Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "BEST" tie downs

Post Thanks / Like
    I could be the most unskilled pilot out there and If I made good decisions I would never put an airplane at risk. That includes choosing how and where to tie down an airplane, and when to move it out of a bad situation. High on the list of decision making assets is local knowledge. That’s why employers and insurers place a high premium on Alaska time even though alaska time is no guarantee of good decision making.
    Some places in Alaska the big winds always come from the same direction. Other places as the low passes the wind shifts all the way around the compass rose. This Thread brings back memories of one storm out west where another member here and I spent the night moving our cubs into the wind. By morning our two cubs were the only ones on the field without our wings lying on the ground, including the guys that used the two by four method of lift strut protection.
    In other places moving my airplane out from being downwind of under secured airplanes saved my bacon several times. I did that in anticipation of weather events. Couldn’t have moved once they started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Logjam,

Some very good thoughts. I'm on floats now so along those same lines, multiple ropes, attachments to solid parts of the aircraft, on floats not just the float cleats but around the strut attachments to the floats, on the wing a loop through the wing struts.
    When I tie-down on water I look at which way the winds are blowing and think about what might happen to the airplane if a strong gust came along. Ideally I'd want it to turn into the wind if possible yet not travel down the shore and hit another airplane.
    I use duckbills on shore, a line from the float strut in to shore, a line out to the back of the floats on each side with separate anchors for each.
    I can loose 2 or 3 of these lines and still hold the plane at the tie-down.
    Its also helpful turning the plane around since I can go different directions depending on the wind. It always wants to weather vane into the wind so use it to your advantage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where does one buy the duckbills tie downs with the wire to pull them out? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the Anchorage area we have multiple dealers. Elsewhere? No idea. And FWIW, you don’t pull them out. You might dig them out but I don’t know anyone who would. Use them and leave them.
    Thanks DavePA11 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePA11 View Post
    Where does one buy the duckbills tie downs with the wire to pull them out? Thanks.
    Here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=duckbill+earth+anchors&adgrpid=58883126874&gcl id=EAIaIQobChMIqprBkZjg4wIVUxx9Ch1LQA9SEAAYASAAEgJ 5n_D_BwE&hvadid=274839608079&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9021 324&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=700099299060 5914554&hvtargid=kwd-302450881565&hydadcr=12162_10197798&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_7bcm47x9h1_e

Or, they are commonly used to guy power poles, etc. so an electrical contractor store.

Ive seen them at Lowe’s also.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePA11 View Post
    Iíve never seen the 2 wire duckbills for sale anywhere. Most people add the second wire themselves. Just drill a hole in the longest part of the open end & install your own pull wire. You can get them to come out in softer soils.....not so much in tight compacted earth.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    The company’s that sell the tarp covered buildings sell them, Shelter lodging I think is one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody tried these?

4'' Earth Anchor (4 Anchor Set) W/3/16'' Cable Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWSSFQ2..._d2HqDb2F4MEJM

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the feedback. So even Amazon sells them without the retrieval wire that people add, and from Stewartb the #68 is the correct size. I can see now how this could be an issue at airports on grass for mowers if used for a lot of planes and not retrieved.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Duckbill...gateway&sr=8-1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-31_17-36-37.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	43936

Name:  2019-07-31_17-45-58.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  36.7 KB
    Last edited by DavePA11; 07-31-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In soft soil you can drive 68s with a piece of rebar but in stubborn soils the tempered drive rod is worth having. Rebar will fold up when the ground is hard. The drive rods are very tough, even against glancing blows from a tired old man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by logjam View Post
    I could be the most unskilled pilot out there and If I made good decisions I would never put an airplane at risk. That includes choosing how and where to tie down an airplane, and when to move it out of a bad situation.
    Logjam - I think having the weather smart apps help in forecasting the bad weather to make those decisions. Much harder in the past without them. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chicken Hawk;751654]Anybody tried these?

4'' Earth Anchor (4 Anchor Set) W/3/16'' Cable Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWSSFQ2..._d2HqDb2F4MEJM

These look interesting. Reviews indicate they work well in rocky soil. The aluminum duck bills don't do so well in rocky soil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any experience with the Big Screw tie down system? They claim 1200 lbs per screw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7vG7Qwmnc

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm late to the party.
    I thought Lift Spoilers were the way to go in high winds... someone once suggested strapping a few pool noodles to the leading edge. Or is the concern too much wind on the rudder?

Post Thanks / Like
    They do help I have a set of mesh covers with lift spoilers on them, but you still need a good tie down when the wind blows hard.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoilers on top of the wings help reduce overall lift but there's still some wind that pushes on the wing's bottom and tail. Swirl's around and buffets the entire plane. If there's loose snow blowing the wind's pattern can be seen. Solid covers unless vented or made of mesh will blow up off the wings and can damage the trailing edge and controls by getting too tight. Cessnas and others can end up with bowed tops to the ailerons as a result of that wing cover tension.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    New improved Duckbills.

Name:	IMG_0246.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	44377

Name:	IMG_0247.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	44378

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks cubflier, WindOnHisNose thanked for this post
    Likes 46 Cub, TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The design's stepped end mimics some of the newer ice spuds used to open holes for fishing. They gradually penetrate hard surfaces rather than the whole end trying to go though all at once.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Had my pacer tied down in Dickinson ND with heavy duty racket straps. The forecast was calling for 70mph wind with higher gusts. Made me nervous so I bought some rope and double tied all three corners. Glad I did wind blew at 90 degrees and two straps failed the rope saved my plane. Now I donít use straps, they start to fray then tear

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Likes TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless twisted along their length flat straps will flutter and can fail.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Yah, like Tacoma Narrows Bridge - ha!

Shanghai Tower (super-tall) has a twist to it, supposedly for that same reason (vortex mitigation). https://www.google.com/search?q=shan...QL0Ex73P695SM:
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Von Karmen shed vortices are a contributing factor.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Unless twisted along their length flat straps will flutter and can fail.

Gary
    Right. I learned that from hay truckers long ago.
    Thanks Coulee Clipper thanked for this post
    Likes CharlieN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    ….. The tail tie down failed because I had it fastened to the tail spring loaded handles. The 60+mph first gust ripped the eye off of the handle leaving the claw in the ground. When the plane spun 180 into the wind, it pulled up the Wing Claws. …...
    I've seen this kind of thing in different type of failures,
    most notably, a scaffold-- one support was hit by a truck and collapsed,
    bringing down the whole structure.
    It was fine, however, until that first support was damaged.
    I'm curious why you fastened to the eye(s) in the pull handles?
    Do you not have the eyebolt where the tailwheel assembly attaches to the stinger?
    That, or the t/w fork or head itself, seems to me to be the best attach point(s).
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont forget a very important factor to holding a Cub in winds in excess of 50kts is the flimpse piece of channel that conects your spar to your strut is the fuse........ Hundreds have failed over the last 65 years. The best ropes and tie downs are useless to you, when this part fails. Atlee has two different cures. Either modify yours or its simply a matter of time before you
    will learn the hard way........

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks Colorguns thanked for this post