• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA Tower Marking

"........ lower than 200 feet need to only be included in an FAA-maintained database, which will be updated by the owners of such towers."

Gary
How many people will be reviewing this FAA data base on a daily basis in order to learn if the tower population has changed?

I fly under them a lot, we are surrounded by them. They miss figured the bases on a large farm north of here and had to replace the blades and generators in less than a year.
IMG_20190429_111115.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_111115.jpg
    IMG_20190429_111115.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,664
As far as marking and lighting: FCC - yes; FAA - maybe. That's how I read this> https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/antenna-tower-lighting-and-marking-requirements and https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-17

Required reports to the FAA and repairs of tower lighting: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/17.48

And now as it currently applies to amateur radio towers less than 200' tall:

http://www.arrl.org/faa-tower-regulation-issues
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/faa-r...s-marking-requirements-for-short-rural-towers

"Section 576 of the large 2018 FAA reauthorization now requires that the only towers less than 200 feet tall that have to be painted and lighted are meteorological aids and those within the glide slope of an airport or heliport. The remainder of such towers in rural or agricultural areas lower than 200 feet need to only be included in an FAA-maintained database, which will be updated by the owners of such towers."

Gary

Gary,

Rules are well and good. There’s a large tower just north of Crookston, MN, which had inop lights for at least two or three years or more. It had been reported by at least two pilots I know of, and remained unlighted.

Rules are one thing. Enforcement of rules are something quite different. I’m guessing the FAA receives a report, makes a call and forgets about it.

MTV

How many people will be reviewing this FAA data base on a daily basis in order to learn if the tower population has changed?

Given human nature and culture being what it has become? About as many as obey the speed limit and signal for turns or lane changes. Same for 91.119 and tower maintenance. Unfortunately without enforcement and compliance these rules and regulations only become suggestions. Only the FCC has the hammer if contacted.

Save yourself and watch out for others.

Gary

Gary,

Rules are well and good. There’s a large tower just north of Crookston, MN, which had inop lights for at least two or three years or more. It had been reported by at least two pilots I know of, and remained unlighted.

Rules are one thing. Enforcement of rules are something quite different. I’m guessing the FAA receives a report, makes a call and forgets about it.

MTV
Just hand a reporter the resource information and tower ownership and watch the show.

While I'm sure some enterprising mind can design a light to illuminate the blade tip at its apex, and not fly off due to the speed and force of rotation... wouldn't it be simpler to just extend a mast from the top of the generator to the height of the blade tip and install the light on that? I can't imagine it would have that much of an aerodynamic penalty on the windmill.

From the perspective of a military pilot, the worse offense is lighting some of these towers with LEDs that are invisible through NVGs... I can't fathom how that makes sense to anyone approving these things.

While I'm sure some enterprising mind can design a light to illuminate the blade tip at its apex, and not fly off due to the speed and force of rotation... wouldn't it be simpler to just extend a mast from the top of the generator to the height of the blade tip and install the light on that? I can't imagine it would have that much of an aerodynamic penalty on the windmill.

From the perspective of a military pilot, the worse offense is lighting some of these towers with LEDs that are invisible through NVGs... I can't fathom how that makes sense to anyone approving these things.

Spec the correct light & it’s not a problem.

https://www.flashtechnology.com/flash-announces-new-led-safety-features/

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Spec the correct light & it’s not a problem.

Exactly! Problem is not all of them do! The majority of tower lights out there are visible... but it's not at all uncommon to be flying along and you notice a light in your peripheral vision on a tower that is completely invisible through the goggles.

This is a civilian operations area so civilian rules. And unless you are flying an EMS bird, I doubt you'd be under goggles. On the other hand, when flying through a military operation zone, even the civilians must operate by military rules.

Web

This is a civilian operations area so civilian rules. And unless you are flying an EMS bird, I doubt you'd be under goggles. On the other hand, when flying through a military operation zone, even the civilians must operate by military rules.

Not exactly accurate... military aircraft follow the FARs (civilian rules) when they aren't trumped by a military reg; and you can fly a civilian aircraft through a MOA under completely civilian rules anytime you like. Not IFR if it's active, and not saying it's a good idea... but the rules don't change.

But back on point, yes - EMS, Search and Rescue, Police departments, DoD... there are a lot of entities flying in the airspace with NVGs. The goal should be to keep everyone safe.

Here is a pic of the farm I rent in the center. My landlord didn't sign up in time so is missing out on about $20 thousand a year but the neighbors aren't. When I had the Air Tractor spray I told him to make sure he turned a certain way and he'd have no problem. Sometimes when there are three in a row, the center one doesn't have to have a red light such as the upper left of this picture. The pic of the single one is a mile from me and is pretty.
20190707_092504.jpg

Attachments

• 20190707_092504.jpg
    20190707_092504.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 20190808_093237.jpg
    20190808_093237.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 157
I've done several crane jobs in the wind farms in my area, farmers putting on huge additions or building new, as the money is rolling in from their turbine leases/ payments.6 or 8 K a month, per unit, I heard. Some have multiples, meanwhile they keep farming underneath them pretty much as usual. It'd be interesting to talk to their crop dusters though, they may have a different opinion

Back