• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

An O-360 in an experimental super cub: what would be the best prop?

If I have a duplicate plane of mine and one has 8443 and the other has any of the 86s listed. And we are flying next to each other and both lay the whip to it and climb hard. The 8443 is not winning. Just my experience. I do like 8443. Good all around prop. I will agree with a prop that is too flat. They rage on takeoff but just don’t climb as well.

I don’t think one should go off rpm’s alone with cattos. Compared to metal counterparts at same diameter.

I did notice that the Carbon Cub that took it ALL last fall at the National Seaplane Convention in Greenville was sporting a big long Catto ? No one seams to know the length or pitch? Sounded like a buzz saw when he got after it. Just an observation.......... Some dude named Crane, heard he only eats potatoes?
E

If you are just playing around locally fill your boots get the longest flat pitch prop out there and it will do well. If you need to go anywhere climb over mountains and encounter a headwind on a 150 mile leg home at the end of the day you need something else. In the winds around the coast mountains you need a minimum pitch to maintain a good climb rate and to get enough power at altitude to maintain RPM at that pitch so the engine makes the power you need to get out.
It is Called compromise that is a what a fixed pitch prop is.
If you want to show off at a stol competition and pull up hard on an empty airplane to impress yourself you certainly have the right to do so.
There are great compromises out there -- I am on the wait list for the ground adjustable prop to be able to dial my perfect pitch if Money was no issue I would have a constant
speed out front. My Cub is Certified so Unfortunately I cannot cal Cato to build me the perfect prop for my application.

I have been flying the ground adjustable props for several years now. Started with the world wind and I’m now using the suns neck. It’s the best of both worlds and I never look back. You can make it do whatever you want to.

Obviously, I was talking to my phone lol the props were the whirlwind and sensenich.

All the big power Cubs I know are using the Whirl Wind 200A constant speed. Now that WW isn’t producing them, I’m curious what will replace it. I presume Hartzell. I’d like to see some comparative testing for the 200A and the Tralblazer.

FWIW, the 200A was WW’s best STOL prop, and it’s 80”. They produced 82 and 84” props for lower powered planes. I always thought that was interesting.

Anything over 80 inches goes supersonic at just over 2700 rpm and looses all it efficiency.

The lower the RPM the larger the prop can be and work well.

Engines need RPM to make power -- a condandrum it is

Anything over 80 inches goes supersonic at just over 2700 rpm and looses all it efficiency.

The lower the RPM the larger the prop can be and work well.

Engines need RPM to make power -- a condandrum it is

I disagree. My 180 has an 86" prop and there's no question it makes more thrust at 2700 than 2600. One summer I discovered it was turning 2900 and had to turn the governor down. I was sad. It performed better at 2900. Noisy? Oh, hell yes, but it produced thrust to go with the noise. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Pponk engines turning faster than the 2700 rpm the STC specifies. All a guy has to do is listen.

RPM tip speed noise is related to density altitude, too. When it's -20 and the air is dense the engine makes more power and the prop makes more thrust. Again, very noisy, but the thrust sure is fun.

I'm guessing the loss of efficiency vs RPM is plotted on a curve. I don't have any idea what that curve looks like. Aerobatics guys I know are spinning their props up to 3300 RPM. There must be a reason.

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on the amount of HP gained VS the amount of efficiency lost.

Rest assured that a smaller prop would have given you even better performance without slugging prop tips in supersonic flow.

I will leave it at this - there are way to many internet fights that have little to do with fact of physics and all personal perception.

After all this is supossed to help people make good choices not about us duking it out.

cheers..

According to my calculations:

An 80 inch prop turning 2,700 rpm has a tip speed of 942.5 ft/s.
An 86 inch prop turning 2,700 rpm has a tip speed of 1013.2 ft/s
Speed of sound at sea level standard day is 1,126 ft/s.

I am unable to reconcile my calculations with your statement. What did I miss?

FWIW I get the same tip-speed answers for both props.

Edit: same answers as Frequent did, for each.

Last edited:

I did some browsing. Prop tip speed has to consider the aircraft forward speed not just the speed due to rotation. I also found references that indicate efficiency falls off rapidly as tip speed exceeds about 0.85 Mach.

I found a few interesting articles and will provide links for the curious. (No, I don't claim to understand all the details).

https://www.kitplanes.com/wind-tunnel-52/

https://www.nar-associates.com/technical-flying/propeller/cruise_propeller_efficiency_screen.pdf

https://www.warpdriveprops.com/propspd2.html

https://www.idc-online.com/technica...engineering/Propeller Performance Factors.pdf

I'm happy to be able to spin my 80 inch prop at 2,700 any time I want but it spends most of it's time closer to 2,100.

