked-out 180 Cubs. Now there is a sports car/schoolbus comparison!

I did get some pattern time in a J model with Sportsman plus Micro. I did not think that one flew particularly well on approach. The Club 180 is stock with the Cessna cuff, and it is a delight to handle. I only get every fifth landing, so maybe I am just optimistic?

Dramatic difference from 55 to 56. Gear legs got changed to put more weight on the tail. Then slowly things got heavier, so controls changed form a two finger flyer to a full fist in the late years.

The performance off the ground early to late is a big difference, but some of that is the extra 600 lbs you can Carry; even when both light, the old ones are much more docile.

Dramatic difference from 55 to 56. Gear legs got changed to put more weight on the tail. Then slowly things got heavier, so controls changed form a two finger flyer to a full fist in the late years.

The performance off the ground early to late is a big difference, but some of that is the extra 600 lbs you can Carry; even when both light, the old ones are much more docile.

Personally I like the year they got rid of the slant tanks and put in the outer wing air inlets. What year was that 55? As far as sports car feel I am a full hand flyer.

Actually, "wheels forward" gear legs started in 1955.
same year as they moved the fresh air inlets farther outboard.
Fuel capacity went from 60 gallons to 65 in 1957.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://skywagons.com/content/cessna-skywagon-year-changes[/FONT]

OP here - any 180 would be fine, I had this idea that the one in Gillespie was an earlier model.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I had a 56’ and it was fun flying, the A185F I have now is quite different. The old one was quick and the young one is sluggish, wish that worked in life!

Early model= sports car. Late model= pickup truck.....

I have quite a bit of time in a ragwing 170, I sold it to buy a C150/150 taildragger.
Sold that one to buy my 53 180.
That 150 did fly like a sports car, esp compared to the 180.
If it's a sports car too, I guess I don't even want to think about flying a later model 180!

LOL, you say that until you have a 1400 lb load and are rolling down a mountain strip wanting to make the trees small and they are getting bigger. My 180 had a little less than 900 lb useful.

900 useful, about like mine.
No problem so far, I travel light.
If I was an outfitter, I'd want all the power & useful I could get.

When I flew in Alaska we had 2 185’s and a 180. Scared myself a couple of times trying to takeoff in the 180 with a load!

Back