• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Cessnas?

Great idea. All new skins and wiring.

You two guys above are engineers, rebuilders. Is the cost reasonable? From my current rebuild, I know these aircraft can consume money but to have all new skins and as new structure, now that's appealing.

There’s been a thread going on BCP. It’s pretty harsh towards the advertiser. May or may not be just, however, there are several with personal experiences. More power to him if he can actually deliver something.....there’s a big difference between blue sky and actually remanufacturing ONE for a paying customer. If this guy has any grit or bottom, all of the negative talk should feed his fire to prove the naysayers wrong. Who knows?

One of our longtime members here hooked me up with a guy in Alaska that used to rebuild 180 and 185's from the data plate. Retrospectively the price he offered me at the time I should have jumped on. He had a long history of building beautiful 180s and 185s.

sj

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app

This one falls squarely into the category of buyer beware.

Get a really clear and enforceable contract.

MTV

It mentions factory jigs... that right there tells me someone might have a bunch already invested and is going to go to town!

That said, it could also mean that they have the idea to get LOTS of $ from deposits, then go buy all the jigs...

$400,000 for a 170 or 185? really, look at the price of a new 206, and the rate folks are crashing good planes this year we are going to have a shortage of float planes soon.

There are stories published about this guy making things happen, but there are enough 'personal experiences' from some that show some of his dealings might not be on the moral high ground. I don't have the $$ for a $290,000 185 right now, much less $400,000 for a 170. I would beware, but if that was my desire I would travel down to see the jigs and processes before I walked away without meeting the man.

Remember CC used to sell 'new' cubs?

Skeptics. Maybe he has a sound plan to rebuild airplanes and has a DAR on board to help him. America used to be about dreamers. Now its more about haters. I hope this guys is a huge success.

I hope it works for him and his clients. The one thing he has done over most all other build/rebuild offers on the market is give a realistic finished out the door price. People are rebuilding planes all over the country and calling them like new. Add usually reads something like 1991/2018 cub. Getting around the feds is pretty easy, take the tail off, rebuild the plane, put old tail on, Fly it, sign it off, rebuild tail, just don't try to rebuild it around a data tag. It would be nice to see someone with the skills/money to put a product on the line for people to buy, BUT!!!! How many adds have you seen for the total rebuilt cub that starts at near 200,000 and drops in price as it sits for 1-2 years. For a project like this you need the buyer deeply invested because worth of the plane is in the eye of the beholder. The major problem I see is the resale value once the owner wants to move on. The cost and labor to rebuild a cub and a pacer are pretty close. You can get most of you money back out of a cub, a pacer you will have to fly it out. No right or wrong just pontification over a cup of morning coffee.
DENNY

As a college flunkout in 1962 I bought my Cub. With four degrees, I can still afford to buy and operate Cub-like aircraft. But not the quarter-million dollar variety. I guess I chose the wrong airline . . .

I don't see it. From industry and government statistics, in 1978 GA flew 39.4 million hours in 198778 aircraft. Try to remember how many of those were turbines. In 2017, we flew 25.2 million hours in 211757 airplanes.

At my airport we had one jet in 1978. I think I counted 25 based here two years ago.

let me post this while I gather my thoughts and a caccalator.

yeah - a little more data and a few calculations:

we are at roughly 63% of our 1978 activity in raw numbers, with one whole big chunk of that business jets that really didn't exist in 1978.

But if you normalize for population increase, we are at 44% of where we would be if GA simply stayed even.

Add in that annual inspections are starting to be horror shows, hangar rents are trending upwards, and taildragger insurance is just about to go nuts, and I would say that a good dirtbag Cessna 180 is stretching it for the upper middle class. That was not true when I learned how to fly.

So: like the Carbon Cub, these will be boutique aircraft for folks who have a half million laying around kind of like I have 25 grand laying around for my latest J4. I suppose there are enough of them to make this work. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well, if CubCrafters found their market, he might too. 20 years ago $300,000 and Cub were never in the same sentence.

I would like to see a kit plane offered by Vans Aircraft in Oregon that would closely resemble a 170. Take a 200 hp Lycoming engine.

Before ponying up any money, I'd want to see:
1) some airplanes previous rebuilt, &
2) shop facilities-- including "factory jigs".

I would like to see a kit plane offered by Vans Aircraft in Oregon that would closely resemble a 170. Take a 200 hp Lycoming engine.

Dream Aircraft did that pretty close with their Tundra. Didn’t sell well. Don’t know why.

MTV

Shelved by the owner company. There's a guy on the Skywagon Facebook page building one. I wonder what end end cost will be and then what the asset value will be. I doubt it would sell for more than the real thing but maybe I'm wrong. Its easy to imagine spending 2x market value building one. A spanking new Skywagon would be a treat.

To the topic at hand? If the guy is the real deal he could build a few airplanes to sell. That seems like a better marketing strategy if he can fund it. All he needs is a million bucks to get started, right? Seriously, it may be a good business plan. Signing up pre-build buyers? That'll be tougher.

Last edited:
Kyle does have the factory jigs... He has posted all sorts of pictures on his facebook page restoring them and setting them up in his shop...

Only problem with the guy is he can rub people wrong with his over-enthusiasm and business practices... He sold a set of wings to a friend (the 175 wings he had on his 170 at one point) that was a bit screwy.. My friend though he was getting wings and controls, when he received them the controls were removed.. Long story but he got the controls also but Kyle wanted more money also... Screwy things like that can get a bad rep real quick.. At least the kid came through with a signed field approval to install them on my friends airplane..

I wish him well, but Id stay leery of him until he can get his reputation repaired..

Brian

Edit: This is my friends 170 right after new paint...

8dff95374c6c722f1263f8cbc630fdb0.jpg

I just typed something and deleted it. Maybe people change.

I doubt it! I had Kyle work in my shop for 6 months.

I just noticed that Sisco Guadamuz is the co-owner. I worked with Sisco at another business. He’s a real honest guy with excellent sheet metal skills! If anyone does business with these guys I would talk directly to him.

Last edited:
Cyclone

Shelved by the owner company. There's a guy on the Skywagon Facebook page building one. I wonder what end end cost will be and then what the asset value will be. I doubt it would sell for more than the real thing but maybe I'm wrong. Its easy to imagine spending 2x market value building one. A spanking new Skywagon would be a treat.

To the topic at hand? If the guy is the real deal he could build a few airplanes to sell. That seems like a better marketing strategy if he can fund it. All he needs is a million bucks to get started, right? Seriously, it may be a good business plan. Signing up pre-build buyers? That'll be tougher.

Do you you have more info on the guy building the cyclone. I have one to finish and might need some guidance. Super cubs rock

Back