I did some comparison testing years ago with a 150 hp PA-18 and a 150 hp 7GCB, both on floats comparing the original 7456 with a 1A175GM8241, 8244 and an 8046. The 1A175s all seemed to pull out of the water and climb about the same. The only real difference was in cruise. The 82" seemed to be thrashing around not doing any better than the 80". It was as though the extra two inches was doing nothing. The 80" and 82" had about a 30% better TO and climb than the 7456. The 8046 cruised the same as the 7456.

I've also compared the original 2 blade 185 seaplane prop with a shorter 3 blade. The 3 blade seemed to pull better on the initial take off run. I don't remember the diameters 86" and 80"?

Historically a long 2 blade turning slowly will produce more low speed thrust. This is why the Helio uses a geared engine driving a long prop. As the rpms approach the high mach numbers the tip efficiency falls off.

Good point re forward speed - - So I ran some numbers just for grins and giggles, 30 mph (takeoff), 60 mph (climb), 100 mph (cruise). All at the same rpm. Machs are

80 in 0.84, 0.84, 0.85

86 in 0.90, 0.90, 0.91

For our Cubs, the forward speed is small compared to tip speed so doesn't have a huge effect.

Last edited:
Other than top level STOL competitions, how often would anyone absolutely need 100% maximum performance out of an idealized engine/prop combination?

The only STOL competition I have is with myself. I use everything my planes have every time I commit to taking off.

An O-360 in an experimenta super cubl; what would be the best prop?

I recently attached video cameras to a Cessna 180 Skywagon equipped with a large-diameter “seaplane prop” set to maximum rpm and recorded both its performance and decibel level. With the propeller knob full forward and wide-open throttle, the Skywagon’s takeoff roll was 620 feet and lasted 14 seconds. Once established in a 75-knot climb, it ascended at 1,100 feet per minute, took 1 minute 50 seconds to go from brake release to 1,000 feet agl—and the sound beside the runway was a screaming 98 decibels. Then, at pattern altitude, the pilot reduced engine/prop rpm to 2,500 as per the pilot’s operating handbook.

But what would happen if the pilot set 2,500 rpm on the ground and then went to full throttle for takeoff? Would performance suffer?

On the next two takeoffs, the pilot did just that—and his takeoff roll was 20 feet shorter and three seconds quicker, his rate of climb was 150 feet per minute higher, and time from brake release to 1,000 feet agl was reduced by more than 20 seconds.

Oh, yeah, and the noise near the runway dropped 10 decibels.

The mind-numbing, ear-splitting jackhammer noise of propeller tips hitting the speed of sound is really the mark of inefficiency, wasted effort, and a needless loss of aircraft performance.Klaus Savier, founder of Lightspeed Engineering and designer of multiple aircraft speed modifications, said all airfoils—including propellers—see a sharp increase in drag as they approach the speed of sound.

“The drag rise on propeller tips starts at about 0.84 Mach and goes up sharply from there,” he said. “The loss of efficiency is dramatic.”

Engine horsepower increases with rpm, but as propeller tips approach the speed of sound, the amount of thrust they produce drops off rapidly.

“It doesn’t do any good to add horsepower if you’re losing propeller efficiency as a result,” he said. “That’s a losing proposition.” Large-diameter, two-blade propellers on direct-drive engines are the most susceptible to high tip speeds. Think Cessna 180s and 185s, T–6s, and old Beechcraft Bonanzas.

Reducing rpm at high power settings can have negative consequences, even in normally aspirated engines. In extreme cases, high manifold pressure and low rpm can cause detonation or preignition that could damage or destroy engines. Check with your engine manufacturer to find out whether your airplane’s engine is capable of safely operating at less than full rpm

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
It doesn’t make sense to this Skywagon owner. Here’s a post I made in 2012 regarding noise levels inside my old 160hp/Borer 82-42 equipped PA-12. Not long after I did the same test in my 275hp 180 with 86” 3-blade spinning 2700rpm. The 180 was 3dB quieter than the -12 in all reported operations.

FYI, I took my noise meter out in the plane tonight to identify my own noise levels. PA-12, 160hp w/8242 prop, and a Hot Rod muffler. 1200 rpm warm-up 85db. 2450 rpm cruise 98db. Full throttle 2700 rpm cruise 102db. Driving home in my Duramax pickup, 65db at neighborhood speeds. Turn on the amplified Alpine and turn it up to comfortably loud volume, 95db with peaks to 99db. My ANR Gallet helmet is supposed to have about 30db of total noise reduction. My stereo? no hearing protection there. I think I know why my ears ring.

