• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

0-200 Puking Lots of oil

I took my oil separator off because I was finding water,lots in the return to the sump.I will clean the belly.
Maybe I am wrong but my oil consumption is not an issue.

1 qt. To 11/2 qts every 10 to 12 hours has been my experience

The oil pump's output may exceed the crankcase's return passages flow by gravity back to the tank (may be engine level attitude dependent). Also, more oil = more residual and mist left in the crankcase to drain due to lower sump lift head required by the pump = more pump output?

Piston ring seal is required through the entire stroke's length along the cylinder wall not just at TDC compression as normally tested. Test along the compression stroke for any variance. If they leak blow-by can happen.

Most oil rings are three piece scrapers that feed excess oil through their open middle back through the piston's skirt. If they don't work as intended more than normal oil gets consumed.

Gary

s-l500.jpg
A-80 pistons. continental at one time, looks like they tried 5 rings to fix some problems. lot of friction on the cylinder wall.

Well there is only 1 oil ring on those, the others were compression and scraper rings...and have you ever weighed them and compared them to a 65 pistion? Those things were like lead slugs putting a ton of force on the connecting rods compared to 65 pistons. if I remember right, GO-300 and some 125/145/O-300 pistons had 5 rings too

Removeing the gear off the front of the cam on a 0200 has been talked about here before . Just remember you can remove the gear BUT you have to install bolts back into the cam ! If you don't you will have "very very" low oil pressure .

You will have zero oil pressure. When I built my o-200 I left off the gear and bolts. Could not get any oil pressure. Had to spilt the engine and fix it. In the summer I Polk a hole in the top of a plastic pop bottle and put the tube in the drink hole . Keeps the oil off the belly and you can see how much oil is being burned and how much is blow by

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I did read that but I was Concerned with no safety wire one might back out and then loose oil pressure and trash the engine or worse. So with a lot of cussing my self I split it. Good practice right?

Absolutely good practice Doug, you won’t never get me to say you did wrong the way you handled it! Still wonder to this day if I should have. BUT, For me, After all the pondering the consequences of......All the bolts in all the places that are not safety wired, Also even if one does come lose, Should cause only a slightly lower oil pressure unlike if all were out. The screw itself would just drop in the bottom of the case causing no problem and easily retrievable . The engine is experimental so no issues there.
Like you and Ol Tom Sawyer though , I had to Christian cuss myself for awhile just to get the taste outta my mouth!
BTW... over 350 hours on it now

Back