Last edited:
According to my calculations:
An 80 inch prop turning 2,700 rpm has a tip speed of 942.5 ft/s.
An 86 inch prop turning 2,700 rpm has a tip speed of 1013.2 ft/s
Speed of sound at sea level standard day is 1,126 ft/s.

Per pponk's tip speed calculator:
80" at 2700 = 643 mph (.8677 mach)
86" at 2700 = 691 mph (0.932 mach)
this is at 20' Celsius

ponk sez the sweet spot is .88-.92 mach

tip speed calculator here Props - P. Ponk (pponk.com)

A stock 180 with an 88” seaplane prop spins 2600 rpm. Not a big noise threat. 185s are the noise makers and they do great at 2850 rpm with an 86” prop. I’ll add that those with IO-550s make less noise (2700 rpm) but I don’t see any takeoff length advantage from the 550s. Rate of climb? I hear that’s improved. I can’t observe that difference from my living room. I have a bird’s eye view for takeoff length.

You guys with 0-470s should try taking off with a 100 rpm reduction and see what you think. Better yet, do it on floats. Or draggy spring snow. Adding drag will make you want all your power. To that? I suspect the 185s with 550s benefit. More torque and less prop cavitation should favor the 550. Not like IO-520s are poor performers. They are not.

Last edited:
For the record? Assertions like that in the article aren’t new. I’ve read them since the day I got my 180 and I’ve tried using different full throttle RPMs to see for myself. Regardless of DA, and I see very low DA at sea level and well below zero temps, I use all the RPM I have available. Full rated power is the best performer. Noisier? No doubt, but the notion that noise indicates declining aircraft performance is incorrect in my plane.

I get a kick from watching my 3 year old granddaughter when walking around the airport. She recognizes the noisy planes and puts her fingers in her ears before they go by. The offenders are the Skywagons, Maules, and 206s. She doesn’t react the same way to Cubs, but once in a while there’s a noisy one.

ponk sez the sweet spot is .88-.92 mach

That's higher than other references. E.g. "Prop Tip Speed in Mach. Maximum performance between 0.8-0.92 Mach." ref https://www.warpdriveprops.com/propspd2.html

Anyway, my only reason for computing tip speed was to confirm tip speed is not "supersonic" for 80 - 86 inch props at 2,700 rpm.

Last edited:
I’ve done some anecdotal data gathering while working. My Ag Cat has a PT6 turning a 106” Hartzell 3 blade to 2200 on takeoff, I’m limited to 42.5 psi on the installation which I easily make year round. With maximum drag being made with the fertilizer spreader and a 2200# load of fertilizer, 2200 on takeoff gives great hole shot but doesn’t do much for building speed after breaking ground, 2050 is the sweet spot which lays down the power and builds/holds speed. If you leave the prop at 2050 and get another load, the takeoff is anemic and is slower to build speed once in the air. Flying an R985 seemed the same way with a 106” Hamilton Standard 6101, 2350 will get you moving but 2150 gets you on the step. 2150 on takeoff was nothing special.

..... 185s are the noise makers and they do great at 2850 rpm with an 86” prop......

If there's any truth to this:

[FONT=&quot]"Over .92 mach the airflow begins to detach from the propeller which decreases efficiency and dramatically increases noise. To improve performance and public relations you should consider reducing RPM so as to fall within the .88 to .92 mach range. Your propeller will be producing maximum thrust which is good for you, and less noise which is good for all of us."[/FONT]

I would think that would apply here--
the tip speed calc sez a 86" prop at 2850 is .983 mach.
My ears are bleeding just thinking about it.

“…the notion that noise indicates declining aircraft performance is incorrect in my plane…”

I pulled that quote from Stewarts post above.

noise IS wasted effort. noise DOES indicate less efficiency. BUT, But……….

When I need outta the hole, stuck in snow, gotta get on step before the river corner kindof power, loss of efficiency is not on my mind. Max Thrust is, efficiency be damned!!!

I cant argue with CenterHill Ag about his Cat.

I can argue it over the 985 Beaver, Garrett Otter, SuperCub, 180/185, 206, and PT6 Caravan Amphib.

And my static pull testing has proved it scientifically.

edit: tjat sounded kindof snarky in my “thrust”. Thrust was intended, snarky was not. thanks. d

Last edited:
Back